Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, cuz of all the deals with irotors and raceconcepts... it seems like everyone wants to paint their calipers. it got me thinking and believe that powdercoating them would be the best way to go for durability and all that good stuff. hehe. my friend got his brushguards powdercoated for like $120, so i believe powdercoating our brake calipers wouldn't cost more than... $50? what do you guys think?

G

·
I'm doing a project on Powder coating right now in my Metal shop class at school :). I'm taking a wheel in to get powder coated some time this week, due to me curbing it a couple months ago :eek:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Powder coating is a process that provides a permanent rust resistant coating on metal objects. They object is sandblasted, primed with an adhesive type substance, sprayed with a powdery chemical, and then it is baked in an oven at high temperatures and the powder stuff turns into a plastic looking coating. All of the waterworks underground infrastructure, such as valves and casings and such are powder coated to prevent corrosion.

I just got two bench legs done for $100. The shops minimum charge was $200 wether it was a bolt or a bench leg. We got him to give it to us for half price because we told him that we would be using him in the future.

Most shops do have a minimum charge because it is a very complicated process. IIt would probably look cool too if you could get them to do the right color.

:)

·
Sexy Member
7,377 Posts
aight thanks for the info. i wanna paint my calipers so i dont think ill be doing that well i really dont know yet

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I take it that powder coating our brake calipers are okay and won't do any harm as to their function, right?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
JJJ784 said:
So I take it that powder coating our brake calipers are okay and won't do any harm as to their function, right?
Yes, powdercoating is safe since it will only be applied to the exterior of your brake caliper. It actually won't matter if it is applied to the whole brake caliper, since the pad will be in between the caliper and the rotor.

Plus, I believe you must remove your caliper and/or rotor to powder coat the brake caliper, since you don't want any of that stuff to get on the actual rotor.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just to let you know, powdercoating is not necessary. My bodyshop painted my caliper the same color as my car with same paint (DuPont Chromalusion), and until now (Since May 99) no flaking, no whatever. The color holds nicely. So, I think, a good paint is enough. You don't have to go through all the trouble of powdercoating, removing calipers etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts