Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do I have to buy to lower my Legend? I want it to still function as a good everyday car, so how much do you guys think that I should lower it? I know that I need springs, but do I need to get shocks too?

I have a 1994 Legend Coupe L w/ ADR 17" GT Sports, and Michelin Pilot Sport Tires. Mods so far are just new sounsystem, tires, wheels, clear corners, and HID's. I also have some clear bumpers signals, but haven't figured out how to install them yet.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the first question you really have to ask yourself is "How much do I drive my car and do I still want the LEGEND ride quality?"
Then ask yourself "Do my 17's have the right offset & tire size?"
Finally ask yourself "How Low do I want to go?" or "how low could I Realistically go?"

OK now we answer the questions from past experiences.
I really wanted to lower my car, but I wanted the "SLAMED" look with the same ride quality of the legend and nothing less.
If you live in a place where it never snows or you don't drive your car in the winter and want a really SWEET looking drop with the BEST ride for aftermarket I would go with
1. Koni 5 way adjustable shocks/struts for about $500.00 all 4
2. H&R Springs for about $250-$300 for all 4
3. Ingals camber kit for about $125 for front only(you may not need this depending on how bad your camber is)

This will drop your car about 1.5 inches with the koni's set on factory settings or about 2 inches with the koni's set on the low setting. (koni struts have a perch which can be adjusted for an even lower drop and the ride comfort can be adjusted from hard to soft)

Second set-up would be the Ground Controls(GC)/Koni set up used if you have to lower and raise your car from time to time. I.e. snow and the ride quality is good, but not as good as the above set up.
1. Ground Control "Coils" for about $400.00 with koni brackets
2. Koni Struts - above
3. Ingals above
The "GC" coils are very good and let you raise your car up 1 inch and lower it about 3.2 inches. The ride is not as good as the H&R's and I do find the upper mounts made very cheap (ripped after only 1 week, and yes they were installed by a "GC" suggested installer.

Price will vary from place to place.
I wanted an EXTREME drop, but with the snow here and the BAD/ Very low offset of my rims that would be out of the question, but If I lived somewhere where it never snowed, or If I sell my motorcycle and buy a winter car (YA RIGHT!) I would go back to my H&R's in a second over the GC's.

Good Luck with your car and sorry about the long post,

Mark

AKA Legendmap

·
Registered
282 Posts
a group buy on ground control?

hey thats great when is it gonna get started?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You were talking about snow, but how about rain. I live in Seattle and it rains a lot! If there is snow then I can find another car to drive, or I'll just sit the day out (snows once a year if that). Thanks for all the help.

What about the eibach springs? I have heard of quite a few people using those too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You know what I have even had the Eibachs and I know alot of people like them, they are also the spring that ground control uses on there coil set-up. I found the drop was very mild, about 1 inch in the rear, but with the factory struts setting they actually looked like they raised my car. I guess my factory springs were a little worn:D. People said the rear looked good (especially because I had a system that weight down the back about another 1inch (VERY HEAVY SYSTEM, NO RACING FOR ME:mad: )
but the front looked like a "PLOW" everyone said.

With the Koni's on the lowest perch on the front they would look good, but to be totally honest I found that the H&R's springs with the perch set on low was just SWEET. I mean I was ripping turns at almost 80mph when they are rated at about 30mph with no real body roll or no fear of losing control (With 18's and should not be done!, but sometimes everyone want's to feel like an indy driver:cool: )

If I was you and you are worried about the rain I suggest waiting and seeing how much the Ground Control group buy is so you can set the hight of your car accordingly.

GOOD LUCK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about me????

I want to maintain that acura quality ride... I want the coupe i have lowered but have about a 1inch gap. I'm probably going to get 17X7 w/ a +48 offset tires 225/45/17's... Will the GC's and Konis achive my drop and ride quailty???? or will somthing else be better??

Also I heard suspension tech are good springs the drop is 1.3 inches... also the coupe is higher in the front so what would be a good drop height on the front to keep it looing even???

last statment..:) some people have used one brand of spring in the front and another brand in the back??? Is anybody doing this and is it suggested?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know of a good place to buy this stuff? I think that I'll probably end up going with the H&R's because if it snows or something I just won't drive or I'll get another car. :p

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe : answers to your questions =

If you only want a 1'inch drop then you would be best to go with the Koni & Eibach set up instead of wasting more money than you have too. Put the koni on middle perch in the rear and on the lowest perch on the front with the ride setting on the softest or a 1/4 turn from the softest setting and you should be fine. The Eibach's are a little more stiff than the H&R's, but they will give you the drop you are looking for.

If you really want the GC coils then go for it, but there will not be that much of a ride difference if you only drop them 1 inch vs. the just the Eibach springs. Use the money you save on the coils and buy an ingalls camber kit and pay for the install. Besides on my GC's the upper mount has already ripped and have to be replaced.

I have driven in a coupe that has Sus. Tech. springs and I did not like it. It is more "bouncy" than any other spring I have used and they will drop about 1.7inches in the rear (depending on how heavy your system is and only about 1.3 inches in the front. If you drop your perch on the koni's in the front to level out the car then it has a 1.7 drop all round and that is lower than you wanted. If you were to do that then you are better off going with the H&R's.

As for using to different types of springs, I think that is a waste of money cause no company will sell you only 2 springs for the front or rear (for the same price as the set. ie. Eibachs are about $200.00 for a set of 4, but if you only buy the front without having a warranty card number they will charge you $90.00each. They drop the price if you send your damaged spring in and want a replacement.) If that was the cause I would just use the ground controls and set the car to look as you please and it would still probably be cheaper.

Good Luck,
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does the ingals camber kit do? Why would I want it or need it? Does anyone know where there are some pics of legends that are dropped 1" vs. 1.5" or in between, because I'm really not sure what I want yet.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
What does the ingals camber kit do? Why would I want it or need it? Does anyone know where there are some pics of legends that are dropped 1" vs. 1.5" or in between, because I'm really not sure what I want yet.
This is a picture of my car with the Eibach Prokit (1.1" drop)
This is with 18" Enkei Shurikens. As you see, not very much lower than stock. But handles better than stock - (substantially improved)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Eye Candy said:
Thai.95LCoupe : answers to your questions =
As for using to different types of springs, I think that is a waste of money cause no company will sell you only 2 springs for the front or rear (for the same price as the set. ie. Eibachs are about $200.00 for a set of 4, but if you only buy the front without having a warranty card number they will charge you $90.00each. They drop the price if you send your damaged spring in and want a replacement.) If that was the cause I would just use the ground controls and set the car to look as you please and it would still probably be cheaper.

Good Luck,
Mark
I have 2 different setups on my Coupe..
The reason being is I was almost to the point of obsessed with getting my ride height even. At first I had just Eibach springs front and rear with stock shocks. But after I completed my system, the rear had maybe a 1 3/4 finger gap but the front was 4 fingers which irritated the hell out of me. So I decided to get Konis front and rear which I thought would help the problem, it did a bit, but not enough, the front still looked as though it was lifted more than the rear. So I said, hey, what about GC's and I got a set for the front and was intending on placing them on the rear, but the rear was already so damn low just because of the weight of the system. So now, on the front I have Ground Control/Koni, and the rear I have Eibach Prokit/Koni.
The ride along with the 18" wheels/ 40 series tires is suprisingly good for the setup and im quite happy with it.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
acuralegend.com said:

I have 2 different setups on my Coupe..
The reason being is I was almost to the point of obsessed with getting my ride height even. At first I had just Eibach springs front and rear with stock shocks. But after I completed my system, the rear had maybe a 1 3/4 finger gap but the front was 4 fingers which irritated the hell out of me. So I decided to get Konis front and rear which I thought would help the problem, it did a bit, but not enough, the front still looked as though it was lifted more than the rear. So I said, hey, what about GC's and I got a set for the front and was intending on placing them on the rear, but the rear was already so damn low just because of the weight of the system. So now, on the front I have Ground Control/Koni, and the rear I have Eibach Prokit/Koni.
The ride along with the 18" wheels/ 40 series tires is suprisingly good for the setup and im quite happy with it.
Just exactly what I was saying..Darren is right, the Pro Kit will NOT give you the kind of drop you want if you want the front lower than the rear. In almost all cases, the front is higher than the rear in the case of the Pro Kit. I personally think the Prokit should have at least a 1.25 to 1.5 drop and the rear 1". But, alas, I guess there is a reason for everything...

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
I'm riding on Eibach and Koni (lowest front perch, upper rear perch). When I first got it installed, I had like a 1 3/4 finger gap up front and a one finger gap in the rear. After settling and getting my system put in, I'm now sitting at about a 1/2 to 0 finger gap in the back and a 1 finger gap up front.

Going with this setup was enough to accomplish what I wanted. However, I believe that the coupes may sit a little higher than the sedans, so that may play into your decision.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, wow, I know that this is kinda off topic, but is that a stock paint job on that first legend??? It looks amazing or is that just some real good wax, if so, what kind?

Hmmm, I definitely don't want the front of my car to be higher than the rear. So if I undertstand correctly, if I do the Koni's and the eibach prokit (is that just springs?), then the front of my car will be higher than the rear?

Do the groundcontrol's give a good ride?? Does anyone have pics of the H&R's? What do you guys think from what I have told you would be the best? BTW, my system only consists of one Infinity Perfect 12, and I don't plan on adding any more than that.

·
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11
402 Posts
Count me in on the Ground Control Group Buy as Well!!!!!!!!

I want in on the Group Buy!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slammed..

See I want a set up EXACTLY like Darren's ( the finger gaps I mean)... But my trunk is EMPTY.. I have one 10" in a small box in the back that dosen't add any extra weight.. I want the front to have only about 1 inch ot 1/2 of an inch space... The Rear I guess I only have to drop an inch or so cause it already low stock...

With 17X7 with a +48 offset and 225/45/17 i'm straight on no rubbing problems so... If I go with a set up like Legend GS I should be cool...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts