Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a custom subwoofer behind my arm rest!



I had these parts laying around so I thought I would give it a try, it sounds even better than I expected!!!



Best yet is is a Kicker Free Air sub so no loss of trunk space!!!
Just got a few minor finishing touches (paint on the dull areas) and it ready to roll!!!

-Ben
 

·
I'van der Rohe
Joined
·
12,803 Posts
i want to hide mine like GudFut did. oh sorry it's just FUT now. hey FUT if you read this can yo post som of you pics again i love the way the 15s are hidden.



one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
hey i wondering what is that yellow box and says on it KA


what is that is it a factory amp or what ?

ThanX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
DJPolak said:
hey i wondering what is that yellow box and says on it KA

what is that is it a factory amp or what ?

ThanX
No, that's the ABS computer, the factory amp should be on the opposite side, right side of that sub. I guess Hebrinc took it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I am sooooo gonna copy you!!! I know that must sound LIVE!!!! How much was that sub? Also, what kind of speakers do you have in the rear and front? :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

I have some kenwoods in the rear and some decent 6 inches in the front, I cut out the factory amp and wired the bose head directly to rca plugs and plugged them into a sony xplod amp for the 4 speakers the sub is a Kicker Free air that was used it is run by a cheap amp I have had for 5 or so years.

The wood it is mounted to is rather small but the rear seat seals the front of the sub from the rear which is all you have to do for a free air setup.

Fut's does kick @ss dual 15's free air, but I like to see my sub peeking at me in the back seat!!

Thanks Guys,
-Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
is the factory amp is only in bose systems ?

one of your have a xplod amps i got those too 4 ch. and for soem reason thay got hot so fast i just hook my system up and like after 5 min thay get so hot is any one know what is goign on ?

thanX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
DJPolak said:
is the factory amp is only in bose systems ?

one of your have a xplod amps i got those too 4 ch. and for soem reason thay got hot so fast i just hook my system up and like after 5 min thay get so hot is any one know what is goign on ?

thanX
You have a LS? Only the LS/GS systems came with the separate amp behind the rear seat.

Now if you have an LS, your speakers are rated at 1-2ohms, your sony amp is rated for 4ohms. If you run 1-2ohms speakers to 4 ohm amps, you are doubling the load on your amp, therefore overheating it. In the LS, if you want the amp gone, you gotta get rid of the speakers too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
will factory amp mess my speakers up?

i still have the 2 factory 6x9's in the back, but have a pair of audiobahn components up front and have a cd player and never took out the factory amp, will it mess up my components?
 

·
502MotorSports.com
Joined
·
9,296 Posts
DJPolak said:
is the factory amp is only in bose systems ?

one of your have a xplod amps i got those too 4 ch. and for soem reason thay got hot so fast i just hook my system up and like after 5 min thay get so hot is any one know what is goign on ?

thanX
1 - have you provided adequate ventilation?
2 - have you supplied adequate power, and not choking the amp? - i.e. 4 gauge or 8 gauge and NOT 22 gauge wire?
 

·
502MotorSports.com
Joined
·
9,296 Posts
Re: will factory amp mess my speakers up?

Pacs legend said:
i still have the 2 factory 6x9's in the back, but have a pair of audiobahn components up front and have a cd player and never took out the factory amp, will it mess up my components?
no, unless you play it into distortion..that is true with any speakers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
how do you deal with pressure?

if u have it hide on the armrest, so you have to open your armrest everytime you play your music, right? if yes, that will be troublesome to open and close your armrest each time you park your car. if no, how do you deal with the pressure that come out from the woofer ? the air must go somewhere because if not, it will bounce back to the woofer and will make the woofer wear out at an earlier time than what it supposed to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: how do you deal with pressure?

gAmEs0n said:
if u have it hide on the armrest, so you have to open your armrest everytime you play your music, right? if yes, that will be troublesome to open and close your armrest each time you park your car. if no, how do you deal with the pressure that come out from the woofer ? the air must go somewhere because if not, it will bounce back to the woofer and will make the woofer wear out at an earlier time than what it supposed to be.
Well, if you put the armrest up it is a completely stealth install... And the sub was used anyway so some day if I have to buy a new one thats no big deal.

I will leave it down unless parked in a big parking lot I think, I live am in the minneapolis area somewhat often but I live in western wisconsin where it is a pretty safe area so I'm not really worried about theft.

The sub is inset about 2-3 inches so I guess with the arm rest up it kinda makes it a bandpass box which shouldn't kill it as far as I know.

-Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.

No, I just took out the seat and removed the cover behind the armrest. it was then just a hole passing through to the trunk. Technically anyone with subs in their trunk could do this to port the bass into the cabin.

-Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Good job Ben, if the kicker is not satisfying your bass want/need, try JL. At Mobile Audio we did an Accord with two free air JL 12w3's all I can say is....is...is....nothing because I can't hear anymore!! :D
 

·
GS Hog
Joined
·
7,026 Posts
Re: Re: how do you deal with pressure?

Ben Hedrington said:

Well, if you put the armrest up it is a completely stealth install... And the sub was used anyway so some day if I have to buy a new one thats no big deal.

I will leave it down unless parked in a big parking lot I think, I live am in the minneapolis area somewhat often but I live in western wisconsin where it is a pretty safe area so I'm not really worried about theft.

The sub is inset about 2-3 inches so I guess with the arm rest up it kinda makes it a bandpass box which shouldn't kill it as far as I know.

-Ben
One thing you could do to stealth it with the arm rest down is to use matching colored speaker grille cloth behind the arm rest (where the lining used to be). This will make it look almost stock while still allowing the subs passage.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top