Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent the weekend upgrading my stock stereo in my G1 coupe (non Bose).

I have some bugs to work out, but first and foremost is the alternator/motor noise in the speakers. You know, the "whine" that gets louder and high pitched as the RPM increases!!

I have a 4 ga power wire connected to the battery and running back through the interior to the trunk to power the two amps.

How do I track down the source of the whine and eliminate it??

thanks!!

-FurBall

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
what i would do is first check u'r grounds. then check u'r rca cables and speaker wires. i had the same problem and coudn't pinpoint the problem so heres what i did.

1. run the power on one side of the car, run the signal and speaker cables on the other side.
2. use twisted speaker and rca cables.
3. make sure the the ground u'r using is good.
4. if the power cable and speaker cable are near each other, tape them togther perpendicularly (is dat a werd?). so that these cables are always perpendicular. (90 degrees from each other)

doin this got rid of my alternator whine.
hope it does for you too.

-j

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insite. I have my 4 ga power wire running down the drivers side of the car, between the seat and the door sill.

My speaker wires are running down the center of the interior, under the console, between the seats. So at no point are the speaker wires near the power wire.

My grounds go directly from the amp(s) to a body bolt in the trunk. They run seperate from each other. My multimeter shows that they are a good ground (I think) but how would I check that?

My RCA and speaker cables are not twisted though......is that going to be a problem?

-FurBall

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
it might and might not be. it jsut werked for me that way. if you have the extra cash, i say definately go for it. it's worth it.
as for the ground, check u'r meter to see if you get the full 12v. i noticed that some pionts in the trunk are not good grounds. the best ground points i found was the bolts ont he power antena and the tail light bolts.

-j

·
Registered
671 Posts
furball - do a little reading up on 'alternator whine' at this site: <http://www.carsound.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=2>, do the troubleshooting steps you'll find listed, and then post your question. you'll probably find that it is not, in fact, a grounding issue, but something else. by the way, pay attention to any post by david navone - he is the moderator of that forum, and is a *god* at troubleshooting issues like yours. good luck,

wally

1 - 6 of 6 Posts