Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems that from visiting the tl forums that the tranny issue is growing larger and larger. i've also read some complaints about quality issues too. what has happened to honda/acura in the past decade?!?!? our cars are near if not past 10 years old and have yet to encounter problems of that magnitude, maybe it's cuz we were built in japan and the new ac's are built here? i heard tho that the TL/CL tranny are built and assembled in japan. what's the deal??

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well certainly the build quality is affected by the fact that TLs and CLs are built in Ohio compared to our Japanese built Legends.

The tranny issue is huge and there is a list of people with tranny failures and their VINs at the TL site that is continually growing.

I am not sure about where the tranny is constructed, but it is definitely a huge concern that Honda needs to deal with when the TL re-design hits next year.

Our Legends certainly are one of a kind. The styling and quality is unsurpassed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I heard that the new Acuras have some GM parts..that might be the problem.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yep Honda and GM have some deal, where they each get parts, but I don't think there is any GM parts in Acuras.

The original Honda owner died in 1991 right? When did he "Step-Down" before then... or did he?

G

·
Someobody was saying something though about like GM helping honda make their new V8, but I don't buy into it. I do know that Honda is helping out GM with their engines (i4's I believe).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Someobody was saying something though about like GM helping honda make their new V8, but I don't buy into it. I do know that Honda is helping out GM with their engines (i4's I believe).
That'll be interesting to see a Northstar V-8 in the RL. What's next, the On-Star System? GM definitely needs to work on its 4 cylinders. I have drive the Cavalier and it has power, but it doesn't run smooth and is not quiet at all. Most of GM's 4-Cylinders sound like their V-6s, which in turn also sound like their V-8s. I believe they use belt driven fans that cool the radiator, so if the RPMs go up, the fan spins faster. Whereas, mostly all Hondas use electronic fans and go on at one speed at a given temperature.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't hate!

Alright guys. Lets stop hating on American manufacturing. The fact is that the number one selling car in the world is made by a US & Japan couint venture (The Toyota Corolla/Chevy Prizm)! The days of calling a car crap just because it is built here are over.

American cars do have certain general pluses over foreign ones. Whether its a Corvette, an Escalade or a (dare I say it) Caprice, when something goes wrong, they are very easy to diagnose. Japanese cars have far more Electrical problems than American ones. And German cars :rolleyes:, from what I have heard hanging around the local mechanic shop, are Infamous for Domino problems (where one failed system causes a failure in the next and another).

I just think we have to keep things in perspective. Hell, Every company makes some crappy cars, they just don't export them to fail in other countries. Hey! Maybe we should send some Ford Tempos to Afghanistan.:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't agree with you at all on this one Boston. American car-makers still lag behind Japanese & European engineering. I remember a few years back when Ford made a big deal about their cars being able to go 100,000 miles before a tune-up. Honda & Toyota never thought about bragging about that because it was EXPECTED! Japanese cars have been going that long w/o tune-ups (although I wouldn't) for decades!

As soon as Detroit promises us a better car (The Saturn in the early 90's), it turns out to be all talk and can never walk the walk. All things considered, Cadillac shouldn't even be in business anymore with the amount of money they have lost over the last 10 years.

Anyway, Ford is showing "some" promise w/the Focus. I don't like 'em, but they are popular among the Civic/RSX crowd. We'll just have to wait and see if they can last.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think your missing my point. I guess I should have worded things a little differently. The days of assuming that a car is crap because it is made here are over. American car company's have the capacity to make cars which are as reliable and long lasting as their Japanese counterparts. Your are absolutely right, we also make more crap than anyone else does right now. But we have recently (last ten year or so) put out some great cars! Look at Saturn. Its absolute hell trying to find parts for them in junkyards because they don't go out of circulation very often.

Heck, we can sit here and go back and forth on which cars are and aren't reliable but my point is that we can no longer assume that anythinig built here is of lower quality than those built anywhere else. I'm sad to say that it is likely the case though :rolleyes:
Go USA.... :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Don't hate!

Boston Speed said:
Alright guys. Lets stop hating on American manufacturing. The fact is that the number one selling car in the world is made by a US & Japan couint venture (The Toyota Corolla/Chevy Prizm)! The days of calling a car crap just because it is built here are over.
You are right. I totally forgot that venture together. The Chevy Prizm, what it was called after joint venture was over with or Geo Prizm, what it was called during the joint venture actually was a great value car. It definitely was better than a Toyota Tercel by far and yet it was offered at a very valued price of $11-$14K, whereas the Toyota equivalent, though it had a different set of options was offered at $13-$17K. But, as always, KBB does not recognize that Geo is partially Japanese and partially American, the resale value on a Geo/Chevy Prizm is not nearly the resale value of a Toyota Corolla.

when something goes wrong, they are very easy to diagnose. Japanese cars have far more Electrical problems than American ones. And German cars :rolleyes:, from what I have heard hanging around the local mechanic shop, are Infamous for Domino problems (where one failed system causes a failure in the next and another).
- ** AGREE 100% ** What do they think about Korean Cars? Do they follow the same hard-to-diagnose as the Japanese Cars do?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Shad_93LSCoupe said:
Anyway, Ford is showing "some" promise w/the Focus. I don't like 'em, but they are popular among the Civic/RSX crowd. We'll just have to wait and see if they can last.
If you look closely, the Civic Si styling is partially Honda taking from the old Civic Si Hatchback + some Euro Ford Focus influence.

The Focus is unique, that's for sure, the first Ford that was a success considering it was from Europe. The only euro hatchbacks that have had any better success are VW Golfs.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No its the official OnStar system.

When I think of American cars as being crap I consider the automobile as a whole not just the engine.

I went to the auto show they hold every November here in San Francisco. I went from auto to auto and I noticed a big, excuse me, huge deference when going from foreign to american and its build quality and materials, attention to details. Amercian use a lot of cheap plastic, a lot. Their cars look like fisher price in side. If your going to use plastic use a high grade. Their leather, when they say seating surfaces they mean it and its obvious, again because of the material used. Everything looked snap together, look at the nobs and buttons, seams of the seats, just take a look at the details of an american car, until they can make me feel like I paid 40-50k for their luxury cars they will all ways be crap to me, we wont talk about their domestic cars. I mean really what are you paying for when you spend that kind of money on american, tourqe? HP? the convenience? Pllllleeaaasse I'm not buying into the american propaganda its called an economic scam by the Government......No I don't hate all American cars. Love the old school. I got one. Thats when America stood with pride when their cars came off the line. I hate all the new generation american particularly from 85 on.

·
Registered
275 Posts
To add to Boston Speed's point....

My first car was an 87 Accord LXi. It was made in Ohio as was my dad's 88 Accord.

I'd still have my Accord if it didn't get totaled late last year. Unfortunately when a car is that old it doesn't take much damage to total it:( I had 240+ thousand miles are her and she never once let me down. The most expensive thing I needed to have down was skocks and struts but most cars with 200 thousand miles on them would need those too.

My dad's accord has over 320 thousand miles on it. He finally had to replace the clutch on it last September. Hell he'll go a year or two without an oil change.... he doesn't take good care of it but it keeps going and going and going(where's that crummy pink rabbit when you need it?)

I thought, although I'm probably wrong, that my Legend was assembled here as well but I'll double check tonight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.