Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lock my 91 sedan the locks continue the make the locking sound for around ten seconds. What is wrong and how do I fix it.
Muchos gracias senoritas

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Call your parish priest, your vehicle is possessed.

The problem is a very common one. Your power door locks are failing. Problem is usually the LT door one. Another symptom is having your alarm activate when either the doors are locked or only one is locked. Repair is to replace the unit.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The door lock actuator on the Legend is all one unit. It is a lock and solenoid combination.

·
Registered
702 Posts
it's weird...this is a very common problem with the legends....door lock actuator...the funny thing is mine was doing that for a long time and would make clicking sounds and was annoying as hell every time i would lock the doors they would keep clicking for a long time (and mechanic told me it needed to be replaced)...but somehow when i replaced my master window control panel when i broke my master window lock switch, the problem of the door lock actuator disappeared and haven't had a problem with it since and that was abot 8 months ago!!! it's like it never even existed...i don't know if wires were crossing each other or whatever but all i know is my door locks work perfect now and don't make clicking noise!!! :)

weird, huh?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thats pretty cool! Mine makes this really annoying clicking noise for 20 secs and stops!

I wonder if it is related to master window control panel?? :confused:

I've had this problem ever since I bought the car 2 years back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lock problems

Yeah - mine did the same thing, but only for a couple of seconds. The ignition was sometimes reluctant to unlock too (couldn't turn the key). Then about the time my son drove into a parked car, it went away. I wouldn't recommend this treatment for anyone else though!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Talk about possessed!!!

If my 91 coupe has been sitting out front for a day or so, I can go out and lock the door with the key and the fan kicks on!
The door locks will also simply start clicking if I put a little electrical drain like opening the trunk.
This caused the previous owner to turn off the alarm...permanently as it would false fire all the time.
This is either the coolest option or the spookiest.
I think it is related to lowered battery voltage when the car sits and the battery drains a little through its internal resistance (and my radar detector...always on). You all may be seeing something similar...lower voltage at the module causing it to go to an unknown or middle (niether open or locked) state clicking away. Replacing a switch, cleaning a contact, etc raises the voltage to the module by a couple of hundred millivolts and all seems well. New battery could have the same effect.
Just enjoy the spooks or spend the bucks to replace the modules.

·
Registered
702 Posts
yeah, my car did that when i bought it...it made no sense cuz it would just keep clicking and sometimes not seem like it wanted to stop...but after changing the window master control panel, it just stopped...so i have no clue...it very well may be related?

·
Registered
702 Posts
maybe somebody should check to see if that was ever a recall item, the door lock actuator...cuz it's well known to have lots of problems and may have been recalled way back so you could get it fixed for free....

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My buddy's 1991 does this, so this weekend we will disconnect the connector that goes to the switch within the actuator. I believe that will clear things up. He will lose the lock-unlock function from a inserted key, but the door locks will function with the interior switch, and he will avoid a expensive repair.

·
Registered
296 Posts
NSXNEXT said:
When I lock my 91 sedan the locks continue the make the locking sound for around ten seconds. What is wrong and how do I fix it.
Muchos gracias senoritas
Mine does it......been doing it inconsistently since I bought the car. I've replaced the Master Window Switch too, and it still does it, but never consistently. I just think that the car is not ready to be parked yet......therefore making the clicking sound........as if to say "Are you really going to leave me here by myself?" "Are we done flossin today?"

I usually just blow her a kiss and tell her that I am not abandoning her, and the clicking sound stops!:D :D

Ghost

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Re: Re: Lock Problems

Ghost said:

as if to say "Are you really going to leave me here by myself?" "Are we done flossin today?"

I usually just blow her a kiss and tell her that I am not abandoning her, and the clicking sound stops!:D :D

Ghost
now, fellas, before Acswerver jumps in, I will just tell you that is Ghost, our resident expert on "Pimpology" telling you how it should be done ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
My car started doing the same today. I bought my 91 L sedan a couple of weeks ago and this morning I start the car and the locks start clicking. Then this afternoon with the keys in the ignition I shut the door and they lock by themselves. Had to call a locksmith out. Then I get in the car to start it and while it is running the door lock. Then as the car is parked in the garage unlocked, the alarm (factory) starts going off and the doors are locked. I was going to post a message to see if any one else has had this problem and I see it is common. How expensive is it to replace the conto; module or what ever it could be? The locking does not bother me but I hate to have the horn going off at 2 am in the garage.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Lock Problems

Leon Millette said:

now, fellas, before Acswerver jumps in, I will just tell you that is Ghost, our resident expert on "Pimpology" telling you how it should be done ;)
Thanks Leon for saving me from TheAcSwerver's response! hahahahaha I look forward to hearing from him on a daily basis.

But as far as the locks go, I took my car to the dealer on Saturday and just asked a general question about the locks...........well 3 hours later and a quote for over $300.00 to fix it, I decided that I will let her click away for a little while longer. I'd rather pay to have that weather stripping around my windows replaced first. The only diagnosis that they could give me was that my door lock actuators were going bad and that it was only a matter of time before I would have to replace them. Well my car has been doing the click sound since day one so I will wait. Their other solution was a 95 6-spd (Green, 71,000) for $16,500. I passed on both of them...........the 6-spd was nice though! D A M N!

Ghost

1 - 18 of 18 Posts