Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brake light is on.. so i thought i needed to change all the brake pads.. since the reserver for brake fuild was full..... anyways. i got all four pads(8 total).. first i took the driver front wheel off and check out the pads.. there isn't any shims... just the brake pad.. is that safe??.. should i get brake pad shims and put it back?? .. the old pads were about 2 mm deeper than the new ones.. so i guess i didn't need to change those.. i might look at the rear pads tomorrow and see if those are costing the brake light to come on.. by the way.. for the rear pistions.. does it need to be roll back or can i just use a C clamp???.. thanks guys..

· Registered
995 Posts
ALnut said:
my brake light is on.. so i thought i needed to change all the brake pads.. since the reserver for brake fuild was full..... anyways. i got all four pads(8 total).. first i took the driver front wheel off and check out the pads.. there isn't any shims... just the brake pad.. is that safe??.. should i get brake pad shims and put it back?? .. the old pads were about 2 mm deeper than the new ones.. so i guess i didn't need to change those.. i might look at the rear pads tomorrow and see if those are costing the brake light to come on.. by the way.. for the rear pistions.. does it need to be roll back or can i just use a C clamp???.. thanks guys..
the pad shims are only there to reduce noise. they arent necessary.

I do believe that your car does not have electronic pad wear sensors, which means that the pads will not trigger your brake light to come on. You did good by checking the fluid level. The only other place I can think of checking is your ebrake. maybe that wire is grounded and the light stays on. do you have ABS? That should be a separate dash light.

I don't know if your car has rear drum parking brake inside the rotor, if it does like my 96-04 RL, the piston does not need to be screwed back in, rather just pushed like like the front. you will be able to tell if the piston is hollow like the front or has a cross on the face of it. also the ebrake cable to the caliper is a dead give away :p

· Registered
2,843 Posts
The fluid level sensor on the brake master cylinder reservoir cap may be bad, not uncommon. Unplug either of the wires going to the cap and see if the light goes out. If so, the sensor is bad and you should replace the cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.