Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, has anyone tried burning MP3s to a DVD to see if they will play in the RL?

Moderator, did you read the message before you moved it to Audio/Electronics forum the first time? This question is specific to the 05 RL.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would be happy to learn how to burn a MP3 to even a CD. Does anyone know how to burn a song AND add its Album, Title, and Artist to the CD or DVD. This would be awesome since the RL can supposedly read CD Digital Audio TEXT music CDs. I would be grateful for this advice. I currently have iTunes, musicmatch, and roxio on my computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CD Text is an optional data point that can be written to CD for each track. Depending on your software, it can be downloaded automatically from the net (when you copy the tracks from your original CD) or you can type it in for each track. I use Musicmatch and it downloads the information automatically and then burns it to the CD.

Regarding the DVD question, the manual claims that the RL will only play DVD-A formats. DVD-V and DVD-R/RW formats are not supported.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The RL does not seem to recognize DVD mp3's. I did record one and did try one in my RL....my computer could read it, but not the RL

Whatta shame.. it is conceivable that averaging 60mph, you would only need to change the dvd to hear new songs every 30,000 mi...!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hoosier, thanks for trying that and finally ansewering the question. Yes, VERY disappointing...especially for a $50k car. Lets hope Acura fixes this FAST. Acura should be applauded for trying to up the audio quality with DVD-A, but lack of support for DVD MP3 audio files is a bad thing...that can easily be addressed.

In reply to a prior post, I don't believe the current TL even supports MP3 CD's!

But Ok, the TL and RL both just got nice major redesigns...Thank You Acura! So Acura had it's plate full just doing that. A few things had to wait....like MP3 file support. So we cut them some slack. But now it needs to be addressed, MP3 is all the rage these days. Acura simply must respond. And what a great selling point....

I can hear the Acura salesman saying to the customer "...and this supports DVD MP3 disks. Thats 5000 or 6000 songs. You can probably bring your entire music collection with you." [even if the buyer, unlike us, never burns a CD or DVD he can tell people "That'll hold 6000 songs!" and impress everyone with what a great car he bought]

And get Sirius in there too!! :) ...and a FlashMemory card slot on the front of the radio to play MP3 audio from, OR record radio shows to. Imagine your TL or RL recording Rush or Howard everyday for you, to be played back at your convenience.

Oh, and one more thing...access to radar weather maps on the LCD like those found on Intellicast.com so we can see realtime weather conditions (delivered by either XM, Sirus, or cell phone access to the web for those who want neither satellite service). A neat feature that is also a safety feature. [XM already offers weather data to boaters, but it seems pricey right now...maybe this is the next battle space for XM and Sirius, to see who can offer better add-on features besides just music and talk]

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've burned both CDs and CDRWs with MP3s for use on my 05 RL

Process:
I use Nero 6.6
Open Nero Express
Select Music
Select MP3 Disc
Drag and Drop or otherwise select the MP3s to record
Burn (make sure to select the option to close the disc so that no more files can be written)

Notes:
Song titles will appear as the MP3 file name. You may wish to edit them beforehand(Do not remove the extension .MP3). Albums can be put into folders and selected. A CD or CDRW can contain hundreds of MP3s.

I don't have a DVD recorder so I can't speak to that factually but if the capability exists in the RL then the Process should be the same

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I know I dont have an RL but this is something Ive been wanting to know also.

I am getting ready to purchase a Cd player that plays MP3's <---Click

I have Music Jukebox on my home computer. I can burn music to a CD in either a regular music format or MP3. If I burn in MP3 format I cant hear the music on my current car cd player, But if I have a cd player that plays MP3's. will it play the disk I burned in MP3 format from my Music Jukebox???? or is there some other device I need to hear it.????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the Acura sales rep the TL doesn't play MP3s period. I kinda laughed at myself when I was doing a pro's and con's list of the TL vs. the RL and put that down. Yeah, it counts, but looking at the $15k delta, it doesn't count for much! =)

Hopefully support for MP3s on DVD will happen in the RL, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

MrSmith, I haven't used this Music Jukebox software you refer to but, I believe the answer to your question is yes. MP3 is only the encoding used for the song. When writing MP3s to CD you are writing them just as you would any other kind of data file, there isn't a MP3 CD format is my point, just audio or data. The CD players that can play MP3s just have the additional electronics built in to look at the data files on the CD and play ones that are in MP3 format. Hope that helps and enjoy your new MP3 enabled player.

·
Registered
993 Posts
if you burned mp3s on a regular cd, and you don't have a MP3 cd player, i don't think the cd player will be able to read the cd in the first place. A mp3 cd, is just a data disk with mp3s on it.

MikeyGY, says the RL is capable of reading MP3 cds...so i'm pretty sure MP3 DVD's work also. My brother has an 04 TL and he did try mp3 cds and it doesnt work. So what i'm going to try is a DVD-Audio. I think a DVD will be able to hold at least 100 Audio songs. It'll just be like making a regular AUDIO cd with cd tracks, but will be on a DVD. I'm for sure this will work.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Squelch Oil said:
MrSmith, I haven't used this Music Jukebox software you refer to but, I believe the answer to your question is yes. MP3 is only the encoding used for the song. When writing MP3s to CD you are writing them just as you would any other kind of data file, there isn't a MP3 CD format is my point, just audio or data. The CD players that can play MP3s just have the additional electronics built in to look at the data files on the CD and play ones that are in MP3 format. Hope that helps and enjoy your new MP3 enabled player.
That helped a bunch. You answered my question completely. I love the way you explained it, Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
>>MikeyGY, says the RL is capable of reading MP3 cds...so i'm pretty sure MP3 DVD's work also.<<

Not necessarily. Data CD's and DVD's use different file systems. CD's use ISO 9660, DVD's use UDF (based on ISO 13346...which does include some backward compatibilty to ISO 9660)
http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdintro/dvd_filesys.htm

BUT here's the catch....it appears DVD-A also requires UDF!!! And they ONLY use UDF! Soo.....if the RL's player already supports UDF, and the player can play MP3 files....then why won't it play MP3 files from a DVD? If it really can't, then Acura or BOSE must be intentionally blocking your ability to play them. If this is the case, why would they do that? Maybe they have a deal with the maker of DVD-A drives, they help promote the format in exchange for a better price on the drives.....maybe they didn't have enough time to code and test MP3 playing from DVD's in time for the '05 RL launch.....who knows. But the 2006 model are just months away....well see what they do.

I just hope they don't insist on pushing DVD-A for some reason, I think it will just cause friction with customers. I personally will probably never buy a DVD-A disk in my life. But that's Ok...some people will. But I'm willing to bet a high percentage of RL buyers already use MP3's in some form regulary.

Hey, imagine if Acura used a DVD drive in the player that can read DVD-9 disks (Dual layer, 8.54GB). With a 6 disk changer that'd be over 50GB of MP3 storage!!! I don't think the Batmobile even has that! And I'm willing to bet the OEM cost for the drive upgrade is under $20 per drive...if that! :)

Come on Acura! Do it! Talk about bragging rights.....You'll be heroes in the music world!! :bowdown:

More Ideas:
In addition to radar weather maps, how about local weather forecasts! Imagine you get in your RL start it....the LCD comes up weather radar on the top of the screen (so you can see what you'll be driving in)....and the 3 or 5 day forecast for your current location (or nearest city) on the bottom of the screen. This could be continuously streamed from XM or Sirrus (or retrieved by local cell internet connection)....it wouldn't take that much bandwidth.....City & State Name, Current temp & wind, Day1-5 forecasts (temp, Sun, Cloudy, Rain, Thunderstoms, Snow, Sleat...).....some meta tags to keep it organized....what, figure 200 bytes per city? .....even if you have 1000 cities, that's 200k bytes....that's only about 1 second of quality audio data! That's a tiny amount of bandwidth for these satellite systems.

Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why go to all that bother with DVD's. They are old hat now.
What you really need is a player that reads your iPod or similar.
Get in the car, plug in your iPod and it gives you access to 40Gb of data.
Either that or just fit the car with a hard-drive and be done with it.
You can get a 400Gb drive which should hold every piece of music you have ever heard. :2cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hard drives and cars are not usually the best of combinations. Unlike CD and DVD media, HDs can be damaged by impact and vibration. The iPOD connectivity would be nice, but frankly, I would rather not have to go buy an iPOD. It would be much nicer to be able to burn MP3s to a DVD on the hardware I already own. There is no question that MP3 CDs work in the RL. I have 2 in there right now that work wonderfully. I have not tried a DVD with MP3s since someone else on this thread already tried it to no avail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
>>Why go to all that bother with DVD's. They are old hat now.<<

Well, DVD's are down to about .34 cents to .50 cents per disk. That's $3 bucks (or less) for 28GB of storage. A 20GB iPod will cost you $299.

DVD = 1/100th the cost of iPod. :)

And I am one of those Apple fanatics (...well, up until OS X, but I won't go into that here) and hope Apple sells a gazillion iPods. And I hope Acura adds support for (all) external MP3 players. But the RL is a high tech car. They can EASILY support DVD MP3 files....for virtually zero cost.

Ok...I'll say it.....PLEASE Acura???? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
ReplacedLegend said:
Couldn't agree more!!

MikeGY or Squelch Oil:
So if get Nero I can burn an MP3 CD and the titles will appear on my RL screen?
Do all CD burners burn MP3s? I have a 1 year old Dell Dimension 8300 with a DVD-R.
An MP3 is simply a data file. If you have a device to write files to a CD then all you need is the software to write it in the proper format. If as you say you have a DVD-R that can write CD's and you use Nero 6.6 your in business.
Just follow the simple procedure described in my previous message.

I usually burn to a CDRW first to make sure I get all the edited titles correct, both the spelling and the length, check it out in the RL and eventually burn it to a CDR or as I've been doing lately, just use the CDRW. I've burned a dozen or so and all work flawlessly.

Your 1 year old Dell is more than adequate

·
Registered
6 Posts
hoosier, I was re-reading the web page I referenced on the DVD....can you burn a DVD that has BOTH the ISO 9660 and UDF file structures, that may let the player access the MP3's...

From that web page:

"A combination of UDF and ISO 9660 (known as UDF Bridge) is used on some DVD discs to provide compatibility with existing operating systems, including Windows95. Applications can access the data files using either ISO 9660 or UDF file structures, but the use of UDF is recommended."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.