around spending that kind of money?
I like the Bose, but want to switch to
Infinity. Any info will help! Thanks!

Michelle

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Common problem with the LS Bose :(

Did the $800 include the speakers and whatever else you were going to put in it? Maybe you should find a friend who knows audio systems and would be willing ot do it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Legend Bose amp

I know quite a bit about stereo systems, but I have
never dealt with the special Bose set up. That price
was, if I remember right, for the re-wire with wire upgrade
and amp. I already have the speakers I need. I wouldnt
let anyone other than a professional do it. I guess im just
in sticker shock. Id rather spend $800 on a second amp!

·
LEGEND
909 Posts
yea thats the thing with the legend bose, you have to replace everything if u wanna get rid of the Bose, never knew it was THAT pricey though...

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
$800 is too much IMHO. Get more advice from other G1 owners, and try and gt in touch with Alexei. He is the G1 expert. I am still unclear why shops tell people they need to rewire a BOSE equiped system. Does the wiring BOSE use have special properties for special electrons or something? I don't believe the wiring in BOSE equiped cars car what headunit and speakers are passing the electrical signal. A wire is a wire. I'm not 100% familiar with the G1 BOSE with individually amped speakers, but I am familiar with the G2 system, and I've had very little trouble interfacing aftermarket equipement with the BOSE, or using the OEM wiring for aftermarket equipement. I personally have since rewired my speaker wires, but that was only within that past year and to accomodate my component speakers.

G

·
Re: Legend Bose amp

LegendLSGirl said:
I know quite a bit about stereo systems, but I have
never dealt with the special Bose set up. That price
was, if I remember right, for the re-wire with wire upgrade
and amp. I already have the speakers I need. I wouldnt
let anyone other than a professional do it. I guess im just
in sticker shock. Id rather spend $800 on a second amp!
Hmmmm, me and my friend do our soundsystems all the time, but neither of us our professionals. Once you do it, it's easy, cause there really isn't that much to it as long as you know all the little tricks. If you can find a friend who has done it before and read up on the subject or had someone knowledgable teach them then there is probably nothing to worry bout.

·
Registered
864 Posts
as far as i know, you dont have to rip out all the wires and re-wire. What spkrs are you planning on running instead? Tha amp will have to be wired in (youre replacing the head-unit right?) but $800 sounds waaayyy steep. I think their full of sh!t. i know Bose is harder to replace then anything else. but its not like you gotta start from scratch (as far as i know, but i could be wrong) pro's all the way, i understand where youre commin from. are there lots of pro-audio places around where you live? Shop around, and if u can bring someone with you that knows a lot about car audio / a lot about Bose, that may be helpful. the more u can intimidate a sellsman the better! (imo) also, try to pull off one of those 'free-instals' if u can get one. hah, then its on them :p

goodluck
-bryan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bose system

I wanted to replace the bose with the new oversized
6 1/2's from Infinity. I have a nice deck already. I am
probably going to ditch my bandpass box for something
that sounds better w/my car. Thanks for all the help...I know
the Bose works off 1 ohm, instead of the 4 or 8 ohm most
generally used...that is why the amp has to be by-passed
or taken out completely.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Also, electronically, an amp doesn't care what impedence (1ohn, 2ohm, 4 ohm and so forth) it is driving. The difference will simple be in output power. more impedence, the less output power. It will be simple like turning the volume down, or using a weaker amp. Other then that, the amp will drive any speaker. The biggest problem with BOSE is the equalization they tune into each of their components. Taking one of the components out could alter the total frequency response of the system to something that you do not like. Adding an EQ will fiz mostof that problems though. But if you already have a good aftermarket headunit and amp, simply replace those parts. You could use a wire harness to connect the deck to the OEM wiring, add in the amp, and splice that into the OEM speaker wiring, and simply replace the speakers. It is that simple. Not any different then adding a new stereo into any other car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts