Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get great deals on these three brands but kinow nothing about them. Legecy, Lanzar, and A german sounding brand I think its called Volenhag, or something like that. I can get a 500 watt amp from all three of these brands for 80 bucks, what do you guys think and could you tell me about the brands, thanks.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
You get what you pay for, son.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They arent from the store at that price, They are originally a lot more than that, at least the lanzar is. A friend of mine gets them and said he would give me a great discount. Do you know anything about these brands or not? I am well aware that I get what I pay for in some situations, but in this situation it doesnt apply. Im more interested in the Lanzar but if these are crappy brands im not gonna bother.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Chuck-Hu$tle said:
Do you know anything about these brands or not? If not, dont post.
Straight out bro, I love you.
I'm just trying to help you.

a/d/s/ is what i will put in my car.
underrated amps is where it's at.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look, I didnt mean to sound rude but everytime I post someone says something just like that to me and it gets frustrating. What is a/d/s. And what do you mean by underatted amps?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you check that post I edited that part out shortly after I put it because It made me sound like an asshole, so sorry, I do appreciate the help.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Out of those amps, only Lanzar is acceptable. However, that was back in the early 90s. Since then I have heard, but can't confirm that Lanzar has gone down Hill. Lanzar used to be a good entry level amp company. What Jose is saying is that for a class A/B amp, the general rule of thumb is $1 for every watt. So, a true 500W amp should be roughtly $500. If you see an amp selling for $100 putting out 500W, than it is almost garanteed that amp is not realistically putting out a true 500W. Most of the better manufacturers rate their amps at a certain distortion at RMS power. It is very easy for a company to rate their amps at a higher distortion yeilding much more power on paper, or use a MAX power rating. Take my Percision Power PC 4100 amp. It is rated at 100WRM X4. This is either a 400W amp, or an 800W amp depending on how you look at it. The RMS power is 100WX4 or 400W, but it is capable of 800W peak power. Some amps will also have an unregulated power supply and rate their amps at a full 14.4 votls to get the maximum power. Anyway, you get the picture. I would choose the Lanzar if I had to pick from your list.

ADS has been among the top audio component manufacturers for a very long time. 70s I think. The became very popular in the mid late 80s with the PQ/PH series amps. I myself had some PQ 10 ADS amps and they are very clean sounding amps.

Also, when Jose says underated amps, he mean that the amps are rated on paper lower than what it is truely capable of. In the industry, they call this cheater amps. In competition, you compete in classes according to the power specifications of your amp. Say, 101-200W power class. If you use undertated amps, you can compete in this class and actually have something like 250-300W of actual power. This can do wonders for your score. You can have either a higher SLP score, or you can have the same SLP as the others, but turn your amp gains lower for a posible clearer sounding system and less distortion. You simply have that much more headroom to use. But that is why it is called cheater amps :D There is really nothing you can do about it as their is no industry standard for rating amps.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for the info, it was very helpful. I am gonna push 2 10w0s with this amp so I reallyy only need about 300-400 watts of power. they are 250 watts max a peice I think. I dont want to much bass just enough because I listem to all types of music and when there is to much bass some music sounds crappy. Im probably going to get the Lanzar simply because im not planning on competing and I really dont need any more power. The only thing is, what kins of sound quality will they get from an amp like this, im more after good sound quality thatn booming bass. Again, thanks for the info, and to Jose, sorry again about sounding like an ass.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Your looking at legacy and lanzar but you won't take pyramid or pyle? What the hell is that? All of those brands are on the same level, ****ty (even though I have a pyramid). Thats the way it is bro, you want something better, be prepared to shed out the big bucks for it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Chuck-Hu$tle said:
I can get great deals on these three brands but kinow nothing about them. Legecy, Lanzar, and A german sounding brand I think its called Volenhag, or something like that. I can get a 500 watt amp from all three of these brands for 80 bucks, what do you guys think and could you tell me about the brands, thanks.
If you want an amp that overheats or cuts out every other note in your music, then get the 3 brands you posted. Go read the audio forums at sounddomain.com or caraudio forums, you will hear nothing but negative feedback about them.
Like Jose said, you get what you paid for, spend the $$ now for quality stuff like PPI, A/D/S, MTX or RF. Or spend $$ later for replacement or repairs on the cheap brands.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
calm down in here.............no use for foul langauge.

Jose please edit to stars.

Do not continue to harrass each other

~Hybrid

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard Lanzar isnt THAT ****ty, The only reason I ask about these brands is I dont have 400 or 500 dollars to shell out on a brand new amp. You see why I get frustrated Jose?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Chuck-Hu$tle said:
I heard Lanzar isnt THAT ****ty, The only reason I ask about these brands is I dont have 400 or 500 dollars to shell out on a brand new amp. You see why I get frustrated Jose?
Hey man
I was suffering w/ a G1 for 2 yrs.
Just save up and get the good stuff.

If you dont have the knowledge nor the $$$, Use the time to get up to speed w/ your knowledge while the $$$ is getting saved up.

Sorry about my outburst
Anyone that knows me knows that I joke around too much but I almost sounded serious on that post. LOL

But yea man, get the good stuff.
In the end, I'm lazy and I like doing the work ONCE.
Do the same. It sucks to tear up a car 2-3 times cuz you arent happy w/ your Pyramid amp (grins)..

-Jose

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, Ebay is a good source for good amps at great prices. Just do your DD. Late 80's early 90's Soundstream amps ( Clean, plenty of juice, and reliable) can be had a great price.

Best regards,

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I will go with one of the brands you listed. And jose, Its no problem at all. With how I sounded in my first post I deserved it. I will be doing my homework in the weeks to come and I will let you know what I finaly go with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts