Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a box and amp in my legend.
Before i ask what i should try let me give you all the specs i can on the car and audio set up. I have a Sony Xplod 52x4 CD player. Cerwin Vega speakers front and back. And a box with (2) 10" Sony Xplod subs. 900watt max and 40-350 RMS. I have them bridged into an old Harman Kardon CA-260 amp. I haven't been real successful on finding specs for the amp, i've had it a while and the best i could find was 2x75 or 1x300. I'm guessing that is the RMS rating.
When the volume is up about 1/4 to 1/2 way the bass hits hard and at idle the headlights and interior lights dim. The radio lighting dims while driving and at idle.
What is anyone's suggestion on what to use to help this problem? I've done a search and found minimal posts basically stating either a cap or bigger battery. Either an SVR or Optima battery. If the best thing to do is to get a better batter where can i find one of these Optima batteries?
Thanks for all your help..
Patrick

·
Registered
476 Posts
You can either add a cap (capacitor) to act as a supplement your battery, or add a second battery. Most people who are serious add a battery just for their custom sound setups.

My car audio experience is pretty limited but I had the same problems in my G1 until I added a capacitor.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
There could be a couple of problems.
You may need a capacitor. I say at least 1 farad.

Or if you do get another battery, make sure you get a battery isolator.

Also check your grounds and make sure they're getting good contact with the metal body of the car.

Oh, I can't really tell, but your subs may be overloading your amp also depending on how you have them bridged.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About the Capacitor

I briefly checked out what they had for sale on ebay last night as far as the caps go. mostly 1 farat, saw a couple 1.2's. I'm not sure but i don't think i have the amp over loaded. The amp has a switch on it to turn the bridged option on or off and you either wire both positives to the positive posts, same with the negatives or you wire them individually as two separate channels.
There is only dimming when its up pretty loud.
Also there is one other thing i have a question about. Once the radio gets up to a point where its just too loud it will sort of tune down the subs volume on its own. Is that the radio doing that or the amp that can't handle the output? Like i said the amp is kind of old, but since i had it i thought i would give it a try before spending the money for a new amp.
Thanks for your help.
Patrick

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your best bet would be to get a 1 farat cap or just another battery and install it in your trunk, while making sure to get a battery isolater also.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
u'r amp is trying to draw too much current at high volumes. i initially had this problem when i put in my 2 12's. so i did what everyone suggested and bought 2 caps. this made it a bit better as it was providing the extra current when needed.
then, i upgraded amps and bigger subs and the problem seemed to come back. if u'r amp draws a lot of current, all the caps in the world will not help you.
so, i decided to do the other thing everyone suggested. i went and bought myself an optima yellow top. theres no need fo a battery isolator. what i did was wire the 2 positives together separated by a circuit breaker. this will do the same job. i'm sure a few of the people here would agree because they're the ones that gave me the idea. =)
anyhow. if you have the money, go with the extra battery just to be safe, but the cap might do the trick as well.
-j

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My car does the the same when its cranked up as well, so how much are these caps? this may just do trick for me seeing that I have enough in my trunk as it is, I don't wish to install another battery.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
caps will range in price depending on if it's digital or not, name brand, etc.
you can get a non digital fosgate cap for about 70 bux.
remember to get at least a 1 farad cap.
again, this might help or it might not. no guarantees.
-j

·
Registered
313 Posts

I'd shell out the extra cash and buy an optima yellow top. It's less of a hassle to install and will last longer than a cap... I have a 1 farad cap and a dry cell battery i picked up at kragen (desparate need of a battery at the time) and i notice my lights still dimming a little when i crank up the bass... and that's after i regrounded everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts