Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to know which companies make coilovers or springs and how low you can go, the ground control website says most people get 3.5-4" maximum drop, and thats what im looking for, does anyone have ground controls on here, please let me know

·
Registered
180 Posts
They dont auctally make coilover's for acura legends, If you want to drop the car. You can buy coilovers for another car. But make sure the weight of the other car is similar to the legnd. Because if you were to buy a coilover kit made for a civic, the ride would be buckwild since the civic is alot lighter, so the spring rate is differen't.

Accords, have similar weight as the legend. And BMW's

·
Registered
583 Posts
it was my understanding that GC made coilovers at one time for our L's, however I'm not sure if they still make them.

Using them from another car may be easy, may be a pain in the a$$... depends. Only diff may be a brake line support, may be different strut mount size etc. Check all the aspects out first:
Weight, length, diameter, mounting hardware etc.

BTW if you lower your G1 3-4 inches, your sittin on the ground with an undrivable car.

I have the Intrax springs with KYBs and my car is low. Low as in draggin a$$ over pop cans. They advertise 1.75 inch drop, and they are every bit of that after they settle.

The trick set up would be to get air struts and bag your car.
Drive it lifted for suspension, then when you park, use it to dig for potatoes.

Good luck with it.

Ps my 1.75 BARELY kept me within specs on my camber adjustment . Any further would be wearing expensive tires and ride like [email protected] and be a danger on the road. You would have to make your own adj. plates as none are available for our cars.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you lower it 3" its not on the ground, and you can still drive it, 4 might be pushing it but 3 isnt, lots of people around here drive it that low, and the roads here are ****.

·
Registered
583 Posts
slammedlegend said:
If you lower it 3" its not on the ground, and you can still drive it, 4 might be pushing it but 3 isnt, lots of people around here drive it that low, and the roads here are ****.
Still waiting for my answer....
My car went 1.7" lower in the front. Look at the photo. Now imagine it 1.3" lower... for a total of "only 3 inches" .
Do YOU want to drive around city streets with your oil pan 1.5" from the ground? Um, I don't. You would have a hard time straddling painted lines in the roads.

The Lesson for Today is: Don't believe every smack talker that has access to post on the net. Ask for actual FACTS (like a photo from someone who has "been there and done that").

buk<stepping off his high horse... or low G1...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Bukowski !

My Legend's Y-pipe and tow hook is in the same condition as yours and my car hasn't been lowered. It looks lower on the front than the back. The guy who owned it before me probably compressed the springs or something, I'll find out more.

I also know a Acura Technician who used 98-2000 Honda Accord V6 sleeve coilovers from OBX-R on his G1 Coupe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's almost the same suspension setup as the G1 Legends. The Accord V6 has pretty much the same weight. The only modification you have to do is adjust the bumpstops.
He used OBX-R because he didn't know that Ground Control made sleeve-style coilovers for our cars. He lowered it, so there was a 1.5 inch gap between the top of the tires and the fenders all around. The ride felt stiffer then stock.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if i were driving alone, I would enjoy the bumpy ride. But if you like to take your family around alot. Then i prefer you get something with the same weight as legend, or something alittle lighter. But my friend has told me, most of the springs for coilovers, have almost identical spring rates. you are better off with preformance lowering springs. But it would cost more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no, those dont work, i found a guy that has 0-4" coil over sets for sale, he wants a group buy, told me, 180 for 5 people, 130 for 10 people or more, email me for his email address. i already bought mine off him, they work great, custom made.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Still waitin for that all powerful photographic proof of a G1 with a 4" drop. If you have it installed, take a pic of the oil pan.:giggle:

4" will put your Y pipe as well as your support member on the ground. period. as in not moving at all, dragging all the time.

anxiously waiting pics....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.