Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wouldn't start periodicly. For the last couple of days, it's like hit and miss on wether or not it will start. I would turn the key in the ignition, nothing happens, not even a cranking sound, all the accessories would turn on, but just nothing cranks. I almost feel like the OEM starter kill is being triggered. Then I would come back to the car a few hours later, it would start right up. It's so weird! I can't figure out what's wrong, I don't think it the battery.

Also whenever it doesn't start, there is a small buzzing sound coming from the rear driver side corner of the engine bay, could that be the OEM starter kill? If so what could be triggering it?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
79 Posts
Corroded Battery cables or loose connection. Is it a clicking sound, or u damn sure its a buzzing?? Ur accs dont requires much amperage to operate but that starter draines a whole bunch. Try removing ur battery cables and coat ur terminals with baking soda and water solution. Lather, Rinse, and repeat. Then reinstall the cables.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I'm having a similar problem...

In my case however I'm SURE it's the battery. Which I will be replacing this Friday. When I attempt to start my car (if it hasn't been used for more than 12 hours). The accessories operate slowly (The steering wheel moves slowly), and when it's really drained, I hear a "Shutter" type sound coming from the Dash area. I know it's the battery in my case because the battery appears old, and charging it will work for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Now my car won't start at all now, still the same problem. And I know for sure it's not the battery, because I measured the battery output today with a multi-meter, and it read 12.5V

Also here is a pic of the area where the buzzing is comming from:

It's marked in Green, ignor the red arrow. It's coming from that dark round thing in the back, or somewhere around there.

Someone help me please? I really need my car!

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
check pump relay switch

can't say for sure, but it still could be your battery. just b/c it reads 12.5v doesn't mean its a good battery. the only way to tell for sure is when you start the car check the voltage output and see what the range of volts are. another thing that comes to mind is that the fuel pump relay switch is bad. that switch is adjacent to where ur pointing to but in the interior of the car. its actually right behind the deck on the left hand side of the steering wheel where the option for the foglights would be is. but i'm kinda really don't think it is that b/c if it was that then the starter would turn but it would not start. if you can jump the car then most then likely its ur battery. i hope this helps.

mutym

·
Registered
744 Posts
Volts (alone) does not start your vehicle. I would have to follow through with what MuTym has to say... The sound you are hearing may be coming from inside the cabin, driver footwell.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can have the strongest battery in the world, but if your battery cables are corroded, you will NEVER start the car !!!! replace the cables... It doesn't cost much... and try it again... You can start doing damage to things if you're pulling too many amps... I melted the battery clamps on my Toyota one time because of this !! Also make sure that all your main grounding points are clean... The buzzing is probably, like someone said before, the fuel pump relay starting up after receiving power from the battery when you let go of the key...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I come out to the car, turn the key and the starter won't turn. Normally this appears to occur after I have run the car at least once. Wait 45 to 90 minutes and it starts.

All of the accessories appear to be working and I have treated and tightened the connections to the battery.

The delaer told me that there are three circuits that could be the culprit; the ignition key, the starter itself or a relay behind the dash on the right side. Of course it always starts when I take it in and they have never been able to troubleshoot the problem.

One thing I did notice at lunch today when it wouldn't start is that the green light that indicates the Cruise Control button is pushed in was not on (and yes I did check to make sure that it was pushed in). The car started after about an hour and I came home. I immediately tried to start the car, noticed that this light was on and the car immediately started. Does this mean anything to anyone.

Bob

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bobchad said:
I have the exact same problem. I come out to the car, turn the key and the starter won't turn. Normally this appears to occur after I have run the car at least once. Wait 45 to 90 minutes and it starts.

All of the accessories appear to be working and I have treated and tightened the connections to the battery.

The delaer told me that there are three circuits that could be the culprit; the ignition key, the starter itself or a relay behind the dash on the right side. Of course it always starts when I take it in and they have never been able to troubleshoot the problem.

One thing I did notice at lunch today when it wouldn't start is that the green light that indicates the Cruise Control button is pushed in was not on (and yes I did check to make sure that it was pushed in). The car started after about an hour and I came home. I immediately tried to start the car, noticed that this light was on and the car immediately started. Does this mean anything to anyone.

Bob
You're in luck today! I just had mine fixed a few weeks ago, it turned out to be the start cut relay and the wiring around it. I had the same things happen like yours, the no start and cruise control button light doesn't come on. It took the dealer here 3 hrs and $300 to fix. Hopefully it won't cost you nearly as much since you know where to start looking now. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Do you mean the main relay? The one under the dash right? I had mine replaced on my old coupe, then I pulled it out when it was totaled. It did fix my cold morning starts. The noise you hear is probably the relay, listen closely near the hood release, that's where the relay is located. At any rate, I'm selling my Main relay, only 3 months of operation, let me know if any one's interested. --=Keith

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks White. I have it in getting the VSS replaced today and will call and have this added to the list.

Bob

·
Registered
82 Posts
Replace or substitute battery just to be sure and eliminate on possible problem.

The buzzing could be coming from the starter. Its just a motor that turns the engine. It could be getting energized, but the gearing might be cooked and it wont turn. The starter is on the drivers side underneath the engine. It has one wire going to it. Remove it, and attach your voltmeter + probe to it. Connect the - probe to ground. Turn the Key, and you should see 12 volts or so.

IF YOU DONT: Attach one end of a jumper cable to the starter and touch the other end of it to the + terminal. The starter should crank the engine. If it does, your problem is probably fuse, relay or other.

IF YOU DO: Reconnect starter wire to starter have some one crank the engine while you observe the starter. If the buzzing is coming from the starter the gearing is probably cooked.

This assumes the battery is definitely good. I would replace it just to be sure. The starter could be getting power but the current is not enough to turn the starter. This could also cause buzzing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OOPs! If you do these tests with a manual transmission, don't forget to step on the clutch before you try to jumper the starter.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KeithQNguyen said:
Do you mean the main relay? The one under the dash right? I had mine replaced on my old coupe, then I pulled it out when it was totaled. It did fix my cold morning starts. The noise you hear is probably the relay, listen closely near the hood release, that's where the relay is located. At any rate, I'm selling my Main relay, only 3 months of operation, let me know if any one's interested. --=Keith
Actually, it was the start cut relay that was defective. It's the really for the starter kill, if it's defective, it activates the oem starter kill when you try to start the car. It has nothing to do with cold or warn morning starts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
White,

My guy is quoting me 1/2 hour time and approximately $50 for the part. Thanks for troubleshooting mine and saving me so much money. :D

Bob

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
OIC, well some peole have weird start problems that are kinda weather dependent. Weird huh? --=Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts