Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3M has a good adhessive. You may need to cut it in the form of an "L". They sell it at peep boy, auto zone, etc... Your lucky you didn't loose the letter. :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
you'll never find the exact double sided tape they use. what i would do is get some epoxy and glue it that way. it will not come off.
-j

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "L" fell off my trunk on my '95 Legend (due to a poorly placed bike rack!), and I'm trying to figure out how to get the adhesive pads used by the dealers? I've tried something I got at a hardware store, and it didn't hold up in the rain. Does anybody know where I can get the adhesive? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will the epoxy glue ruin the car's paint if the letter was ever to fall off again? I tried the 3M tape, and that's what didn't hold up too well in the rain. Perhaps I'll try a combination of the two--thanks a lot for the suggestions!

·
Registered
296 Posts
TheLedge said:
Will the epoxy glue ruin the car's paint if the letter was ever to fall off again? I tried the 3M tape, and that's what didn't hold up too well in the rain. Perhaps I'll try a combination of the two--thanks a lot for the suggestions!
I replaced all of my emblems with new chrome ones. I used 3M double sided tape (bought at Pep Boys) on all of them. It was hell cutting out little shapes of tape to fit the entire emblem, but it has held up well. Before you put them on, you need to clean the trunk real good. I used Gu-Gone first to get all of the old goop off, then follwed that up with a very soapy wash. Then I used a towel and half a bottle of rubbing alcohol to make sure it was clean before I put it on. You should wait at least 24 hours before attempting to wash it or wiggle the letters to make sure the tape adheres well. I have had no problems at all.

Ghost

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
3M sells a Moulding/Trim double-sided tape (bodyshop supplier) which may be used to affix letters. The problem is that you must cut the perimeter of the letter with a razor blade. If the letter which was pulled off has not had its adhesive backing damaged, you may use a clear emblem adhesive to reattach using some masking tape to hold it in place (see local bodyshop supplier). The adhesive will soften paint so you must be extremely careful (and use sparingly). You could also order the letter from Acura of Augusta.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts