Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a lot of guys talking about custom mesh grills. I have 3 questions about them, please.

1. What kind of mesh did you use?
2. How did you attach them?
3. Have you noticed any overheating/running warmer??

Thanks.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I haven't done it , but most people use the gutter guard screen from homedepot (about $5.00). My father did it on his CL-s and it looks great. Our G1 have such a small front grill area, I don't think it makes a big difference.
-Not sure about the install
-I don't see why it would run hotter, air is still allowed thru

esti

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the kind with the larger holes or like a screen door type mesh?? I noticed that one one of the websites for car bras, they mentioned that overheating may occur with some of the finer meshes.... Dunno..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Easy to do & no overheating problems

I used the gutter guard from home depot and it works great. I used the kind with slightly larger holes. It's easy to do. I learned from the LegendTuner website. There's two types posted there... the deep inset (which requires a bit more work) and the other one is positioned more up front. Both look sweet in my opinion.

Legend Tuner :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
mesh grilles

Hey there guys
I have done the upper and lower grilles, very happy with the look of both. I would recommend using grille/ mesh material available from auto parts shops as (at least here in Aust) gutter guard is made from a soft aluminium alloy which doesn't stand up well to impacts. This won/t be a problem for the upper grille, but the lower air dam is a substantial section, and as the grille has a regular pattern, dents and such are easily visible. I went to a spoiler / custom bodywork shop and got a section of silver mesh for about 20 dollars aust.
For the top grille its a simple matter of taking off the chrome grille sections from between the headlights (several large screws to remove the whole assembly, then a few more to remove the two chrome trim pieces. Next cut a piece of grille matieral to cover the grille area and use the chrome trim to secure it in place (might have to make screw holes in the grille matieral or cur around the screw areas. The V624 VALVE badge is an issue as it gets in the way of a neat flat grille install. I opted to remove it and IMO the grille area looks neater without. (its now mounted on my monitor).

The lower grille is a bit more tricky - really there are a few ways to do it. Hardest would be to remove the bumper and install from the back. I found that cutting the grille mesh taller than the air dam, putting a 90 degree bend along the top edge and using self-tappers to 'hang' the grille from the underside of the bumper is easiest. You should then be able to push the grille into the air dam caivty, and if you've been careful with cutting the mesh, it can push-fit in. I've had mine installed like this for about 12 months and it is a clean fit - looks stock, no problems after giving it a few vigourous cleans.

would love to post pics, but no digital camera still!!

Email me if you have more questions

richard

·
Registered
347 Posts
ps 40 degree centrigrade plus weather idling in traffic and no overheating probls with both grilles fitted.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... That's exactly what I'm after... How big is this mesh and what is it really used for... What am I supposed to ask for ??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re The Mesh:

A couple of options here. First I would look at whats available in gutter guard. There are several types, so before you go looking for the real grille stuff I would check out the gutter stuff and see if its strong/aesthetically pleasing/corrosion resistant around the cut edges etc. You may well find an excellent mesh for 2 dollars a meter.
I couldn't find anything workable here in Melbourne - we only had ****e plastic mesh or very soft aluminium.
Going to a bodywork shop / custom bodykit or spoiler place is a good place to start looking for the real deal. They generally have a few types of grille in various patterns - eg that wide gap horizontal black stuff the new Audi's have in their air dams, as well as shiny silver stuff and other colours.
Its more expensive, but the lower dam area is large, and it's the kind of mod that can look wicked if it's done right, or rice if done wrong, so Id make sure you're happy with the look of the mesh on the car before buying a truckload of it.

good luck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks... Will try !!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Esti said:
Our G1 have such a small front grill area, I don't think it makes a big difference.
Don't forget that the G1 sedan has a lot bigger square than the Coupe versions. Also the 90 coupe has slightly bigger opening as well but it lifts with the hood....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts