·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basic background info:

automatic
type I
stock :D

anyone feel that their legend lacks power down below 2.5k RPM? i do. lol.

a buddy of mine has a 97 TL (same type I auto), yet his feels like it has more power and it's noticeable too.

this is not just it. lol.

when i was driving home from church today, my sister's 1988 honda civic (92ph/89ftlbs; if it's lucky) was right in front of me. She had 3 other people in the car so the car.

so from the red light, i drove straight, to find out she is putting lengths on me. mine you i am driving normally, not passing the speed limit or anything. Then at the next stop, i went at it again, thinking it was just me slow driving. lol. i went through the gears just like that (shifting at ~3.0k RPM), just to keep up with her.

i thought my car was slow, but this slow? i had no passenger or anything else.

perhaps i need NNNAAWWWSSS :bowdown: :giggle:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
surprisingly, my sister's 92hp feel quicker off the line. perhaps her car only weighs like 2200lbs stock. haha

but we have over twice the torque and hp. hrm...

this calls for a turbo :D

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
I don't think it's so much a problem with your car as it is that Legends are just seriously weak in the low end, as is common with most Honda/Acuras. My Legend will get crushed by just about anything off the line, but makes up for it in the higher RPM's. It's up top that the Legend's performance cpabilities really shine. Don't be upset if you always seem to be playing catch-up off the line, most other Legends probably are as well. Once we get our engines singing in the sweet spot, it's the other guys that have to play catch-up to us.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe it would help if i did some weight reduction, not as in taking luxuries out, but replacing parts with something lighter.

where to start? i dunno. i'm about to sound deaden my car so that won't help much. haha

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
Why not invest some of that Stereo $$ into some performance parts??

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for me, music comes before performance. I have a passion for music :D. i don't speed, but i also don't like to play catch up with an old honda or toyota. lol.

i have not seen any performance mod so far (aside from swaps) that would increase the low end to where it's much better for everyday driving. most mods i have seen here will have more increase in the midrange and top end.

i know the legend's mid and top end is more than i need, but i rarely go above 2.5-3.0k RPM so low end is important to me.

·
Follow Me
1,271 Posts
jigga622 said:
the legend is weak
Someone please buy jigga's car. :bowdown: :giggle:

He'll be back.

Seriously, our cars are heavy and just slow off the line. Civics, Corollas, Accords, anything will beat us off the line. But on the up side we have got them when their v-tec kicks in. For better low end power, keep your car stock. Once you add on mods like cold air, chip, exhaust, and others you are freeing up resistance which makes your car even slower off the line. So just keep pimpin your Legend and save some of your gas while your at it! :2cool:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Legends are a luxury touring car, not a sports car. On the highway at speed is where the Legend performs ... not at stop lights. BTW Legends also look WAY WAY better than both those cars sitting at the light.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Transmisson

transmisson hahha this is very funny. I have to agree with every1 on there comments.Our legends look good at a stop light, our cars are demons above 2500 rpms and low end accelaration just isnt there.AAAALLlOOOOTTTT of times when im at a light and a junker pulls aside at a light and im styln and profiling and when the light turns green, everytime im getting beat off the line in normal driving. I drive like a granny cause i love my car but when im gettn beat off the line every instance unless you really put sum gas in, it is just ridiculous.But guys i really believe its our TRANSMISSONS......... becuase they really rob alot of performance out of our rides....ESPECIALLY FROM 1-2ND GEAR IN A 91-92 LEGEND. WHO AGRESS?

·
dealer-opted track pack
3,440 Posts
My car gained considerable low end w/ a CAI and chip.

RangerJoe's CAI dyno'd in the neighborhood of 15whp above stock @ 2k.
Smack a chip atop that, and you're ~+20whp @ 2k.

k.

Note: I am not claiming these parts add ~20whp gain through out the entire power band.

·
dealer-opted track pack
3,440 Posts
Jaynise said:
transmisson hahha this is very funny. I have to agree with every1 on there comments.Our legends look good at a stop light, our cars are demons above 2500 rpms and low end accelaration just isnt there.AAAALLlOOOOTTTT of times when im at a light and a junker pulls aside at a light and im styln and profiling and when the light turns green, everytime im getting beat off the line in normal driving. I drive like a granny cause i love my car but when im gettn beat off the line every instance unless you really put sum gas in, it is just ridiculous.But guys i really believe its our TRANSMISSONS......... becuase they really rob alot of performance out of our rides....ESPECIALLY FROM 1-2ND GEAR IN A 91-92 LEGEND. WHO AGRESS?
I can literally feel the loss of power from the auto because
the torque converter doesn't lock soon enough.

If you start out in D3, the torque converter seems to lock faster; try it!

k.h.

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
If you have a local shop that could do this type of thing, you could get your car custom dyno tuned to create more low end power/torque.

·
Banned
25 Posts
I will say it is a compromise of the power band and the transmition. Even with such a high final drive in the differential, the individual gears are very weak. I cant speak for the 6-spd or 5-spd but this is the case for the auto's. This is also a big reason I want to put a 6-spd in my car. And if you havent noticed, second gear takes forever when you are on the gas, but usually my auto upshifts very quickly into 3rd under normal driving, its almost a pointless 2nd gear. But anyways a good way to fix this problem is going to be expensive no matter what. You can try the 3.5L swap.. around $2500 if you do it yourself. Get a higher set of final drive gears. (if you can pull the ring and pinion out yourself and send it to a shop, Im sure it wont cost more than $300 or so for them to make you some) Or have your transmition pulled and get a manual or get custom gears for your tranny. Also very expensive. Oh and yeah, Superchargers will help with that low end power. ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Broken Angel said:
I will say it is a compromise of the power band and the transmition. Even with such a high final drive in the differential, the individual gears are very weak. I cant speak for the 6-spd or 5-spd but this is the case for the auto's. This is also a big reason I want to put a 6-spd in my car. And if you havent noticed, second gear takes forever when you are on the gas, but usually my auto upshifts very quickly into 3rd under normal driving, its almost a pointless 2nd gear. But anyways a good way to fix this problem is going to be expensive no matter what. You can try the 3.5L swap.. around $2500 if you do it yourself. Get a higher set of final drive gears. (if you can pull the ring and pinion out yourself and send it to a shop, Im sure it wont cost more than $300 or so for them to make you some) Or have your transmition pulled and get a manual or get custom gears for your tranny. Also very expensive. Oh and yeah, Superchargers will help with that low end power. ;)
Yes, we have already thought of this. When you get a shop to do it and a supercharger to create boost on our cars without problems, then theirs something to work with. I think my legend is ok. It's a heavy car and off the line it doesn't feel fast (at all) until it goes over 3K. With a bayou chip you will get some of the low-end you're missing with stock, CAI and a remus catback only helps. But I have to disagree on second gear, when I slam it at 40-45 to 70 in second, its pretty freakin quick, at least I think so. Over 30 mph its not so bad. Add a bigger exhaust system with hiflo cat and dv8's y-pipes, it will makes a world of difference. If that's not satisfactory, hehe, get NOS :D :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.