Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has a very, very low pitch whine (more like a whirring sound) that comes from it and is in sync with the revving of the engine. When the car is out of 1st gear and past about 1500+ RPM's you cant even hear it- the engine is so quiet.

When I took it to an Acura dealer (big mistake) they said my power steering pump was bad, so it was not being lubricated properly and thus, was making the noise.

Does this sound correct and if not, what else could be the cause of the noise?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
csamos2 said:
My car has a very, very low pitch whine (more like a whirring sound) that comes from it and is in sync with the revving of the engine. When the car is out of 1st gear and past about 1500+ RPM's you cant even hear it- the engine is so quiet.

When I took it to an Acura dealer (big mistake) they said my power steering pump was bad, so it was not being lubricated properly and thus, was making the noise.

Does this sound correct and if not, what else could be the cause of the noise?
It's very hard to diagnose noises on a forum such as this. You're going to have to find the noise for yourself; verify that it is the PS pump.

Remove the plastic cover over the pump. Take a short length of hose, put your ear at one end and probe around the engine with the other end. This should at least isolate where the noise is located.

You can also take a long screwdriver (or socket extension) and place it against the PS pump. Put your ear at the other end of the screwdriver and if the noise is coming from the pump, it will be real evident.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For about $5 you can buy a mechanics stethescope and probe around that way too.. Although I do like the McGyver'isms suggested as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
But, yes.... A bearing will make a noise like that, so it may be the problem... ALWAYS good to make sure for yourself though....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bearing? Sounds bad? Where?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts