Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 6 speed LS to one of those cheap fill and drain places today. (Probably a big mistake)
I think they may have confused the transmission and differential fills and put honda MTF that i bought in my differential. She didn't sound right when I got her home, so I jacked her up to look just to make sure they put the fill/drain plugs on tightly and they didn't come off.

Is the MTF drain fill underneath kinda behind the engine and tranny? near where the shift linkage is right?
When I looked underneath at that drain plug still had oxidation on it like it hadn't been touched.

Then as i'm sliding back out I happened to notice another drain plug that I thought was the differential was wet. The Diff is on the side near the passenger side tire..right?

Am I completely wrong about this and do I have it backwards? I hope so.
What is the potential problem/damage this can cause?
If I have to take out the diff fluid and replace it should/could any sort flush be done on the diff?

I don't see how they could have even done this since the diff is supposed to only hold 1.11 quarts and the tranny is 2.4 quarts and they gave me back only 1/2 a quart when I asked for the rest of the MTF.

Does anybody have pics or know of a thread i missed that shows this?

I tried to look at Mike Diaz's DIY thread, but the pictures are gone since the imagebucket site went down. I couldn't really tell for sure looking at online manual but it seems to backup what I am thinking went wrong..

Somebody please help confirm or deny my fears..thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That is why I try to do whatever I can myself on any car I own, but I understand if you need to bring it in. There are some diagrams on the online service manual. Look under the manual trans section and I believe page 3 shows the drain plug for that. It is located well underneath the car by the shift linkage and the drain plug is facing downward. The differential oil drain plug is on the passenger side near the driveshaft. Look under differential in the service manula and page 4 for that diagram. The fill plug is just above it.
If you feel they put the trans oil in the differential, I would say you would have to drain the differential and then add some new 80W/90 fluid thru and let it just drain right out to sort of flush out the other oil. Then refill it with new diff fluid. You would probably be ok after that- of course I am not sure what damage that may have done or how far you drove it with that 10W40 oil in it which is way too thin. If it were me, I would then drive the car a bit and drain and fill again to make sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.