Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have more than ample experience working on nice old heavy METAL american muscle cars. I built a 65 ranchero w/ a 302, 650cfm edelbrock 4bbl, rv cam, hooker headers, 4speed (factory) on the floor... blah blah blah... i'm sure most of u could care less. The reason I'm posting this thread, i was recently in an auto accident, (not in my ford) and will be recieving a settlement for "pain and suffering"... SO I would like to take a crack at a tuner car.... and the only import that has impressed me (remember, i'm not that into imports) was my friend's 89 acura legend 2door, manual....

as it so happens, i was driving home from work today, and spotted an 89, 2dr, manual.... for $1000 (all i know other than that is that the sign on the window says "runs great".... vin# JH4KA3167KC010616 if that tells ya anything

for 1k, i figure i might as well plan on putting in another motor (jdm?), and my question to you folks *the experts* is where do i go after that? The reason i have stuck to older cars to this point is "cheap, simple, bolt-on horsepower...." and u get alot at once.

I'd like to hear what some of you have done... i am looking to spend up to $5000 from my settlement *including car* to put something together that'll piss off those little punks in their mommies carollas (heh)

I'm almost certain adding turbo is going to put me overbudget (the only reason i wouldn't do it)... i can't exactly strap on a bigger carbuerator... and even though i'm a software engineer by trade, large masses of braided wires scare me (hence i don't have to smog any of my other vehicles).

Any sample buillds you could help me put together would be great...
thanks in advance.
Sam

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Hey another Sam (even though my names really Gabe...)! Anyhow, welcome to the forums man!

Hmmm...$5k without turbo? I would suggest some basics first: intake (Cold air is best) and exhaust (it seems that a 2.25" Stainless cat-back, with higher flow muffler works wonders on our cars) BUT It sounds like you are an expert engine builder to some degree so maybe an engine teardown and rebuild with a port and polish, some hotter cams (custom), honed intake, maybe some custom bent headers, y pipe, higher flow fuel injectors and fuel pump?

If you feel like doing some research it has been said that H22 pistons can be used in our engines thus raising the compression. Also if you plan to do some research you may wish to go little bit further and see about fitting a C32 head (from the G2 Legend) onto your 2.7...I have seen stuff about this in the past but these people never followed up and we have no idea of the outcome. There is this place called 5150 (ironic name for those who know what it means) i think out in West Covina, that was about to do this head swap but I never heard about it again...it would be sweet if it was pulled at all because it would definitely open some doors to us.

If you are a software engineer you may have a little bit of an advantage over some in that you could probably do up something to tweak the factory ECU or just go with an aftermarket replacement altogether...

Go to the advanced Search function and run a search on the member "Lacaci." He sure seemed knowledgeable about our internals and how to squeeze out more horsies by going that route. Whether his ideas were only that (ideas) they sure were good ones and would be sweet if pulled off...

later man!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My girlfriend is a MHW (mental health worker)... so i know what 5150 means.... but 5150 is for college drop-outs... 5350 is where the real nutballs live!

To clarify, i would love to put in a turbo, but to my knowledge, there is no aftermarket kit available.

I've never hesitated to rip apart a motor and juice the snot out of it, however, my education came from my father, and other old farts of the same school....

I know what a cat does for example, but not how... due just to lack of exposure :(

i'm very interested to see what i can come up with on my own in the end, with research only done on the internet :)

keep it comin.
appreciated more than u know
pz
sam

· Registered
638 Posts
a legend is a nice car that usually grows on you quite well, to be frank there isnt much support at all if your looking for bolt ons, it comes with a decent ammount of power but your not gona get much more out of it with availible bolt ons like intakes. Bascially the power you begin with is the power you get unless you really got some serious money or have a machine shop or somthing, if you want to get bolt ons for power than you would be better off going the ricer route.. I love my legend but with 5,000$ you could probably have a civic eating up legends for the same ammount.. If you really want to put some money into a import i'd go with a civic si or a integra since you can get entire exhaust systems, turbo kits, headers, engine internals like pistons and cams ect all things you cant get for a legend, except the DIY turbo and theoretical h22's. A legend with its few bolt ons will take almost any other ricer out there but to be serious I've personally seen civics pushing over 400hp with under 10k invested with a experienced person like you say you are.

You can try the H22's out if you want, Ive torn down a legend several times and from just looking i'd say domed pistons could possibly rise a half inch higher at most and that would be pushing it. as far as i know the h22 swap has never been attempted, i dont think any aftermarket or custom internals have, I'd personally like to see some one try a thinner head gasket if they could find one.

A legend is a great car with some power and still pretty reliable but if you really want to get into moding your barking up the wrong tree. alot of others may disagree but look around for yourself. with that 5,000$ you may be able to do a custom turbo set up and have some left over for some NOS if your lucky because thats about all the decent performance mods out there, then you could possibly be pushing 250-300hp.. the engine is SOHC since the hood couldnt fit DOHC and the block is a 2.5L bored out to a 2.7 so dont expect going much farther than that.

Actually, Nissan has some pretty good project cars if you want aftermarket support but not be stuck in civic/teg.. not as nice as a honda but man can you do alot with them.. If you do get a legend I doubt you would regret it after you get over the lack of support, they come with some decent suspension and braking too.. i've heard alot of people talking about how bad the brakes and suspension is but i've yet to drive a car that brakes as well as mine and my suspension never rolls or bottoms, its pretty stiff. somtimes i wish i had a little bounce when im just getting groceries or riding my girl around. The guy i bought it from had almost every component of the suspension replaced less than a year before i got it.

I suggest taking any car in for a leak down test before you purchase it, it can save you tons of money and let you know if its worth it. its well worth the time and money.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
The Vin # tells me that it's an '89 5 speed L. I'm not into power...but into restoring these cars into the great cars they are/were. Paint it, put in new leather, change the timing belt/water pump, fix the stereo and speakers and you'll have a great car that was way ahead of it's time as far as engineering and dependability !

· Registered
638 Posts
yea ND, it is a nice car for its day, very comfortable, lots of options but nothing extra you wont need. its got the basics plus heated mirriors for ice/snow, windshield wipers that tuck into the hood but have a switch to leave them out incase of ice/snow, the power seats move in almost every direction, angles, elevations and all and have 5 presets for up to 5 programable seat settings, 4 weel disc brakes so better stopping and no annoying shoes to change. it's definetley a good car, reliable depending on how its treated. Its about as luxury as an accord with a bit of an agressive look to show that it has some performance engine and handling wise. if its in good shape it gets 18-22mpg. When i bought mine for 2k it only got 12mpg, last time i checked it was 25 and im hoping its up maybe a mile higher after disabling the EGR but i havent checked yet.

its a very nice car don't get me wrong, just if your going for performance mods your basically get what you start with unless you want to go to extremes. Its very easy to get a nice deep growl out of them though. You can just pull the cap off the filter box to make it short ram. not really high flow but you get the same sound. adding a catback or muffler to it will make it sound deeper and throatier though.

If you want to put 5k into, make sure its got a good engine (leak down) and body, If you put that much into it then its probably going to be on apearence, like paint/bodykits/seats or whatever your into. btw, check the ecu for any errors, mine was running codes and the pricks pulled the check engine light out lol. it was just a o2 sensor though.

If your used to american muscle cars im sure you'll like it just the way it is, its a good compromise between power and economy with reliability. so it makes a good town car/daily driver for anyone demanding some extra power. whenever i drive my moms 4cyl sentra or camry i dont see how i ever drove a 4cyl, it feels like a legend with a major compression leak, getting back in my legend after that it feels like a land rocket. just go take it for a test drive and see how you like it, you have been in one before but was it a 5 speed like the one your looking at?

· Registered
71 Posts
BTW, FYI there is, and will be another, AFM turbo setup for our car. There's a place in AZ that does it for 5k, but if you goto this thread and then goto post #73 you can get some more info. I talked with Aaron and he said w/ turbo he was making a kit for 3.5-4k, and I believe he said that it would be significantly cheaper if I found my own turbo cheaper (*wink wink* free from a jy).

· Registered
50 Posts
hey you should get this legend and swap in a integra gsr engine or a prelude engine! then you could turbo it easily with alot of room in the engine bay and have v-tech!!!! or you could just make a fast 4 banger legend that gets good gas milage. Make sure to use the integra or prelude tranny to and then it would be really quick :) :)

· Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
I'm with Cigman, paint it, leather it, blueprint the engine and drive it for the rest of your life.

You're not going to get much boost out of anything else you do. Beside, you'll be quite pleased with it at factory specs.

· Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
On an aside, I'd like to talk with Cigman about DOHC.

As I understood the terminology, Dual Overhead Cam could actually mean three very different configurations.

1.) Dual Cam, where one cam drives intake, the other exhaust valves.

If centered in a two-bank engine, two cams could drive both heads with pushrods.
If not, four cams would actually be required, two over each head. as in #2 below. Probably considered the best of all configurations, yet also the most expensive, least simple, and adds weight, mechanical syncing overhead et al., so not sure whatever [small] performance boost is achieved would not be offset by the overhead.

2.) Dual Cam, where four cams are used, a pair over each head which drive intake and exhaust valves directly and independently, without pushrods. (and, is the definition I believe you were using.)

and,

3.) Dual Cam, where one cam drives both intake and exhaust valves on each head.
This is the Legend's configuration.

Yet, DOHC actually implies 'overhead', so might mean each head would need two cams to qualify as true DOHC. (appears Cigman would agree with this).

Yet, there's a real distinction in engine construction where two cams are used on a two-bank engine and which drive valves directly, as opposed to using pushrods.

Not really trying to diagree with anyone, just trying to get my own thiinking straight.

· Registered
71 Posts
ryan_1988 said:
hey you should get this legend and swap in a integra gsr engine or a prelude engine! then you could turbo it easily with alot of room in the engine bay and have v-tech!!!! or you could just make a fast 4 banger legend that gets good gas milage. Make sure to use the integra or prelude tranny to and then it would be really quick :) :)
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. :vomit:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cigarettcancerman said:
just go take it for a test drive and see how you like it, you have been in one before but was it a 5 speed like the one your looking at?
yes.

Before i'd canibalize a shi... vic, or a quelude, i'd install a 9" ford rear end and put a built 289 (ford 289 engine is indestructable... that is if built right, will tach up like a crotch rocket)... make the first ever rwd legend... naturally aspirated :)

· Registered
779 Posts
if you wanted a rwd import go with a supra 300zx 240sx or ae86 (corolla) there is a larger aftermarket and higher power to weight ratio also you can get a stock turbo with a supra or 300z

plus for about 3000 you can get the above mentioned car that will smoke a legend (except the ae86 its a drifter with a lsd not to fast unless moded)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha i just found out today that that legend has 280k on it.
front seats and rear headrests need to be recovered.
owner says engine has been "maintained"
heater and a/c all work he says
car is from where he is ohio (do they salt roads there?)

from his description, the car is in good condidtion besides having been driven to the moon and back. Should i get it?

· Registered
234 Posts
KAHruzer said:
3.) Dual Cam, where one cam drives both intake and exhaust valves on each head. This is the Legend's configuration.
I belive thats SOHC (single over head cam) meaning that each head has 1 Camshaft. and OHC (over head cam) is jus there there is 1 cam on the engine. Im not to sure i may be wrong.

· Registered
2,237 Posts
Samu said:
haha i just found out today that that legend has 280k on it.
front seats and rear headrests need to be recovered.
owner says engine has been "maintained"
heater and a/c all work he says
car is from where he is ohio (do they salt roads there?)

from his description, the car is in good condidtion besides having been driven to the moon and back. Should i get it?
I just bought my 2nd Legend, pristine execpt two rust spots on the rear wells with 252k on it ove rthe summer. I bought it cuz the paint and the seats and everything else was perfect. I'd say wait a bit unless your desperate for that Legend, to find one with lower miles, and better seats.

These cars are wonderful in term of ride, and luxury but, when something messes up, IT REALLY MESSES UP. An example would be the electronics. Gotta remember this thing is from the 80's and wires almost 20 years old do go bad...Then again you're the engineer so it should be a fun project!

· Registered
658 Posts
Without some serious money, the Legend doesn't appear to offer much performance potential. Forced induction is your only option to smack around the 4-bangers due to the Legend's weight and wrong-wheel drive.

One fun option would be to buy a 4-door Sentra and transplant the SR20 from the SE-R version. Plenty of go-fast parts for that engine, including JDM turbo motors. $5k would still be cutting it close for a turbo app, but it's a good sleeper car.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.