Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my legend got hit today in the back, it got hit in the back drivers side, from what i see it needs a new tailight, bumper, and a new left back side, i have no idea how they fix that stuff cause its crumpled up bad, the damage stops just before the rear drivers side door. Right now i dont want to drive it cause there is scrapping on the rear tire. its was parked when it got hit, what i want to know is if i do get my car fixed (if it can be?) will it be as safe as it was before? or if there is damage in the back it can affect the whole car?? Thanks for the info guys, i really need some advice soon, and anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with the other persons insurance?

G

·
I was recently involved in an "accident" not nearly as bad as the accident you had...the other insurance company should be told what to do!! Be stern and don't take any of their crap!! I am still waiting for the adjuster, and the accident happend last monday!! Make sure you request all OEM parts and ask for a loaner car that is equivalent to yours...and by the way, sometimes after body work some cars come out better than they were before!! That's what I'm hoping will happen to mine!!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The first thing you should do is contact your local Acura dealer and ask for a list of recommended body shops. Second, you need to determine what is causing the scraping of the tire and whether the vehicle can be driven.

The worse case is that the quarter and outer wheelhouse have to be changed. The vehicle will have to undergo some frame-straightening time both in order to determine whether the unibody is out of spec (additional damage to rear frame rail/trunk floor) as well as during the repair. The adjuster will probably opt for used parts and may specify that a used OEM quarter/wheelhouse be used as well as other used OEM parts. You should specify that you want used OEM parts, not certified aftermarket parts to be used. If the damage is just to the quarter panel have a new OEM panel installed (the panel will be sectioned), even if you have to pay the difference between its cost and the cost of a so-called Certified part. I doubt that any insurance company will willingly pay for new OEM parts. Read your insurance policy. I'll be willing to bet there is a paragraph re new OEM vs aftermarket and used parts. Mine specifically states that I pay the difference. A used taillamp or bumper assy is no big deal. The bumper will have to be painted, new or used. If you just need a new cover, stay away from aftermarket.

Dependent upon the amt of damage, the vehicle's rear door and trunk lid may have to be blended and recleared. A sectioned quarter is usually installed at the belt line. A competent body shop will determine what steps will be required, and your vehicle will once again look like new. If the repair is per industry standards, the vehicle will be as safe and as roadworthy as before. You need to have a competent repair facility perform the repair.

If you want to assist in the process, start by using www.car-part.com to locate the taillamp, bumper and other parts.

G

·
NO screw that!! No used parts!! You make their insurance company or yours if it was a hit and run...buy all new parts!! It is not your fault and you should be pampered!! Now, if it was your fault then I could understand accepting used or aftermarket parts...all of my parts are being replaced from the acura dealer! The parts are ordered and then I pick them up before I take my car into the shop...covered by the insurance company...hope this helps, and oh yea...find a reputable place as your car will need some paint work!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.