Acura Legend Forum banner

Legend TypeS?

929 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ChrisK 
#1 ·
I scheduled for a test drive og the 6spd Cl Type S and while chit chatting the dealer started telling me about the Dual Stage Induction system being the "secret" to the TypeS's extra kick (as if the hp and torque don't speak for themselves). Anyway, this sounded all too familiar... its the same system we have in the Legend!! Back then it was called Variable Induction System but the name was changed (apparently out of consumer confusiuon with VTEC).

Anywhere, below are links to the current TypeS writeup and to the Legend Spec Sheet where you can see it for yourself in Black and White! Ciao Baby...

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=14176
http://www.acura.com/model_types/types_siteindex.asp?id=2

DUAL STAGE INDUCTION SYSTEM >
Below the VTEC™ threshold, an exclusive dual-stage induction system does its intelligent work, broadening the CL Type S engine's torque curve and making extracting an additional 16 lb-ft of peak torque. At engine speeds above 3,800 rpm an even wider torque band prevails, thanks to the natural "supercharger" effect of improved airflow. A butterfly valve opens a second, wider-bore intake plenum chamber, substituting the positive-flow resonance charge with an airflow-accelerating inertial charge condition. The result is a higher volume of air forced into the cylinders, extending the Type S engine's torque "sweet-spot."

See less See more
#3 ·
Salesmen, when are they going to learn :) Hehehehehe. Anyway, while the VIS or Dual Stage Induction System does help on the CL-S, that is not the secret to the higher power on the S over the Premium. Both have VTEC, but the S version also has a higher compression engine, and probable different cams and timing and whatever else. I thing those make up more HP then the induction system.

By the way, I hope you told him the Legend had a form of it since 1986, and the Integra GS-Rs and other Honda cars also had it long before the CL's version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.