Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well... Friday night I finally took my 6 speed to the track. It was an interesting night.

I got into the staging lanes and there was this new mustang GT infront of me. I am standing beside the coupe checking out this Type R behind me. Then this smokin' blonde chick comes out of the mustang and comes up to me and says "so what does that thing run?". I was like "I dunno, this is my first time tonight with this one."

Then I recognized her...... it was the service girl from the local Acura dealership! I was like "*** are you doing driving a mustang?!"

She said she just sold her GSR, and she hates the mustang. She says she has already gone through 2 engines in 4 months (I called BS). So I was chattin her up a bit, and then she started creamin on the 6 speed. I was like "you wanna race?"

She said "sure... just so I can tell the boys at the dealership that I spanked a 6 speed!"

So off we went.... my first run with the 6 speed. I screwed my launch, and bounced for a few feet, and then finally started to drive. Here are my times for the first run: Get ready to laugh :D

TCS off

RT-1.019
60'-2.593
330-7.120
1/8- 10.84
MPH- 65.5

1/4 16.723 @ 83.67 mph

Mustang was 15.3 @ 91mph

2nd run vs. Jimmy with a bored out 350 (383CI) TCS ON!

RT-.709
60'-2.833
330-7.523
1/8-11.244
MPH- 66.25
1/4- 17.145 @83.39 Lost that one (he was 16.6)

3rd run vs same Jimmy with the TCS off this time

RT- .513
60'-2.593
330-7.075
1/8-10.776
MPH-66
1000-13.967
1/4-16.655 @ 83.17MPH ( he was 17.2)

4th run vs some trash screaming chicken firebird with TCS off

RT-.754
60'2.549
330-7.032
1/8-10.730
MPH-65.95
1000-13.918
1/4-16.611 @ 82.88 MPH (he was 15.6)

PRETTY SAD EH?:rolleyes:

The night was hot and we are at an elevation too..... but whats even sadder, my type 1 auto with a blown head gasket managed to do 16.6 in the same 1/4 mile!

For you guys reading this who go to the track, what do you have to say about the numbers. I am sure a good launch would help too.... tires screeching all the way through first.

I was getting mad repect though from the car enthusiats there though. They were impressed even at those times for a stock acura.

The worst part of the night was I did not even get to pick up the chick that worked for Acura!..... oh well.... I will bug her for a good deal the next time my coupe goes through there. I figure we can shoo the $hit over an oil change and go for a date at the races.

Feedback is welcomed.....:)

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Well, the trap speed in the low 80 MPH range is pretty sad :) Even the automatic truns traps in the low 90s.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
eewwww i would recomend more practice those speeds are horible and a 1.0 R/T isnt to good :). Im not ragging on your or anything drag racing is a hard thing to do.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
leave TCS off
bring launch RPM down (2500 or less...might have to play around with it depending on weather)
leave on third yellow
leave the gas pedal buried while shifting
shift fast

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eventhough RT does not effect your 1/4 mile time, the 1+ RT was sad. I almost had a .500 though.....

I think my shifts were too slow as well. I am realizing now that you dont have to push the clutch in all the way to get it into gear, so I am sure that would help as well.

Ricdogg.... My buddies uncle who also raced that night with a beautiful 4spd roadrunner (383- mid 14's), also suggested keeping the gas buried while shifting. But I dont understand that though. If you bring it to red line, press the clutch in and keeep the gas on, you will be way over redline by the time you get back into gear wont you?? I understand the theory behind it, but dont understand how you wont bounce off the rev limiter.

My launches were also around 2500-3000 rpm. Every one of my launches except the one were I did not turn the TCS off were tires squeeling.

Question..... should I ride out the gears to redline, or shift at 6000k mark to to get through the gears better? Also, at the end of the 1/4 mile I am at the top of 3rd.... should I have shifted to 4th?

Thanx for the input...:)

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Mckenzie93 said:
Eventhough RT does not effect your 1/4 mile time, the 1+ RT was sad. I almost had a .500 though.....

I think my shifts were too slow as well. I am realizing now that you dont have to push the clutch in all the way to get it into gear, so I am sure that would help as well.

Ricdogg.... My buddies uncle who also raced that night with a beautiful 4spd roadrunner (383- mid 14's), also suggested keeping the gas buried while shifting. But I dont understand that though. If you bring it to red line, press the clutch in and keeep the gas on, you will be way over redline by the time you get back into gear wont you?? I understand the theory behind it, but dont understand how you wont bounce off the rev limiter.

My launches were also around 2500-3000 rpm. Every one of my launches except the one were I did not turn the TCS off were tires squeeling.

Question..... should I ride out the gears to redline, or shift at 6000k mark to to get through the gears better? Also, at the end of the 1/4 mile I am at the top of 3rd.... should I have shifted to 4th?

Thanx for the input...:)
In theory you'd think youd be bouncing off the limiter. but in actuality, unless you misshift, you wont rev that fast.
I'm not positive what the redline is in the type2, but when i was training myself to keep the pedal floored, i shifted 200 RPM before redline.(500 before cutoff) It took me a while to remember to switch shifting styles but after about 10 runs it was second nature.

As far as winding the gears out...what works on my g1 was shifitng @ redline 1-2, 2-3 & shifting 200 before redline on the 3-4 shift. My reason for shifting into 4th earlier was because if i held it to redline, id be crossing the beams in neutral. also winding 3rd out to past redline was giving slower times then it does when shifting the way i do now...again, your car might work a little different

As far as launching goes...since you are pretty low in launching to begin with...all i can reccommend is throttle modulation. you dont want to launch below 2300 so if you feel tires spinning..back off to 1/2 & then floor it again.....practice makes perfect :)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RICDOGG said:

In theory you'd think youd be bouncing off the limiter. but in actuality, unless you misshift, you wont rev that fast.
I'm not positive what the redline is in the type2, but when i was training myself to keep the pedal floored, i shifted 200 RPM before redline.(500 before cutoff) It took me a while to remember to switch shifting styles but after about 10 runs it was second nature.

As far as winding the gears out...what works on my g1 was shifitng @ redline 1-2, 2-3 & shifting 200 before redline on the 3-4 shift. My reason for shifting into 4th earlier was because if i held it to redline, id be crossing the beams in neutral. also winding 3rd out to past redline was giving slower times then it does when shifting the way i do now...again, your car might work a little different

As far as launching goes...since you are pretty low in launching to begin with...all i can reccommend is throttle modulation. you dont want to launch below 2300 so if you feel tires spinning..back off to 1/2 & then floor it again.....practice makes perfect :)
Thanx for the advice man.....

AS for practice makes perfect.... practice also burns clutches:D.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
from my experience you should learn to feather the clutch on a launch, its especially easy on a stocker. then power shift(shift to 2nd, 3rd,4th with out taking your foot off the gas.)

the 2.5-2.8 60 ft is where im stunned, i run low 2.4 w/o nos with my auto in 100 degree weather. I think practice is defenetly in order, along with some serious Matinece, oil change, Clutch,head gasket and some mods.

I wish i had that 6spd-i wish i could rev to 2500 or 3000 on my auto, id be running low 13's.

how many miles do u have?
how do u know you blown your head gasket?
any mods?

~Hybrid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts