Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here having this same problem? your mid bass tend to make cracking sound when u turn up your volume? My friend have the exact same component in his 2000 accord and they sound really good. Could it be our over size 6.5 and the speaker don't fit perfect in there that's causing this? BTW: my speakers are new so they're not defected or anything.

·
Registered
671 Posts
danny - check the polarity on all of your connections... i rewired my whole system a few months ago, and i ended up swapping one set of my inputs (+ & - were switched), thus causing a sort of cancelling effect. you can basically tell if this is true by moving the ballance all the way to one side, and then turning the volume up. if it magically sounds better, then you have most likely inadvertently swapped a + & - wire somewhere along the line. good luck,

wally

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this isn't the problem, because I used a battery to check my polarity. Everything is the way it should be. I just re wire my speakers 2 weeks ago, it did improved but doesn't sound nearly as good as others.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought there was a lack in my midbass so I started asking around and this was the solution that was provided to me and what I did:
B/c of airspace configuration no speaker other than factory will sound quite right with out additional components in place to help them. I took my door speakers and set the filters on the amp for hpf andleft the dB boost around the middle and then tuned them by ear on the crossover. I then took the 6x9's in the rear and cut the tweeter wiring so that the woofer was the only thing working, then I left the filter on normal on the amp but adjusted the crossover to allow only frequencies from 45 to 100 (or 110) and then set the dB boost on the crossover to about half. from there I can control the rest from the radio and imaging enhancer. sounds great to me and was relativelt cost efficient

·
Registered
248 Posts
usually, when I see lack of midbass, its usually one of these reason:

1. lack of power, you will be surprised how much more powerful a 6.5" midbass can sound when you send it 100 watts RMS versus 50. point in case, I have done two cars with the same fornt speakres, a set of crystal 6.5" coaxials (which are the BEST in the price range I may add), each in kick panels, one in the prelude with 50 watts RMS of aura powre, and the other 110 watts RMS also kicks, of autotek power.

let me assure you that the midbass differ4ence is night and day, with the 110 watt amp, the midbass was literally thumping your chest, everything had a ton of impact, blue man group was a pleasure to listen to. where as with 50 watts rms, it was MUCh more subdued.

2. lack of enclosure, when you put a midbass in a small sealed enclosure, you will notice a big jump in midbass output, if they are in doors, see if you can build a fiberglass enclousre around the back and sealed it. this is another erason why I like kick panels, because they provide a enclosure fo rhte speaker, this is also the same reason why q-forms, which are open backed, are not as desirable for midbass output. of course it varies from speaker to speaker, some midbasses, such as morel and dyn, acutally prefer free air installation, but those I seem to have the best of luck with a kick panel ported behind the carpet itno the firewall space.

3. cancellation: reverse the polarity on one of your midbasses and see if that helps.

4. in correct xover frequency. check to see if your midbasses are not crossed too high, or perhaps too low if your speakres are not up to the tasks.

thats the usual suspects, see if any of these will give you a boost.

b

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried every xover point possible on my EQ with my xover on my amp turned off. my friend has the same front powering off a 40x4 kicker amp and it sounded real good, 50 watts to these should give me decent mid bass, the problem is my speakers makes cracking sound as if they're moving back and forth too much. it's not banging on anything either I think my next step is to use the stock speaker pods and cover the whole thing up using bondo or fiberglass to seal it. I'm 100% sure that the polarity is correct cause I've checked many times.

·
Registered
248 Posts
hmmm...cracking sound is not what I would call a midbass problem...could it be a loose voice coil on the midbass speaker? Ihave heard someting like that and it occasionally does sound like crackling...

only other thing I can suggest is building an enclsosure for it, not sure what your friend has, but your door may be not very good for midbasss response?

keep me posted.

Bing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts