Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 4 door 1990 Acura Legend. It is manual transmistion, and when I drive in reverse there is a loud clicking noise. The clicking is in relation to the speed that i am travelling... thus the faster i drive in reverse, the faster the clicking clicks.

Its a little scary and I just need some advise on what it might be before i bring it in to the shop or anything like that.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Are you sure you are all the way in reverse? When I first got my car and the hydraulic clutch line was bad, it sometimes only went into reverse halfway. Not knowing this, I would try to back up, with the gears not meshing completely. This caused a clicking sound, which was faster the higher the RPM's were.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.... however; i am completely sure i am fully in reverse. I know the noise that you are refering to. The one i am talking about is not as loud. The sound actually comes from the engine... not from the gearbox area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Loud grinding sound when in reverse

Hello,

I am having a problem with grinding sounds coming from my passenger side rear wheel area. The sound only comes when I am in reverse. It is not hard to put it in reverse, nor is it running any different. The brake pads look ok, and I cannot figure out what it could be. The sound is almost metallic, like something is rubbing which should not be, but I can see of nothing rubbing.

Has anyone encountered this before, or anything similar.

Thanks

jah

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Merged...

I've merged the threads on here that had to do with this subject. Just a heads up. :2cool:

·
Remember
153 Posts
Re: Loud grinding sound when in reverse

techshy said:
Hello,

I am having a problem with grinding sounds coming from my passenger side rear wheel area. The sound only comes when I am in reverse. It is not hard to put it in reverse, nor is it running any different. The brake pads look ok, and I cannot figure out what it could be. The sound is almost metallic, like something is rubbing which should not be, but I can see of nothing rubbing.

Has anyone encountered this before, or anything similar.

Thanks

jah
Jah, I had this exact symptom on an other honda car and it turned out to be the first symptoms of worn brake pad and rotors with oversize rust ridges. So if your pads are fine, maybe the rotor is overly ridged? Probably nothing much to worry about for now if it only happens in reverse.

If you hear a hum that changes in sound or intensity at different speeds and especially when cornering in a particular direction, its not impossible to be a wheel bearing problem - though to be honest in the last 2+ years on this legend chat board I have never yet heard of someone having to replace a rear wheel bearing.

Good luck, L.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Loud grinding sound when in reverse

L,

Thank you I am at least not as worried as before. I spoke to someone originally who said it may be my transmission, I am happy to hear it is not.

Just one more question:

If it is the rotors and not the pads, how is it that they could work fine for so long, then one morning backing out of the gargage they decide to act up?

Thanks again!

jah

·
Remember
153 Posts
Re: Loud grinding sound when in reverse

techshy said:
L,

Thank you I am at least not as worried as before. I spoke to someone originally who said it may be my transmission, I am happy to hear it is not.

Just one more question:

If it is the rotors and not the pads, how is it that they could work fine for so long, then one morning backing out of the gargage they decide to act up?

Thanks again!

jah
I just saw that you guys were having rain recently? Maybe that set it off, perhaps some gunk dislodged onto the brake mechanism or whatever pre-rust was there bloomed? It may go away on its own if that's the case. Try braking hard a couple of times on the highway (when no one is behind you of course) - and see if the sound reappears or changes.

I of course can't gurantee that's the problem!!! Just what it sounds like to me. If it were the transmission the sound would not be coming from the rear of the car.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.