Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '95 coupe is at 105k right now. It also has a leaking HG, so I was planning on doing the HG and 90k service at the same time. Someone suggested that for the same price as the service, I could replace the entire engine with a used (~70k miles) engine, and they would change the TB in the new engine before they put it in the car.

Now, what would be the benefit of this? I would have no idea how the engine was maintained. The odometer would never again be right. And it would seem like there's a lot more that can go wrong with an engine swap than with just a HG and TB repair.

On the other hand, if they get the heads off and they're warped, it's probably cheaper to replace the engine than to replace just the heads, right? (Assuming the heads are warped beyond milling specs)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
My situation was the same as your until I found a six speed.

I was planning on keeping my car forever.... so I got the HG service done. My block was cracked and my heads were the fine. But, in your situation I would get the HG done.

You know what has been done to the engine
You know when the oil has been changed
You would have an engine that is all sealed up tight again, because the HG kit from Acura includes all the seals and gaskets for the upper part of the engine.

Good luck on whatever you do, but dont procrastinate too long, cause that costs $$$.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think you made some good points. Specially about not knowing how the motor your getting has been maintained. If it was run hot for whatever reason you could have another head gasket failure, which would defeat the purpose of getting a newer motor.
Also, I doubt that a used motor swap as you described could be done for the cost of a 90k service and hg replacement. You should be able to get the parts for around $500 (waterpump, gasket set, and belts) provided the motor isn't damaged. And then shop around for a decent shop to do the labor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts