Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, our 1990 LS coupe with 160,000 miles is dying. It's our second one and my wife who is the primery driver wants another one. Our local dealer has a 1994 LS coupe with 117,000 miles and is asking $8000. It looks fantastic but I have no knowledge of the G2 legends. What should i look for. What are it's weak points. By the way it's an automatic. Kelly blue book rates it at around $8000, which I thought was a bit much, but I may be wrong. Well, that's why I'm here. Educate me please. Thanks.

· 'hood Garage
3,177 Posts
Man it better be krispy for 8k. Just like everyone else said. You need documents stating that timing belt water pump, etc. was done by professionals. No rear fender rust, no cracks in the leather seats. What the color scheme? I'm guessing red w/ tan interior.

· Registered
186 Posts
94 Acura Legend LS huh... You would be a fool to pay $8,000, I would only buy it, if it was PERFECT for that much! I mean not a blemish, they would have to put some 18"s on it too. haha.. I payed $1,500 for my 91 Acura Legend LS.. It only had 72k miles. It came with a radiator, catalytic converter, and alternator.. I spent $2,000 fixing it because they blew the head gasket, water pump, timing belt, and a long list.. So i got mine for $3,500, thats a steal. KBB its $8,500, but usually when i buy cars, you MUST knock of a few thousand from retail, unless it is perfect and mint.. For that 94 with that much mileage id pay $6,500 tops, even if it was mint.. Just my $.02...

· dealer-opted track pack
3,469 Posts
You guys are the idiots.
A '94 coupe in excellent condition with 100k sells for 9-10k in Southern California.

Your $1,500 Legend is a beater. Hence why it costs $1,500.
Not every other Legend is worthless.

k.

· Registered
186 Posts
Your the idiot to pay that much.. Legends come cheap in Seattle buddy.. MINE A BEATER? Pshh wow.. Too bad when i got it tehre wasnt a scratch just a list of things to fix, so after $2,000 you basically have a NEW legend, with 72k miles not 117k miles.. Which is a what 45k mile difference!? Also, i like 91's body better.. The only thing is i would trade engines in a second for the 30+ HP.. I love legends dont get me wrong but to pay 8k is outrageous, specially from a dealer, they are as shiesty as it gets, they probably stripped the parts, went to a wrecking yard and swapped parts! haha.. some actually do it.. its faulty.. Try to buy from a private seller, you will get a WAY better price.. I would consider paying 8k if the car was brand new in every aspect besides mileage..

3,469 Posts
LegendLuxury205 said:
Your the idiot to pay that much.. Legends come cheap in Seattle buddy.. MINE A BEATER? Pshh wow.. Too bad when i got it tehre wasnt a scratch just a list of things to fix, so after $2,000 you basically have a NEW legend, with 72k miles not 117k miles.. Which is a what 45k mile difference!? Also, i like 91's body better.. The only thing is i would trade engines in a second for the 30+ HP.. I love legends dont get me wrong but to pay 8k is outrageous, specially from a dealer, they are as shiesty as it gets, they probably stripped the parts, went to a wrecking yard and swapped parts! haha.. some actually do it.. its faulty.. Try to buy from a private seller, you will get a WAY better price.. I would consider paying 8k if the car was brand new in every aspect besides mileage..
Strip what parts? Are you crazy? Nobody sells a perfect condition car,
regardless of make and model, for $1,500. You bought a real fix-her-uper for that price.

k.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Relax people. I believe the initial responses are correct.. an excellent condition 94 should sell for $8k or less. That means all service records, perfect condition, seats not cracked, no rust, etc. I do believe 117k means that the car has to be PERFECT for the price.

Khoerling, youre partially correct, but 9.5k is pushing it. The 95 L Coupe red on tan with only 38k on it went for under ten grand. Other low mileage examples sell for under ten grand.

The Legend loses its resale value every year. It is hard to think of a Legend that would go for over 10k. So for the fact that Legends with under 50,000 miles on it go for under 10 grand, it is not unreasonable to question 8,000 for a coupe with 117,000 miles on it.

As was said, better be perfect.

No reason to call eachother idiots, although I believe some Legend owners (such as myself) can't come to terms with the fact that in a few years their car will be worth $500.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well,thanks for the feedback, I think. The price is not set in stone. The car is in fantastic shape. I would not buy the car without the dealer doing the timing belt/waterpump as part of the deal. The car is silver. I got alot of opinions on price, but my main consern is what I should look for in problem areas. I know what to look for in a G1, having owned two, but what are some of the more commun problems with the 1994 G2's. Where are the rust spots on this model, is the tranny a problem area, the CV's etc.Sorry for my English as it is not my first language. Thanks again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so I had time to kill and started reading most of the threads, seems as though the head gasket is a big problem with these cars. I'm having second thoughts about even looking at a G2 Legend. Sad, as i really like them but I won't be DIY'ing a head gasket on this car. Anybody have an idea as to how commun this problem really is? It seems as though a good many people here have had this issue.

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
If the car is silver then it must be an aftermarket paint job. I don't think there was a stock silver that year.

The head gaskets are a pain in the ass. Both of my Legends are over 200k and both have had HG problems which resulted from a leak or lack of maintenance by the previous owner. I did a Type II swap in my sedan and am planning to do one in my coupe in the next couple of months. It actually takes less labor to swap the engine than it does to replace the head gaskets. A head gasket set and machine work w/ valve job cost the same ammount that I spent on my Type II. Other than that they have really been problem free. Just regular wear parts repair like shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

· Registered
186 Posts
The headgasket blows like no other, water pump goes out, timing belt, they are a few of the flaws with the G2 legends.. When i bought mine, for $1,500 the head gasket was blown, radiator, timing belt, water pump, alternator, needed a new battery, brake pads were somewhat shot.. So yes Khoerling it was a fixer up and it definitely was a good investment, because i have a somewhat new 91 Acura Legend Coupe LS, when i got it, it was in good/great condition, now that i got in an accident and such, its not in as good as condition i got it. Dealers strip parts from the car and replace them with ones that arent as good or as good quality, for example take the Bose 6x9's and trade them for some roadmaster, road rage, extreme or some k-mart brand speakers, then sell them. But the most common thing they do is strip the aftermarket parts, and swap them for the stock ones.. If you dont already know this then you are truly an idiot.. Or dealers in your area aren't as faulty as Seattle Dealers... Hence i never buy from a lot, a private seller is better, cheaper, and you get a few thousand off KBB value.. In total i payed $3,500 for my car after these repairs, and KBB says its worth $8,500.. When i mean good/great condition i speak of the body, paint, seats, dash, leather, windows operate, mats are clean, tires were almost new 80% tread, it was CLEAN, just had mechanical problems, thats the reason i got it for soo cheap... So whos the idiot now?

Strip what parts? Are you crazy? Nobody sells a perfect condition car,
regardless of make and model, for $1,500. You bought a real fix-her-uper for that price

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer has the car listed as silver, to me it looks looks like a champagne color. But that's not important, I'm not sure why a dealer would go through the trouble and time to remove used parts and replace them with more used parts that would also take time to remove from a doner car. How much can the removed parts be worth to make up for the time he had to pay one of his mech. to do the swap. Makes no sence. LegendLuxury, if the car you bought had that many things that needed repair, it was an unkept car. I'd rather pay $8000 for a higher milage car that has been taken care of than $1500 for a lower milage car that has been ignored. Also your car is three years older.
Scargo, not too many legend coupes in the northeast for sale. Even less that haven't been riced out. I prefer no engine mods. It's not a 0-60 car for us, it's the wifes go to work car.
Thanks all.

· ***ned
4,631 Posts
arnach said:
Relax people. I believe the initial responses are correct.. an excellent condition 94 should sell for $8k or less. That means all service records, perfect condition, seats not cracked, no rust, etc. I do believe 117k means that the car has to be PERFECT for the price.

Khoerling, youre partially correct, but 9.5k is pushing it. The 95 L Coupe red on tan with only 38k on it went for under ten grand. Other low mileage examples sell for under ten grand.

The Legend loses its resale value every year. It is hard to think of a Legend that would go for over 10k. So for the fact that Legends with under 50,000 miles on it go for under 10 grand, it is not unreasonable to question 8,000 for a coupe with 117,000 miles on it.

As was said, better be perfect.

No reason to call eachother idiots, although I believe some Legend owners (such as myself) can't come to terms with the fact that in a few years their car will be worth $500.
lol, a 91 LS Sedan is already worth $500. That's what I got mine for and it runs perfect!

3,469 Posts
Cheap people buy wrecked Legends with salvaged titles for $500.
Said people then enjoy attributing their problems to everybody else's Legend and Honda.
Grow up, boys. You got what you paid for--a beater.

Contrary to claims, your cars are not in mint condition.
People like myself would be ashamed to own such a piece of junk.
Just because the car says "Legend" on it doesn't mean it's really a Legend;
it's still a beater. It probably belongs in a junkyard.

k.

· ***ned
4,631 Posts
khoerling said:
Cheap people buy wrecked Legends with salvaged titles for $500.
Said people then enjoy attributing their problems to everybody else's Legend and Honda.
Grow up, boys. You got what you paid for--a beater.

Contrary to claims, your cars are not in mint condition.
People like myself would be ashamed to own such a piece of junk.
Just because the car says "Legend" on it doesn't mean it's really a Legend;
it's still a beater. It probably belongs in a junkyard.

k.
A beater? HAHAHAHA Not even close. All I need is a hood and grille. Everything else is just fine! The only reason I got it for $500 was because I Tresspass towed the car, no one claimed it within the 90 Day period, and my boss sold it to me for $500. If I were to put a price tag on it the day I got it, it would have been at least $4k and I would have gotten that much for it!

You mush be jealous cause I have connections! So don't call my Legend a beater! Thank You!

P.S. You sound like a BMW owner! :p

· Registered
70 Posts
I bought my car a month ago for $3,000 and it's a 91. it had overheating problems and the previous owner put a new waterpump,TB,Thermo,Radiator,Plugs and Hoses. but it had a BHG and the previous owner payed me for the parts cause he felt it was his problem. I think $8k if in next to mint condition just have a Mec. inspect it before buying. The motor and car should last a long time with proper maint.

3,469 Posts
1_Hot_Legend_L said:
A beater? HAHAHAHA Not even close. All I need is a hood and grille. Everything else is just fine! The only reason I got it for $500 was because I Tresspass towed the car, no one claimed it within the 90 Day period, and my boss sold it to me for $500. If I were to put a price tag on it the day I got it, it would have been at least $4k and I would have gotten that much for it!

You mush be jealous cause I have connections! So don't call my Legend a beater! Thank You!

P.S. You sound like a BMW owner! :p
You originally posted that a '91 Legend is "already worth $500."
Now you are claiming $4,000.
Stick to your story.

k.

P.S.
I am not jealous of your tow-truck-driving job.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.