Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY car is running on 4 Cylinders :( . I dont know anything about cars but that 2 blocks( where spark plugs go) are not working.The check engine light is on as well.Need help on what they are called, how much, where i can buy them at? i have a pic of what im talking about.

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
I believe you are talking about coil packs. how do you know they are the problem?
autozone $49.99 ea.
or check with a salvage yard.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok, so you guys beat me to the punch, but I already had most of this written so I'll post it anyway.
---------------------------
I believe you are talking about the ignition coils. There are six of these, one for each spark plug. They are black and are fastened to the top of the valve covers by two chrome 8MM bolts, and one two-wire electrical connection. These coils create the high voltage needed to bridge the gap of the spark plug, thus igniting the air/fuel mixture. If a coil is bad, then the cylinder that it provides the electrical current for will not fire.

The figure below shows the locations of the six ignition coils. (EDIT: SORRY! its a RHD picture, but the coils are the same)

This next figure explains how to inspect the coil to determine if it is good or bad. You need multimeter to do this. RadioShack has a digital one for $20.

As for purchasing the ignition coils, you can buy them from an Acura dealership, a Honda dealership (if you have the part number, as the Honda dealerships don't have the ability to look up 'Acura' parts, though they are made by Honda), or from any auto parts stores. I would call Acura of Augusta (1 800 736 6818) and see what they can do for you with the acura-legend.com discount. I believe that factory parts would be the best, even if they cost a bit more.

You can check your check engine light yourself. Go the the Newbie FAQ or click this link-
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54131

and scroll down into the third post, just below the Vehicle Identification (VIN) section, it is titled -ECU Codes-.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
why dont you first switch out a non-working one with a working one. That way you can make sure it's your coils.
And if it IS working... then it might be your ignition ignitor is not telling those terminals to fire :) <-=-- learned the hard way and cost me 400bucks

EDIT< Oh, and I would recommend not driving it. If it is just your coils, then your messing up your ignition ignitor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.