Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I looked in my manual to figure out what kind of oil Acura recommended for the manual on my 86 Legend. I was stunned to find they recommend motor oil and 10w30 at that. I have never put motor oil in a manual transmission but rather have put gear oil in the past. What have you all used???

·
Remember
153 Posts
Don't use synthetic motor oil it is too thin and you will have grinding shifts and trouble getting into first gear when not at a total standstill. Go with Redline MTL if you are in in temperate climes or Redline MT90 (what I use in DC) if you are in hot climate. If you can't find Redline in your area, use honda MTL. Big difference from motor oil for smooth shifting despite what the manual says. You will feel the difference. Just my opinion based on personal experience. Cheers, L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
again, for what it is worth, i have mobile 1 in the transmission of my 88 legend. 10w-30. works fine. using mobil 1 in my 83 mercedes benz 240d also. it too works just fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. Put motor oil in it as suggested. Not sure what was in it before, it had a kinda light blue hue to it and had a bit of a sweet odor to it. It was extremely thin...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Use 10W-30 or another manual tranny fluid like redline. Gear oil is too thick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.