Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you probabally have all experienced and realized, our legends are not all that cheap to maintain!! about three months ago, my distributor went out (around 150 bucks), now the front lower ball joints (60 bucks a piece). after that a new alignment (70 bucks). just put two new yokohamas (220 bucks plus mounting).

argh...this ain't easy going to college full time and working part time :(

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Well, maintenance is the key goal to a happy car. However, don't forget a huge portion of your car's life and needs will be determined by how the previous owner treated it. Wheel alignments and tires are a normal thing to do on ANY car, thus shouldn't be considered more expensive on the Legend.

The problems I have experienced have been:

G1
-Failure of the Automatic Tranny (I had just got the car, so dealer replaced at no cost, 121k.)
-Put in HondaATF, best way to keep the Auto happy.
-PGM-FI Relay malfunction
-Valve Ticking

G2
-Vehicle Speed Sensor

And of course, a pricey MUST for the Legends, is the Timing Belt Job.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
All car parts are expensive. No matter what brand u have.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Esti-

Well, as far as "all autoparts are expensive" goes, I cashier at an autoparts store, and it seems like a lot of G1 legend parts are almost twice as expensive as most other cars. Compared to american cars, our ball joints are 75 bucks vs. their 40 bucks. My distribitor was over 150 dollars vs. 80 dollars for most other brands of car. H-rated tires are at least 70 dollars (in Hawaii) vs. 40 dollars for passenger rated tires. Our altenators and starters, fuel filters are usually 2x more costly as well.

So, I would think a car such as the Legend needs parts that generally *more* expensive than other cars, right?

Rick-

well, I went into Sears to replace my front tires (waited wayyy to long to rotate, ended up eating up the fronts) and get a new alignment. They mounted the tires and everything, but told me they couldn't give me alignment b/c they had found my front lower ball joints to be bad (hence it wouldn't keep an alignment). The car's handling has been extremely loose and akward on quick turns, so maybe Sears isn't jerking me...anyway, I found the products on my own (they were going to charge me 120 dollars a PIECE for the l. ball joints, i got em for $60 w/ my employee discount). Now, I'm heading to my regular mechanic for a second opinion.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
LegendHi- Thanks for the insight on the car parts. I always just figured that car parts in general were expensive. You think car parts are more expensive or cheaper if they stop making the car?

ohhh and a friend of mine always told me that nissan parts were more expensive then honda parts. What do u think?

Esti

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Even though it's expensive (due to age of car, and milage), I think it's worth it to keep on of the most elite cars of the 80's on the road and happy. What's an extra + for us is that when our car's happy, we are even happier. As for me, I got a cooling system leak to investagate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts