Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I what to figure out if I need to replace the whole rack because its leaking fluid. Found a Maval online for $314 plus core etc.... I'm curious if rebuilding is an option for me since its leaking, or just have whole rack replaced? The problems pretty straight forward, it leaks when you fill it. No power steering after the fluid is empty.

The power steering pump should be fine, correct? and is there anything i should make sure the shop does when replacing the rack?

Personally, I've never filled the power steering fluid - got this car from a friend, but I've seen what happens. Is there anything I can try putting into the system that may stop the leak?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
It all depends on where the leak is! If it is leaking from the boots on the rack then you need to have the rack rebuilt or replaced. There is a guy on eBay that sells a rebuilt rack for G2's for just under $200 including shipping in the 48 states. If you search, I just recently put a link to one of his racks on another thread. If the leak is in one of the lines then all you would need to do is replace the line or lines that leak. When filling make sure Honda PS fluid is used.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have used the lucas power steering stop leak before in another car and it actually worked very well this is one area of the car that i would suggest doing this to. never use radiator stop leak.

·
KA8 Legend Killer
452 Posts
i have used the lucas power steering stop leak before in another car and it actually worked very well this is one area of the car that i would suggest doing this to. never use radiator stop leak.
That's exactly what I did. I was surprised it worked so well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the p/s pump need to be replaced when changing the rack? I'm pretty sure the rack is the problem in its self. I never saw the leak (it was my friends car at the time) and I never tried putting fluid in it. Feel a little play in the steering wheel and vibrations when driving/braking (new pads all-around - new calipers up front). Is the vibration a result of the rack/no power steering?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
If you've been running the PS pump without any fluid in it, I wouldn't say it is fine, could be but might not. Normally the rack seals start leaking and they need to be rebuilt or replaced, that would normally not require a new PS pump. The pumps are relatively inexpensive though, in the $30-40 range for a used pump. The vibration could be from many things; the rack, the tie rods, unbalanced wheels, ball joints, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've put about 5,000 miles on the car in 2007 (10 months) without fluid in the P/S pump, so its been quite some time. Is there anyway to determine if the P/S pump is good to use or? High-pressure hose should be good-to-go if it wasn't leaking, correct?

I'm going to check everything out Saturday and see whats really going on down there.....

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
The high pressure hose should be fine if it was in the first place. The only way I know of to easily check the ps pump is to put some fluid in there and see if it pumps it. I would still recommend putting some ps fluid in and finding where the leak is before you do anything else. Replacing the rack is a bit of a pain and will require an alignment after so for me at least it would be worth a couple of pints of ps fluid first to figure out where the leak is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I think that makes sense. Should I still stick with Honda ps fluid for testing? If i remember correctly, my buddy pointed out the leak and it was on Pass-side from below (right around the tire) - In that general area the only thing i can think of without inspecting is the tie-rod rack connection or where the p/s pump is. I'm going to do a visual inspection today, at least see whats going down there. While I'm testing, would you recommend i throw some Lucas power steering stop leak (or another brand) in there and should i fill her up with the Lucas first then p/s fluid or another method?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok.. this is what happened. During all of this, I did not turn the steering wheel. started the car and the fluid was pumped through. I stopped the car and filled up again, started it, and it got pumped through again, and still no signs of leak. I inspecting the pass-side boot (boots seemed ok, not torn etc), nothing. Nothing was leaking from the hose or pump in that immediate area up front (pass-side). I filled up again and started the car, it pump the fluid through and i left the car running. Then, i started to hear the leak. It turns out its leaking on the driver side, but more central ( a little away from the left boot-not right next to it). I did not have the wheel off the left side. The carriage like object that was bolted in with 14mm and 17mm-going across the bottom was blocking my view and a bit difficult to really take off.
here is a picture from behind the left front tire, so you see the left boot on the left, facing the front bumper. You'll see fluid dripping from the 2nd hole on the back side of the brace - after the 3rd bolt. First 2 were 14mm bolt then 17mm. Are there any connections/hoses in this area that could be leaking or is it the main housing of the rack?

Photobucket

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
That is exactly where all the lines connect to the rack. The 14mm bolts hold that protector plate on and the 17mm actually hold the plate and the actual rack in place where it connects to the steering column. Without dropping that protector plate you won't be able to tell whether one of the connections is leaking or the rack itself. Here is a pic of my old rack looking down from above where the steering column hooks up to it. Notice the 3 pieces of paper towel sticking out, that is where the connections are along with 1 underneath.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Excellent, thank you bro. I really appericate our help, everything you've said has been very clear and clutch in diagnosing this. Do i have to worry about the rack dropping once one pull all 14mm,17mm and proctector plate? What you think about the pump now?

After i found the leak, i decided to drive the car around the block with fluid in the system to see how it would respond. The steering was a bit better, but was not as good as i thought it would be with fluid. I thought it would just leak while the rack was functioning, but clearly not the case here. The wheel was still very heavy with fluid and did not help.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
There is a bracket on the passenger side that holds the rack up, but on the drivers side once you remove those 17mm bolts the only thing holding it up is the connection to the steering column. As far as if the pump is good, still hard to tell as there are many other parts that could still cause your problems. Have you looked at the online manual, there is a link to it stickied at the top of this page. There is a long list of troubleshooting tips there including how to test the ps pump using a pressure gauge. Your other option of course is to just replace the rack with something like:

eBay Motors: 100% remanufactured 1991-95 Acura Legend Rack & Pinion (item 270210484122 end time Apr-08-08 16:46:09 PDT)

This guy gives a 24 month warranty on his racks but does require you to send him the core.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I'd like to provide the out come of my situation to further help others.

Due to the location of the leak and 'ari one', I held off on ordering a steering rack. It was leaking towards the middle, off-set towards the driver side, right above the protector plate underneath. I did not want to get underneath the car since i only had a jack and no jack stands. Had a honest mechanic look at it. He put Honda p/s fluid and a die to locate the leak. Turns out the rack is not leak. The return line (line #7 in the Acura diagram) was leaking due to rust. Also the feed hose (line #5 in the Acura diagram) was a bit rusty and could be a problem in the future and he suggested changing that one too.

So, this is where it stands now. Their charging $194 for the high pressure hose and $40 for the return line, all oem parts. I know i can get this cheaper but the car is at the shop and they'll have the parts tomorrow, so i didn't even bother searching or waiting for delivery. He quoted me 3 hrs labor. Could have got this fixed for cheaper, but this isn't all that bad since i didnt have to do anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts