Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake has been acting up lately. The pedal has a tendency to sink in while I drive. I added some brake fluid in there since the reservoir was a bit low (it wasn't empty). Since then I've been getting that sinking feel. One mechanic said that my master cylinder is faulty; therefore, causing the problem.

My thing is: He simply looked at the master cylinder and made a presumption. Can you tell a master cylinder is bad by just looking at it? Also, He told me all my pads need to be replaced - and quoted me $250 to do everything ( brakes and master cylinder) What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
This past November my brakes were doing the same thing. Basically, if I was stopped at a light sometimes the brakes would start to sink towards the floor and I would have to pump the brake quickly to stay stopped. It did not happen all the time, but at least once a day.

My mechanic changed the master cylinder and the brakes have been perfect since. It cost me $190 for parts and labor.

·
has left.
4,520 Posts
$250 for new pads and a master cylinder isn't bad... I'm willing to bet the last time I had a master cylinder alone installed I paid $250.

Get the master cylinder replaced. It's a common Legend problem... he didn't look at the master cylinder and tell you it was bad (though - he may have... is it leaking fluid?) he made an educated diagnostic based on the symptoms you're experiencing when driving.

And for future reference, replace the brake fluid at least ever 2 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.