Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '87, and right now it is running really crappy! The idle (& RPMs) jump up and down slightly when sitting at lights, and if I am driving down a hill with my foot off the gas (and off the brake) the car idle surges up and down then, too (it actually does this everytime the car is just cruising) could this possibly be that the fuel filter and/or the air filter are clogged, or could it be something more serious like the transmission! It is driving me nuts!

I recently put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank (can't think of the name, but it comes in a red bottle), and the car ran better that it ever did (really fast). Did I gunk something up? I only put it in that one time.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I believe several members of the board have cured this problem by replacing their distributor (I don't remember if they replaced the whole assembly or just the cap). In addition, you might want to check your oxygen sensors.

And no, the fuel treatment probably did not cause this.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The problem's definately not the tranny, it has nothing to do with the rpm's moving around. It's probably O2 sensors or something related to vacuum (EGR or vacuum leak.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe i wrote a reply to a similar problem, you may want to search the g1 forums for it. I would examine, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, check for vacuum leaks, check fuel system. Search for the post though as I might have forgotten something here (in regards to the o2 sensors, if this is a problem only when the car warms up then I would check those too; when the car is cold the ECU ignores them).

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've had a similar problem before. The idle was real funny. I got new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and put in about 3 treatments of fuel injector cleaner. I also replaced a leaky gasket. It is a lot better now and I haven't had the same problem in months. Not sure what did it. The wires were the most expensive. Everything else can be done for under $30. They are good things to do anyways. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all... I've been wondering if it might possibly be my distributor. I haven't had this car tuned up during the 2 years I've owned it. It's time.. I remember in the other Legend I owned that the wires ran me about $80! Is this standard? Any recommendations on a brand of distributor cap?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't think it is your distributor itself since it is still working. Usually those just stop working out of the blue. However, the cap and rotor could cause it to run very poorly. If it has been 2 years since a tune up I would try that before shelling out for a distributor. Go to pep boys or some place like that to get the parts. Wires are gonna be themost expensive and I wouldn't skimp on them. I got a set for around $75 with a lifetime warrenty from pep boys. Get a set and be done with it. Still would be less than getting a distributor from a junk yard.and on cap and rotor shouldn't matter that much. Wires, get the premium kind that are made to fit that exact engine. You may be able to find them online for less on Ebay or something.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
trenee said:
Thanks, all... I've been wondering if it might possibly be my distributor. I haven't had this car tuned up during the 2 years I've owned it. It's time.. I remember in the other Legend I owned that the wires ran me about $80! Is this standard? Any recommendations on a brand of distributor cap?
You can get Borg Warner wires from ebay for 25 bucks. I don't know how good they are though. I went with the OEM distributor cap, it's not that expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts