Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have play in my wheel when its jacked up and i pull from top to bottom its has a significant amount of play like almost 1 Cm now this is for sure the wheel bearing (note the ball joints are good i checked them!!) reason i ask is cause im about to remove the knuckle tomorrow and take the new wheel bearing i already bought and have them press out the old one and press in the new one and i just want to make sure the bearing is the prob, even know im 90% sure it is.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Get another person to help. Jack up the front of the car. get the helper to put one hand on the top of the wheel, and the other on the bottom. You should put your hands where the ball joint joins the A arm. Get your helper to pull the wheel in and out, while you feel for play at the ball joints. Another way is to put a lever, like a long piece of iron pipe under the front tire, and lift it up and down while you look carefully at the ball joints to check for play.

That should help you figure it out.

2,707 Posts
I don't have any Legend drawings in front of me so I can't suggest specific areas to check, but keep in mind that there are other components down there that can loosen up - not just ball joints. Get that thing up on some jackstands and get underneath so you can confirm the location of the play you are describing. A partner would come in handy. A worn/broken bushing could produce similar symptoms. I'd hate to be reading another thread later in the week describing how your brand new bearings roll great, but you still have a loose front end.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i already said its not the ball joint, i have check bother the upper and the lower, the movement its comming from the center of the wheel behind the rotor and there is noise, there is a sorta grinding sound, i could really hear it when i had my 18s on but its not a bad now with my winter rims.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Now THAT sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Just tryin' to make sure you didn't go spending money on something that was not bad.

·
Registered
767 Posts
bro take your wheel off and wiggle the actual hub.. if its as bad as it sounds then you should be able to do easily garunteeing its a bearing.. dont forget that when you change offsets you change bearing loads so it will change when you change wheels(if the offsets are different)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
As already mentioned, a defective bearing will grind/growl. It will also probably be seeping grease (due to friction).

I have never heard of a Legend hub bearing wearing out. However, you already have the part and if the vehicle has over 100k miles, replace it.

In the future, please post vehicle mileage. It helps to accurately diagnose.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Roger said:
really there are many people on the forum who have had to replace the wheel bearing

ps my milage is in my sig
Just curious -- at what respective mileages were the bearings deemed to be unservicable? Were tie-rods or ball joints also changed at the same time?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Without meaning any disrespect a couple of points weren't mentioned. It is important to note whether the ball joint is under compression load or tension load before attempting to check it. If the forces of the spring and the weight of the car are trying to pull the ball joint apart, you have to apply a load that compresses the ball joint, while lobserving the free play. This would be the case if the ball joint was between the steering knuckle and the a arm. The compression would be achieved by putting a long bar under the tire, and levering the tire upwards while watching the ball joint.

If the ball joint is in compression, the idea is to try to force it apart, while watching. But this is already a long post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.