Acura Legend Forum banner

my .02 on Brembo/PBR from Wood and a pic

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  aiznpride 
#1 ·
Okay, so after a month of having them on my car, I must say...WOW!!! I love them. They look cool, perform GREAT, very little brake dust, and they don't squeel. BUT, they do take some warm up time in the AM. Some have said that they have no issues with warm up with these pads but I do...anyway, I have Brembo dimpled/slotted rotors with PBR metal master pads, honda brake fluid, stock brake lines..and the pedal feel is MUCH better now, but that could also be attributed to having new brakes :)..anyway, here's a pic (it's a 64K file):

See less See more
#2 ·
SushiLicious said:
Okay, so after a month of having them on my car, I must say...WOW!!! I love them. They look cool, perform GREAT, very little brake dust, and they don't squeel. BUT, they do take some warm up time in the AM. Some have said that they have no issues with warm up with these pads but I do...anyway, I have Brembo dimpled/slotted rotors with PBR metal master pads, honda brake fluid, stock brake lines..and the pedal feel is MUCH better now, but that could also be attributed to having new brakes :)..anyway, here's a pic (it's a 64K file):

Not dealing w/ the brakes but what type of side markers are those? They look like BMW 3-series but can't figure out what year they would be.

#7 · (Edited)
Re: Re: my .02 on Brembo/PBR from Wood and a pic

94LegendL said:

Not dealing w/ the brakes but what type of side markers are those? They look like BMW 3-series but can't figure out what year they would be.
Yep, they're 3 series side markers, and they are '99/'00 markers. the '98 side markers are a little more squared off and have a rubber surround. I like the look of these :D, but it does take some cutting :eek: .

AznPride: Yes I cut them myself. How did I do it? This is the short version:

1. I made a cardboard template for the hole to be cut.
2. Test fit the side marker into the template (made sure of a snug fit, a small hole is easier to fix than a hole that is too big.
3. I "eyeballed" a spot on the car where I wanted the marker to go, and then put a large piece of masking tape there.
4. I too measurements from the ground to the bottom of where I wanted it to go, and the same from the door crack.
5. I traced the template onto the masking tape.
6. I then pulled out my handy dremel, put on a cutting bit, and put on safety glasses and then proceeded to cut (this was the scary part). I would recommend a variable speed one, because it's easier to start that way and to "grind" down the rough spots.
7. Test fit the light, stand back, make sure it's all good, voila, you now have a side marker.
8. I wired mine to the bumper lights (this way the side marker will only come on when you turn on your blinkers).
9. Proceed to the other side.
10. Happy cutting :D

Notes:

A. You should use a level to make sure it's not crooked. I did not do this and mine turned out slightly crooked, no one could tell but me.

B. Because of A, I have my second recommendation. Make the opening as small as possible so that you can get the tightest possible fit. This will also allow you to "grind" away some excess if you happen to get it in there a little crooked and yet still have a snug fit.

C. Remember to properly sand the surface of your cut and cover it up with paint or else it WILL rust.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. Next up, HID kit (when I have the cash, it seems as though I've been bleeding cash lately)....stay tuned for more mods to come

#8 ·
I like that alot. good job !!!!:) How much for the entire setup (Rotors &pads) and who/were did you get them.

Mr.WOOD? <--- :confused: :confused: what is that

#10 ·
SushiLicious said:
The entire setup:

Rotors: $225 for all 4
pads: $65 for all 4 (or was that $75, I can't remember)
shipping: $25

You can get them from http://www.raceconcepts.net . Ask for Mr. Wood, he'll hook you up. The rotors are Zinc plated and look really really good as you can see :D.
You mentioned AM break in time? Meaning in the morning while breaking it had to warm up right? Now that its been a month do you still need to warm them up. And what indication did it give you that they needed to be warmed up. Was it squeeling,squeaking,or what?

thx.

CakeDaddy

#12 ·
When I say warm up time, I mean, the rotors/pads are cold and they need to be warmed up before they work fully. Since it's warm outside now, I don't notice it as much, but a month ago when the AM was still in the 40's & 50's, they had to warm up.

By warm up, I mean that there was no brake power. I could step on the pedal real hard but the car wouldn't stop too easily. After driving for a few minutes it goes away. No squeeling, but you definitely know that your brakes aren't ready.

#17 ·
LOL....I think this is becoming a trend....Rogers just bought a set, his car is in the Gallery.....the wheels are 7x17 with a +45mm offset. I'm not sure if they come in chrome or not. They are the Voxx Argus and can be purchased at discounttiredirect.com. They are cheap ($130 ea.), currently on sale, I was told by the sales rep because of closeout and they are no longer going to make the wheel. This wheel used to be the Fittipaldi Argus but when Fittipaldi went out of business a couple of years ago, it wasn't produced anymore. Fittipaldi is not back in business but this wheel belongs to Voxx....now you know the history :).

I bought an extra one just in case they sold out and I couldn't get them anymore. I just checked their website and you can get it in chrome for $250 ea. AND you can get them all the way up to 20" :eek: Not sure if the offset will work with our cars though...

#18 ·
Question to the Brembo owners out there, do you notice a chatter/ticking sound under braking and even when driving at speed. Its only noticable when the windows are down and you drive next to a fence or building to reflect the sound back to you. Almost has the "card in the wheel spoke" effect you did on your bike when you were a kid. I checked the brake pads and they are installed correctly, I am using OEM pads but I need to upgrade. Thanks!

#19 ·
LegendC said:
Question to the Brembo owners out there, do you notice a chatter/ticking sound under braking and even when driving at speed. Its only noticable when the windows are down and you drive next to a fence or building to reflect the sound back to you. Almost has the "card in the wheel spoke" effect you did on your bike when you were a kid. I checked the brake pads and they are installed correctly, I am using OEM pads but I need to upgrade. Thanks!
Yep I have the same issue. I have a solution for that though.............turn up the radio...LOL. I figured it was attributed to the rotors. I'm not entirely sure why it does it, but my brakes work just fine, but I do hear the ticking, and yes it is a little annoying, but I figure you do have to make some compromises. I figure, my car is getting up there in age and it'll start to make some noises. Some noises I can't make go away easily. So my approach is to fix the ones that I can, and I won't stress on the others....

#21 ·
G Rahn said:

So that's what it is! My brakes are installed correctly and I have the noise as well.
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. It's not really too annoying I just wonder what my car sounds like when it drives by. I think it is the sound of the slots ever so lightly rubbing across the surface of the pad.

#23 ·
Where does that sound come from???

Well i asked my trusted mechanic and he said its just air whipping through the slots and holes.

it makes a kind of 'fwizzzzzzzzzzzzz' sound (lol).

at least thats what i hear from my wheels. if you have rims, the sound may be more pronounced as well. After i put my wheels on i noticed the a different 'windy' noise from the rims compared to the stockers. It wasn't tire noise either because that's a different sound altogether. the 'fwizzzzzz' sound came after i installed the brakes.

but yeah, just close the windows and/or turn up the radio ;) you'll get used to it after awhile and braking performance is definitely worth the annoyance. IMHO, its one of the best upgrades (per dollar) you can do for your Legend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.