Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NALM '20 Seattle dreaming
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good webpage that can tell me the differences between the models?

not really knowing which models are which, but I'm looking at a 300GS-430GS years 1999-2004

I thought the 430 GS was available from '99 on but autotrader.com only shows '04 430 GS.

I'm searching google ATM for a good webpage without finding any right now

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I guess I'm not the only one tempted by these!

This might help
Lexus GS 300/400 Compare - Summary - MSN Autos

You may want to check clublexus too. Members there suggest going for the GS400 because of the bigger more powerful engine, which is probably one of the most fuel efficient V8s in its class. One the other hand you can do a twin turbo set up on the 3.0l. These cars are virtually bulletproof. I think the only expensive repairs are suspension parts that may require replacement due to age.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

·
NALM '20 Seattle dreaming
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm look at the IS300..yumm. You getting another car dave?
just looking for now... nothing too serious as the union I belong to has a contract vote this Fall, so I *could* be on strike come this fall... ugh.

but its still okay to look !!

From what I've seen advertised locally there are afew nice GS430s.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
thanks guys!

heyyyyyyy Mello !

4.0 or a 4.3? hmmmmm
400: 300hp/310 lb-ft
430: 300hp/325 lb-ft

I believe that it's ULEV too!! Awesome cars in their segment and 430 is one of the most refined V8's ever made imho (haven't driven a 460 yet)...it's butter smooth and does adequate justice to Lexus' NVH standards.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
Dave,

anything you need to know, just ask...I am a former GS400 owner ;)

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
cool thanks... My first question would be why a *former* owner? LOL

and your impressions of your former GS400
why a former owner?

1) my car was a 2000, and I bought it with 34k, sold it with 72k
2) when I got it, I wanted it lower, so I threw in Bilsteins with eibachs because thats what I was told was the way to go if I didn't do coilovers (which I had learned my lesson from with my 03 maxima)
3) after lowering it, I noticed a ridiculous vibration at highway speed. The Lexus dealer had the car for a long time, I went through 3 sets of rims/tires all balanced by the dealer multiple times. Couldn't get rid of the vibration unless I drove real fast, so I did
4) I got 3 speeding tickets with the car and I spent like $200/week on gas because it guzzles if you ride it hard
5) And the car was due for maintenance....when I had the suspension done, the wheel sensors blew (I was told typical for this car)..each wheel sensor was $700, and there are 4 of em....luckily it was covered under warranty....the car was becoming too rich for my blood

After adding up my payment, my insurance, gas and whatnot, I was spending like $2500 a month on her..It just didn't make financial sense to me. A mortgage payment to drive a $50k car

Now the argument can be made that the legend too is expensive to maintain and I can concur. But the difference is, the legend cost me $3700, the Lexus cost me $25,000 ;)

RIP babygirl...

·
AKA Carlton I3anks
2,617 Posts
why a former owner?

1) my car was a 2000, and I bought it with 34k, sold it with 72k
2) when I got it, I wanted it lower, so I threw in Bilsteins with eibachs because thats what I was told was the way to go if I didn't do coilovers (which I had learned my lesson from with my 03 maxima)
3) after lowering it, I noticed a ridiculous vibration at highway speed. The Lexus dealer had the car for a long time, I went through 3 sets of rims/tires all balanced by the dealer multiple times. Couldn't get rid of the vibration unless I drove real fast, so I did
4) I got 3 speeding tickets with the car and I spent like $200/week on gas because it guzzles if you ride it hard
5) And the car was due for maintenance....when I had the suspension done, the wheel sensors blew (I was told typical for this car)..each wheel sensor was $700, and there are 4 of em....luckily it was covered under warranty....the car was becoming too rich for my blood

After adding up my payment, my insurance, gas and whatnot, I was spending like $2500 a month on her..It just didn't make financial sense to me. A mortgage payment to drive a $50k car

Now the argument can be made that the legend too is expensive to maintain and I can concur. But the difference is, the legend cost me $3700, the Lexus cost me $25,000 ;)

RIP babygirl...

Wow suede interior, excuse me while I go clean this mess I just mae in my pants!!

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
Wow suede interior, excuse me while I go clean this mess I just mae in my pants!!
yes the suede was nice..and the color combo was done by me....I think I have good taste ;)

but have no fear folks...the legend will look very similar to the GS in terms of interior by this time next year.... stay tuned, same bat time same bat channel :bigok:

·
Registered
865 Posts
As a GS owner myself, I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the shimmys - and it's well documented problem with these vehicles. My 300 is nowhere as bad as you describe though... not sure if the L-Tuned suspension from the dealer has anything to do with it.

Oh yeah, the fuel mileage is a killer too.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
As a GS owner myself, I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the shimmys - and it's well documented problem with these vehicles. My 300 is nowhere as bad as you describe though... not sure if the L-Tuned suspension from the dealer has anything to do with it.

Oh yeah, the fuel mileage is a killer too.
it helps that your roads are no where near as bad as mine are (NYC)....if your roads were worse (more uneven and pothole filled), you'd be complaining just like I was more than 3 years ago

funny thing is, on stock suspension, stock 17's and worn out tires, it didn't shake???? :wtf:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.