Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kinda short notice, it is at least a week+ notice, can be as much as 10 days, but I am looking for airfare for not this weekend but leaving next sunday (May 18th), or wanting to. There is no set destination, this is a "on the whim" kind of vacation.

My brother told me to go do standby at the airport, but I have been told by other people that airports no longer really do standby. He was saying that you just show up at the ticket counter and stand in a line for 3-4 hours and then when there is a half empty plane, or whatever, they let you pick between a couple of destinations. Others have told me since the whole september eleventh thing, there is no longer a random destination standby, you pretty much have to pay like $25 service fee as well as full price ticket and you can standby onto any flight, but you pretty much have to buy a full priced ticket.

We are looking for a cheap round trip airfare, and going somewhere with stuff to do for 3-4 days. I'd LOVE to do New York, haven't been there in a good 10 years, and the (soon to be) wife (yes this is a honey moon thing). Chicago would be nice too, but I'd need pointers on sights to see, and things to do.

The honeymoon is being paid for completely by us. If we can't find airfare, hotel, and car rental for under $1500, we will probably do something lame like drive to san antonio for 3 or so days. I don't want it to resort to that, I have been to San Antonio too many times, the sights there just don't excite me.

Any pointers on getting cheap airfare, hotel, and cars (optional if in a walking type city)? anyone use an internet "travel agent" site with good success on price and comfort?

·
Xb*x L*v*: * 40 *u*c* *
2,481 Posts
southwest airlines has cheap flight.. and i would go to chicago, my uncle used to live there and got damn there is alot to do.. weither its the museum of natural history or the zoo and aquarium or walking around. go to chitown

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Here's one:

IAH (Houston) to LGA (New York city) Departs Sat, May 17 4:35 PM with a return trip to Houston on Wednesday the 21st at 9:50 AM for $291 per person (round trip).

Depending on where you stay, you really wouldnt need or want a car. Subway and taxis work just as well, and for the most part would cost you less.

I've seen hotels go for as little as $120/night (although those are definintely out of downtown).

Here's another:

Houston to Chicago Departs Sat, May 17 7:00 AM and return trip Departs Wed, May 21 9:40 AM for $229 per person (round trip)

Rental car would run you around $35/day plus all the little fees they tack on.

Hotels vary again based on where you want to stay, but typical rate would run somewhere between $125-$175/night.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
hey if you leave early enough and can fly into LGA or JFK, you can make the tri-state meet and I'd be more than happy to get u at the airport and over to the meet ;)

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
appreciate the offer, but I don't think the wife would go for that....:p

Called continental and got a price of $339 r/t to LGA leaving tues the 20th and returning sat the 24th. that is for 2 people I BELIEVE... he said we were getting the 10 day advanced purchase price. I have also found some hotels online for ~$100/night, x3=$300+339=$700 after tax. I would've preferred to go a bit longer...said flight from Sunday (has to be AFTER saturday, wedding is at 5 on saturday) $420 r/t + $100/night x 6 nights= $1200 after tax. I'm going to see if the wife is alright with that, and that is only if the price I got from continental is per 2 people, not per person.

thanks for the heads up 94legendcpe...

anyone ever stay in a hostel? I got a quote for $50/person for the week at the hostel, wondering how that experience would be. Kinda assumed though that a hostel isn't much of a honey moon stay, more of a backpacking through europe kind of place.

Going to keep looking, gotta book soon if I wanna lock in the "10 days notice" discount.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Trust me, you do not want to stay in a hostel for your honeymoon. It (and your new wife) will haunt you for the rest of your life. My wife still gives me hell for the "old" hotel we stayed at in Maui on our honeymoon, becuse she wanted to pull out all the stops and stay in the resort next door. Remember, you only get one honeymoon (well, typically only one FIRST honeymoon) so make it as nice as you can afford! Dont forget when you're booking to tell EVERYONE that you're going to be on your honeymoon, some of the freebies are nice. Champagne and roses in the room, free breakfast and spa treatments. Just make sure you let everyone know, it'll make her feel special too!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You ever think about taking Amtrak from Houston to New York? It would be a little bit more than flying (and take two days) but would a leisurely way to make it up there while getting to see some other places in the process (Chicago, Pittsburgh). Not sure if you or your wife like to take "the long way", but thats another option for you. I won't even recommed Greyhound : )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.