Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '91 LS Coup that seems to have a very slow leak in the cooling system that I cannot identify. After driving the car, there is the faint smell of anti-freeze coming from the engine compartment. I cannot see any fluid anywhere, and it does not drip on the garage floor. The coolant level in the resivoir goes down very slowly (it went from MAX to MIN in the span of about 3 months). I am thinking that maybe it is a leak in the radiator that is so small, the fluid evaporates before it gets a chance to collect anywhere. The radiator does have 119,000 miles on it, and most of those miles were spent in the winters of Minnesota and in the Colorado Rockies. Any suggestions other that the radiator? I am not ruling out a head gasket, but the fact that I can smell anti-freeze leads me to believe this is not the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had a problem with overheating, but I have only had the car since December. When I got it, it was a basket case mechanically. The flywheel was broken (automatic), the transmission was in the trunk, and there was a box of parts on the passenger seat. After a month of work and several trips to the parts counter at the dealership, I was driving. This is the only real problem that has surfaced so far. I really do not have a good feel for the history of the vehicle, and I am still learning about these cars (this is my first Legend).

·
Follow Me
1,272 Posts
Dwight said:
I have not had a problem with overheating, but I have only had the car since December. When I got it, it was a basket case mechanically. The flywheel was broken (automatic), the transmission was in the trunk, and there was a box of parts on the passenger seat. After a month of work and several trips to the parts counter at the dealership, I was driving. This is the only real problem that has surfaced so far. I really do not have a good feel for the history of the vehicle, and I am still learning about these cars (this is my first Legend).
This guy used my name as his user name!:werd:

·
Registered
896 Posts
look for what looks like engine oil building up. I smelled anti-freeze from day one that I bought my last legend (25,000 miles w/ factory warranty still) and compalined several times. The bottom of the engine built up a light oil mist over time but not enough to drip. Eventually about 75,000 a green drop began to form on the drives side (Legend) near the A/C compressor. It turns out the water pump seal was always bad and that is where the weep hole drips too. Once the water pump (and timing belt) were replaced the bottom of the car has been dry. So you are looking for a wet spot that looks like oil dripping or leaking.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
how about the bypass heater hoses in the back? Couldn't they have a small leak resulating in the coolant loss?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rear Hoses..............

I would check the rear hoses along the firewall. They are hard to get at, but my car had the same exact symptoms and it was a very small leak in the hose where it went into the motor. This small leak dripped (sometimes sprayed a mist) antifreeze onto the exhaust manifold directly underneath it and I would smell "Burning" antifreeze once in a while. Also I would occasionally see steam from the antifreeze evaporating as it landed on the hot pipe. It was hard to get at to even see because of where the hose goes into the motor. You have to follow the Tranny dipstick down and you will see one of the hoses where it goes into the motor. That is the one that was bad on my car. Are you smelling the antifreeze while driving, sitting or just when the car is running?? That will also give you a better idea although the way the system works is that the antifreeze should only come out (or leak) when it is flowing through the system (pressurized)......ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU ARE BLEEDING THE AIR OUT OF THE SYSTEM WHENEVER ADDING ANTIFREEZE (EACH TIME!!!!!)..................-Vas-

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Re: Rear Hoses..............

VasLegendSedan said:
I would check the rear hoses along the firewall. They are hard to get at, but my car had the same exact symptoms and it was a very small leak in the hose where it went into the motor. This small leak dripped (sometimes sprayed a mist) antifreeze onto the exhaust manifold directly underneath it and I would smell "Burning" antifreeze once in a while. Also I would occasionally see steam from the antifreeze evaporating as it landed on the hot pipe. It was hard to get at to even see because of where the hose goes into the motor. You have to follow the Tranny dipstick down and you will see one of the hoses where it goes into the motor. That is the one that was bad on my car. Are you smelling the antifreeze while driving, sitting or just when the car is running?? That will also give you a better idea although the way the system works is that the antifreeze should only come out (or leak) when it is flowing through the system (pressurized)......ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU ARE BLEEDING THE AIR OUT OF THE SYSTEM WHENEVER ADDING ANTIFREEZE (EACH TIME!!!!!)..................-Vas-
Those are exactly the same hoses that I was referring to. Those hoses are back along the firewall and are very difficult to reach.
One of those hoses leaked in my car and resulted in BHG.
Make sure that you look into that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts