Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every morning when I start the car.... back out of the garage... and press on the brake for the first time... I get a loud click... sounds like something is sticking...then it will clamp... almost like sticking pads... any idea what else it could be?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
KeithQNguyen said:
It's normal... both my coupes did this and i've cleaned the reconditioned the calipers... --=Keith
Yeah, I had heard the noise a while and ended up asking my old man to listen to it. As soon as he heard the sound, he said it was normal, which was a relief :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the system requires you to step on the brakes when shifting out of park. there is a solenoid that makes a clicking noise (usually very slight) when you step on the brakes. Is this what you are hearing, (the noise will be inside the car not outside)? That is normal.

2,707 Posts
Atiyeh said:
Every morning when I start the car.... back out of the garage... and press on the brake for the first time... I get a loud click... sounds like something is sticking...then it will clamp... almost like sticking pads... any idea what else it could be?
If you read his post, you'll see that he gets the noise after he had backed out and is pressing the brake for the first time. So it can't be the shift release as he is already in gear.

My Odyssey does the same thing (they are known for it). Each time you change your direction of travel (forward to reverse, or vise versa) then apply the brakes for the first time, the play between the brake pads and the caliper is shifted, causing the click. The last time you would have applied the brakes while in motion was when moving forward pulling into the garage.

If this sounds like the problem you are having, I think it is somewhat normal.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get that click to, makes me kinda upset everytime i hear it but the brakes work well. That card flapping noise is hard-spots on you rotors. It gets real annoying when you drive with the windows open. The best thing you can do is replace them, if you turn them down it is a waste because it will just start happening again. Get brembo blanks. ;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
if you have both the pad retainers in your brakes shouldnt click Searchin4acoupe's right its just yo pads moving with the disc.. up and down in their bracket

·
Registered
465 Posts
Brakes moving in the Brackets

The clicking noise is the brake pads moving within the brackets. This could be from use of an aftermarket pad and in that case, "it is normal". You might want to look at the pads and see if the area where they are held in the brackets are bent or worn. This could cause the noise to become more pronounced and I am trying a couple of things out to see why my GS does this sometimes and not always. It is all in the brakes. The sound is not something to worry about, but is very annoying. :(

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Guy's it's not the shift lock engaging... it's the outside brakes making a Clank noise... it's most noticeable when in a parking garage, but outside isn't has bad.... I have had stock pads and after market pads, all do the same thing... --=Keith

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's probably caused by freeplay between the pad and the bracket. This is usually more noticeable when the brakes are cold before the pads expand. Here is a way to test it:

1) When brakes are cold, put car into reverse then brake. This drags the pads to the front of the bracket.

2) When car comes to a complete stop, put car into a froward gear.

3) Move car forward and brake. If there is freeplay, it will make a "CLICK/CLANK" sound when the pads are dragged to the back side of the bracket.

There are two things you need to do to eliminate/reduce this noise.

1) Make sure your spring retainer clips are installed on each front and rear edge of pad brackets. The clips prevent the pads from moving around too much.

2) Put some "Disc Quiet" paste on the edges of the pad backplate (Do not put this stuff on the pad material itself.), especally where it comes in contact with the retainer clips. The paste should dampen any noise it may make.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
hondaman23 said:
The clicking noise is the brake pads moving within the brackets. This could be from use of an aftermarket pad and in that case, "it is normal". You might want to look at the pads and see if the area where they are held in the brackets are bent or worn. This could cause the noise to become more pronounced and I am trying a couple of things out to see why my GS does this sometimes and not always. It is all in the brakes. The sound is not something to worry about, but is very annoying. :(
My brakes work perfectly, and they click when I go in reverse or forward too. They are all OEM components, and are still in spec. It's been doing this for a long time now, and I don't think nothing of it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
smth_hckr said:
My brakes work perfectly, and they click when I go in reverse or forward too. They are all OEM components, and are still in spec. It's been doing this for a long time now, and I don't think nothing of it.
The clicking sound does no harm. It's just annoying. My Legend never made the noise. But my 02 Civic makes the noise since the first day I bought it. The dealer told my it was normal. I ignored it just like you until I upgraded to EBC Greenstuff pads. I paid special attention to greasing the edges of the pad backplate with "Disc Quiet". It has not made any noise for almost two years.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Atiyeh notes that after putting on the brakes they kind of "clamp" or stick, and the sticking obviously causes the brake pads to drag and shift position (at least until they hit the ends of the caliper and clips....why are the brakes sticky?? I never had this problem in any of my Legends (3), but I always made sure the caliper guide pins always were lubed and cleaned so the caliper would float properly without any drag...so this should be checked out..at some point the caliper can freeze and burn up the pads....check all the pads for equal wear, if the inside pad is worn more than the outside therein is the problem. Could also be deteriorating hoses on the interior..,not releasing the pressure totally....way to check is to apply a few pumps to the brake pedal, then go out and crack the bleed screw..if it burps or spurts fluid a bit...you have too much retained pressure....it should just start to drip.,,,,of course you could also have bad seals or scored wheel cylinder/piston....This is not really "Normal", although it may be common...not the same thing! Brakes should be silent. You can also have some high points on rotor/s that grab and shift the pad/s. really needs a close look to eliminate all the possibilities...good luck guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.