Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I start up my legend and head out to run some errands, and about 20 seconds into my drive my yellow ABS light comes on...so I'm thinking maybe if i add some fluid everything will be alright...well I get home, top off fluids (looked good before i added any) and start it up...light still comes on after 15-20 seconds. So i pull the 4 ABS underhood fuses for like 1 minute then pop em back in, and the light still comes on after 20 seconds. What can be wrong? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
You have a PROBLEM. Typically, resetting the system gains you a bit of time. You need to tap the computer to have it tell you what component has failed and set the code. Typical problem areas are pressure switch and wheel sensors, but you won't know EXACTLY, until you tap the computer. If you don't feel like this is a DIY, Acura will take about 30 min using the ALB tester which will ID the problem.

Meanwhile, your ABS is in disable mode.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Acura ABS modulator solenoids sometimes stick if they are not regularly actuated....this was very typical on my NSX, which didn't get a lot of drive time or hard use.....sometimes you can free them up by finding a nice gravel road and applying the brakes to lock them up.......make sure you have plenty of room and won't be a casualty! with the unit off, you may not be able to activate, but this procedure can be used periodically like a maintenance procedure to keep them free from sticking.

G

·
Thats happened to me a couple of times but I just turned the car off and back on again and light went off.. But it comes on and stays on for a couple of min. every now and then.. (in the past 2 weeks)

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k, now i have some more questions, first, my ABS light is off during the first 15-20 seconds i'm driving, does this mean that once i find a clear slippery surface i should shut the car off, then i have 15 seconds to engage ABS? Meaning, I'm assuming the 15 seconds the light is off that ABS is active, correct? and second, how do i 'tap' the computer? I've read that i should tap if i have an indicated code by a certain number of flashes. But when i start my car up, ABS lights up for the normal few seconds then dims as usual, no flashes, i was hoping there was something i overlooked rather than a serious problem. Thanks again for your help, keep the answers coming :)

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
DSMKiller said:
Well today I start up my legend and head out to run some errands, and about 20 seconds into my drive my yellow ABS light comes on...so I'm thinking maybe if i add some fluid everything will be alright...well I get home, top off fluids (looked good before i added any) and start it up...light still comes on after 15-20 seconds. So i pull the 4 ABS underhood fuses for like 1 minute then pop em back in, and the light still comes on after 20 seconds. What can be wrong? Thanks in advance :)
Check for any codes. Sounds like an defective wheel speed sensor

Mike / Cologne

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it doesn't really bother me that the ABS is off as i rarely put myself in the position to use it. Is there a way i can turn off this light?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I would say that in florida with no snow and ice on the roads, you are probably safe without it, but if you ever sell it, it may come back in your face because that is a VERY USEFUL SAFETY FEATURE that saved my butt more than just a few times this winter. It is actually amazing what ABS will do for you when it is called upon.

I think ScottP got his light to go off.... I think it was him anyways, I read that months ago and I dont see him post anymore. I would get it diagnosed at least because it may be something simple. That way you can watch for a used part or try and find one. I would say fix it, but that all depends on the CASH $$$ flow situation.

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've only used ABS once, and that was on dry ground cuz someone cut me off, and if it didn't come on i would have been fine...so for the one time in 3 years driving, i think i'm better without it, i dont wanna pay the dealer for diagnosis and have them up my butt about it every time i go, i'd rather turn off the light and not tell them about it, thanks for the advice though Mckenzie. does anyone else know how to turn off the light??

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Lets put it this way then.....

ABS SUCKS ON DRY PAVEMENT.
ABS RULES ON SNOWY/ ICY ROADS.

ABS actually increases your stopping distance on dry pavement, but allows you to steer through an icy patch. You obviously have no need for it so now just figue out how to take the light off and you're happenin'.
:)

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i'm not sure if it's psychological but it feels like my car brakes better now lol :) Stopping feels smoother and i feel more in control of the car. Now if i could only turn of that ANNOYING YELLOW light!

·
Registered
179 Posts
A Few Questions

1) If you start the car but don't move, does the ABS light ever come on?

2) When the ABS light comes on, does your Red Brake Light come on as well?

3) Have you attempted to follow bigdad's advise? Attempted a quick emergency stop before the system deactivates.

I'm a true believer in ABS myself as it saved me from slamming into the back of a limo when forced to stop on one of those ****ed steel contruction plates in the rain while carrying 3 passengers. (Talk about a worst case scenario huh!?) My light came on just this past weekend and I sat in the rain on monday reseating and checking every fuse. That was the problem. The fuses might be good but do to calcium buildup from exposure to moisture and various cleaning solvents.... the diodes just weren't making contact.

I find it hard to believe that anyone in Florida (rainy Florida) would not benefit from ABS at some point.

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i tried to engage ABS, as per big dad's advice and it didn't come on, i took it to 30-40 mph and hit the brakes pretty hard, didn't feel ABS come on, and soon thereafter the light came on. I also sat in the car without moving it and the light didn't come on. This leads me to assume that the problem is one of the sensors in the wheels. I'd much rather just turn off the light and drive carefully :) How much does a sensor cost typically?

·
Registered
301 Posts
$ 144 CDN.

Easy to replace, but you have to take off the brakes, the mounting bracket and the rotor for the troublesome wheel sensor.

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so how bout those instructions to get that ABS light off? :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looking at the under hood fuse box (standing perpendicular to the car ie infront of the driverside wheel).

Top of fuse/relay box

[1] [0] [0] Relays over here
[2] [3] [4] Relays over here
[0] [0] [0] Relays over here

1 - ABS unit 7.5A
2 - ABS B1 15A
3 - ABS B2 15A
4 - ABS B3 15A

I would pull fuses 2,3,4 to clear the computer and then pull and leave out # 1

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i pull 2,3,4 and leave one, then i pull #1 and leave all 4 fuses out? Wouldn't that leave the light on? have u done this before?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, did it before.

You need to get rid of the code from the computer first.
So, pull 2,3,4 .
Start car.
Replace 2,3,4 and then pull and leave out #1.

I'm going from memory, but that's how I recall doing it (until I replaced the sensor :D )

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
awesome, sounds great, when in that process do i start the car?

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
for now i need to stick with the fuse method, Spiff, when in that process should i start the car? Thanks again :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.