Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright my mom bought this car in 95 and rode it until October 04 before the motor just died, but before that someone hit the car and damaged the driver side door it was a huge dent but some guy started fixing it but went to the auto part store to get something and never came back ( we think he got lost and didnt remember the way back )..

Anyhow we (me) are finally getting it fixed new motor being put in right now and I have bought a new door this is where I need some input from you guys. I've been educated a little more since I bought the door because at first I was calling around to see how much it would cost to have the door put on and some people were saying 80,150,300,and even 900 dollars just to put the door on because doors are tricky with all the wiring that goes along with them, but I have the door at my house and by the looks of it looks like the wiring just has to be plugged in because all of the wires are connected to these plug like things..

Anyway I have some pictures here of the old door and the new door.. How much do you guys think it should cost?
PICTURES OF DOOR

OFF TOPIC: The bumper fell off too, dont know how but the things the bolts are drilled through to connect the bumper to the car they are broken is there anyway to have the bumper repaired or would I need a whole new bumper? I think its called a bumper cover actually but I dunno any help is appreciated

· 'hood Garage
3,177 Posts
dirty georgia boy said:
( we think he got lost and didnt remember the way back )..
That's hilarious :giggle: :giggle:

I think it should cost nothing ($0). Especially being that you have both doors. Taking off the original door will show you how to install the new one. It's really not hard at all. Save your money or if you don't have a tool kit take your money to the store and buy one.
All you need is someone to help hold the door for you 'cause those suckers are heavy. The wiring is plug and play nothing complicated. Then just line it up nice.

At least try it first.

· mods: yes PLEASE!!!!
10,088 Posts
for your door i had some passenger side damage that reguired 2 new doors and a rolled rear quarter panel. plus paint ( i have a 2 tone so expect more) the total was roughly $3000 so 900 for a door and instalation sound about right but dont forget about paint. you may want to search for the repair manual and buy a door and install it urself. BTW WELCOME to the FORUM!

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I can buy a repair manual and do it myself? My dad will help me he says that I need a 2 ton jack or somethin will the door need to be jacked up? Also if I were to buy the repair manual where could I purchase it? Thank you.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mondonalds said:
Go here for a downloadable manual (link in red at top of page)

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71633

Also, that thread has tons of info about the Legend.
I read that and it told me how to take the door panel off and thats quite helpful but I need to know how to actually take the door off like what kind of tools would I need because I have no clue! One day im gonna be a expert like you guys just need a little help now.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
ok to remove the drivers door, you must remove the fender. that will alow you acsess to the 4 bolts that hold the door on

to remove the fender

remove the fenderwell. you will need to remove your front tire to remove it. when removing the fender well, there are many many little screws, if it doesnt just fall off there is probably a screw you forgot. after removing the fender well, you need to remove the little peice of sideskirt that is right under the fender, there are a few screws for that.

now you need to remove the fender, this is pretty simple, there are 4 screws inside the engine bay on the top undo those

now the back to the fender well, there should be one bolt holding the fender on a bracket near the front bumper undo it

now where you removed the small piece of sideskirt, there should be another bracket, just like the other.

now that the fender is unattacheted from the car except the bumper, just pull back on it to release it from the bumper

now you have the fender removed and the 4 bolts for the door easliy accesed

sorry if its full of typos, im very tired

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the help! I'll be getting the car back on Monday so i'll probably put it on Tuesday and i'll update u guys!

Anyone know anything about the bumper?

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It came off because like the things on the bumper that connect it to the car like where the screws go thru are broken and instead of them being that circle the things are broken so its open so if a screw would go in it would slip right off.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright well ive removed some of the fender but there is one bolt I cant seem to get to and then theres another bolt that u would normally use a phillips head to take off but when i put the screwdriver in and started to turn it the screw just started like falling in where its not even compatible w/ a phillips head anymore!

what can i do to get to the bolt inside the door too?if i put my socket in i cant turn it b/c the door is in the way but i can get it around the bolt..plz help i gotta goto work in an hour maybe ill have some responses by the time i get home

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
I think that bolt in the door jam is a 10mm. Go to an auto parts store and buy a 10 mm 6 point box end wrench (12 pt will work, by may strip the head even more). You should be able to remove this bolt with that. The slide pin bolt for the bumper will require a set of vise grips (mine did) to remove. Just clamp them on and spin it off..

· Registered
198 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright got the panel off (almost anyway) cant get that damn door handle disconnected argh

Anyway i'm at a stand still i'm pretty sure i can take the door off with that still connected to the panel but my problem is this.. There are 4 connectors on my new door right at the hinge and I dont see them on the old door. I'm sure they're in that black scrunchy type thing but i dunno how to get to them or disconnect them. Help me please someone with pics preferably thank you. Here's a picture of the connectors im talking about
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/madeyoday/detail?.dir=/431d&.dnm=2f49re2.jpg&.src=ph

Also under this paper stuff i dunno wat it is are also wires but i dunno if i should disconnect them or not..Here's the url to the paper im talking abt.. Thanks
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/madeyoday/detail?.dir=6381&.dnm=f84fre2.jpg&.src=ph

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok! The wiring stuff we pretty much figured out but its this bolt in the picture that we cant get out and its the ONLY thing holding the door on.. how do we get it out... heres a picture of wat the bolt goes through:

· Registered
4,086 Posts
any luck yet?? I hope i helped you on the phone. The manual says just TAP it out.lol

Anyways just update me on AIM when you get a chance.
latta

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Door is on! Thanks guys!

Just gotta get a key made for the new lock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.