Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is unusual amounts of smoke coming out of my exhaust I know this is not good please help me out and tell me what my be my problem. my oil also burns like crazy. hold me down

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
What color....?
Blue is oil:( .... could mean worn piston rings
White is antifreeze:( :mad: which most likely means head gasket failure, which I just had to do on my sedan, and it is big bucks...

Are you sure you are burning oil?? You could be loosing it in your cooling system, and blowing antifreeze out the back. If that is the case you have a major cross contamination problem which needs to be addressed immediatley... let us know whats up though..
:)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Three questions Dun,

1. When was the last oil change?
2. Did the mechanic make sure the gaskets and seals were straight?
3. Do know how to check for a cracked block?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
When I did my HG, my block was cracked. It is basically just a visual inspection when you have the whole engine ripped apart.... nothing you can really do. The crack in my block was small and in a good place so it was put back together with no problems at all.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mckenzie91 said:
What color....?
Blue is oil:( .... could mean worn piston rings
White is antifreeze:( :mad: which most likely means head gasket failure, which I just had to do on my sedan, and it is big bucks...

Are you sure you are burning oil?? You could be loosing it in your cooling system, and blowing antifreeze out the back. If that is the case you have a major cross contamination problem which needs to be addressed immediatley... let us know whats up though..
:)
it looks like white smoke but at times if I look at it hard enough sometimes it seems blueish. I usually have to keep checking my oil to make sure there is some in there.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whiplash9001 said:
Three questions Dun,

1. When was the last oil change?
2. Did the mechanic make sure the gaskets and seals were straight?
3. Do know how to check for a cracked block?
I just changed my oil yesterday. got ripped off at jiffy lube. But since I always end up needing more oil they fill it up every time I return for free. I'm not sure if they check the gaskets and seals at jiffy lube but if they do they haven' informed me. Hold me down with the info on checking a cracked engine block

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I am sorry to say it.... but your legend sounds like it is very sick. Blue smoke means you are burning oil and white smoke means you are blowing out antifreeze.... Two very bad cases.

As for checking for a cracked block, you have to rip the engine apart and physically look at it. I would say that this is your situation...

Blown head gasket and worn out piston rings due to low oil levels...= complete engine rebuild.

Sorry, sounds like it needs major surgery... Take it to Acura and pay the $75 to get an accurate diagnosis. But make sure they do something to your car... dont let them lok at it for 3 minutes and tell you something you already know.. get some tests done and get an estimate.

I wish you luck as I just went through a similar situation and got screwed with a cracked block:)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
One more thing to add.... I am not a mechanic.

If you are not having overheating problems then it is possible that your HG is not blown. I would start with finding out with where your oil is going. If it is cold where you are then it near impossible to tell if you are blowing white smoke... so start with the low oil situation. Oil is the blood of your engine so dont let it get too low... blue smoke is defenitaly either burning oil or carbon deposits in your exhuast system. But if you rev your car hard every once and a while you will not have carbon deposits.. so it is most likely burning oil. get back to us..

DISCLAIMER>>.... I am not a mechanic.:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mckenzie91 said:
I am sorry to say it.... but your legend sounds like it is very sick. Blue smoke means you are burning oil and white smoke means you are blowing out antifreeze.... Two very bad cases.

As for checking for a cracked block, you have to rip the engine apart and physically look at it. I would say that this is your situation...

Blown head gasket and worn out piston rings due to low oil levels...= complete engine rebuild.

Sorry, sounds like it needs major surgery... Take it to Acura and pay the $75 to get an accurate diagnosis. But make sure they do something to your car... dont let them lok at it for 3 minutes and tell you something you already know.. get some tests done and get an estimate.

I wish you luck as I just went through a similar situation and got screwed with a cracked block:)
:( dam son. I don't even have any loot. just spent 1336.36 on a clutch job. thanx for the info.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mckenzie91 said:
One more thing to add.... I am not a mechanic.

If you are not having overheating problems then it is possible that your HG is not blown. I would start with finding out with where your oil is going. If it is cold where you are then it near impossible to tell if you are blowing white smoke... so start with the low oil situation. Oil is the blood of your engine so dont let it get too low... blue smoke is defenitaly either burning oil or carbon deposits in your exhuast system. But if you rev your car hard every once and a while you will not have carbon deposits.. so it is most likely burning oil. get back to us..

DISCLAIMER>>.... I am not a mechanic.:)
Your info is appreciated. R you saying while warming up the car rev it up hard once in a while?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts