Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last Saturday night around 11:30-12:00 I was driving to Northern Parkway where everyone meets on Saturday night. As I was driving up Northern Parkway I noticed that the police had a couple cars pulled over and that the pattywagon was also there. I drove up to the entrance only to find that another police officer had it blocked off so I made a U-turn and started making my way to 695 so that I could see if anyone was at route 70 ( the park and ride area ) where everyone goes when the police chase us out of the parkinglot on Northern Parkway. As I'm driving back down Northern Parkway making my way back to Liberty Road I notice a white Maxima. It has a set of 18 inch rims and tires on it and an exhaust and possibly an intake. I say to myself nice car. Now I'm driving up Liberty Road and I finally reach the on ramp leading to 695 as I come off the ramp in 2nd gear I floor it and the Maxima follows suit. He is behind me and seems to be gaining some ground so I shift into 3rd and my coupe starts pulling. As I start to shift into 4th he is nearing my driver side door but, he has to brake because a car pulls in front of him. I am now in 4th and my tach is heading for the red zone and my speedometer is still climbing. Now the Maxima is behind me and my coupe is doing 120-125. I'm about to shift up into 5th but, a car jumps in front of me and I have to hit the brakes. The Maxima pulls into the left lane and goes by me ( of course you guys know I am pissed of at this point ). After I get around the a-whole that just cut me off I fly pass the maxima and onto the ramp leading to route 70. I'm hitting gears and I don't let up on my speed for a second ( this car never seems to dissapoint me ). I'm hitting corners my tires never squeal as my speedo climbs towards 70 m.p.h. when we get to route 70 everyone starts to roll-out to another location and I say to myself its time for me to go home because, I'm not gonna spend all night moving from one location to the next whenever the police show up. As for my run with the maxima, I can't say I beat him since I had to brake for the a-whole that jumped in front of me but, before that the maxima was in my rear view mirror. Oh and one more thing in case you were not paying attention as read this I NEVER CAME OUT OF 4TH GEAR. Don't get me wrong I think the maxima is a very competent car but, If I told you guys once I've told you a thousand times. Never sleep on a Legend. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
dang it biggs, leave those poor under- cars alone... cant you find another legend to run against so it'll be fair... :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bukowski=Legend said:
dang it biggs, leave those poor under- cars alone... cant you find another legend to run against so it'll be fair... :D
Good job.
I wouldn't call the Maxima an under-car though. a 4th or 5th gen Max will usually take a Legend depending on driver skill etc. Performance-wise, the same year Maxima and Legend are pretty close unless we count the 6 speed :D .

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Eric F said:

Good job.
I wouldn't call the Maxima an under-car though. a 4th or 5th gen Max will usually take a Legend depending on driver skill etc. Performance-wise, the same year Maxima and Legend are pretty close unless we count the 6 speed :D .
I got schooled REALLY REALLY bad by a Maxima when I had my G1.
It was a rolling start too so I thought I had a chance.
Not a bat's chance in hell.
;(

·
Registered
583 Posts
Jose, same year as your G1?

The sub car remark was stated due to the fact that the maxima has always been a wanna be Legend in my book, but that's just my op.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Bukowski=Legend said:
Jose, same year as your G1?

The sub car remark was stated due to the fact that the maxima has always been a wanna be Legend in my book, but that's just my op.
No no no, this Maxima was like a 96-97 Maxima.
I got BEAT UP BAD.:(

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The maxima seemed to be a 95-98 model. I wouldn't call them bad cars at all. Before I purchased my G1 I was thinking about buying a maxima but, I am very glad I have my G1. EEKDAFATCAT, I love your tags. Good looking out playa. As for a grudge match I don't think that will happen. Anyways I wouldn't want one because then I would be concentrating on winning alone and for me its all about having fun and before the car jumped in front of me I was winning. Hey Jose is your G1 a 5 speed or an automatic? I think all manual Acura have longer legs than the automatics because of the extra gear.:D

·
Registered
658 Posts
My family has had 2 fourth gen maximas (97 and 96) and I must say, that VQ engine is incredible. It sounds really whimpy compared to a Legend V6, though. THe numbers on the Maximas are impressive.
Automatic 1995 Max: 0-60 in 7.6
5 speed 1995 Max: 0-60 in 6.6

Those are impressive numbers for a "family car". I need to figure out how to make my Legend pull 60 in 7.6.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My cousin has a '97 SE auto Max. I've never raced him form a stop. Once we raced from about a 30 mph roll, and he pulled ahead slightly.
I raced a '00 from a stoplight. At the end of 2nd gear, my front bumper was at his back door. I thought it would beat me by more than that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My brother Dante used to own a 97 Maxima and when he and another brother of mine were going to Hagerstown during the Christmas season. I tore his maxima a new a#@hole. The most he could get his maxima to do was 115 I'm in my G1 hitting 120+ and still climbing. When we got to Hagerstown all he could talk about was how nimble my G1 is and that he couldn't catch up. Peace and Blessing. Bigs out.:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I hate maximas ever since I raced one I got dusted. Even though my whip is stock that $h!t hurt my feelings. I've dusted many of whips down northernparkway (kinda like race wars). You should check out my stomping grounds though. Perring parkway is where you can get your dirtys off ( after the woodbourne light). If your legend is Hot You should have them other dumb @ss cars by blocks soon as you hit northern High school. B-more legends get down it's always ak races going on. On some chill $h!t hit druid hill park on sundays in the summer. Rich dudes with suped up imports be chillen on richie highway or near J and J custom auto world. Hollar at me son this is your B-more connect. Where can I get some off the wall performance in B-more for the best price for my ak. Everything is stock except my sound system. I feel it is time get at me

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Mr. Bigs said:
Hey Jose is your G1 a 5 speed or an automatic? I think all manual Acura have longer legs than the automatics because of the extra gear.:D
My G1 was an automatic.

Ok, so maybe i didnt get DUSTED that bad, I just thought I'd PULL AWAY from him at like 80-90, and I didnt.

He was just a car length ahead the whole time.
He never pulled further than that.
I guess I must feel proud that my car was that close.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HEY 5SPEED4DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome son. Today in performance class 101 you will learn what and what not to use when modifying your Legend. Lesson #1 you are gonna need an intake and an exhaust. You can purchase the intake from www.weapon-r.com they have a dragon filter intake system that I use on my G1 coupe. You can purchase a Remus exhaust for your G2 sedan, I saw the exhaust Dave C has on his G2 sedan and it is PHAT plus the new intake and exhaust system is gonna give you added horsepower and torque. You can also purchase a Bayou performance stage II chip for the G2 it also gives you added horsepower and torque. Next on the list is an ignition amplifier and performance coil you can go with a Crane Cam system or MSD system, it ampifies the spark so that the car burn more of the fuel at all points of the rev range, it also improves gas mileage, starting, gives a hotter spark and it improves the cars performance. Get a set of Ground-control springs and Bilstein struts at all 4 corners. The Ground-Control springs will allow you to adjust the height of your car while the Bilstein heavy duty struts are self adjusting and this set-up is gonna improve excelleration, braking, cornering and the looks of your ride. I would also add a set of 18x7.5 inch rims with some 225-40zr18 inch tires for a wider tread pattern this also places more of the tire on the road for better traction at all speeds. As for the brakes purchase a set of Cross drilled and slotted rotors and carbon fiber pads front and rear along with steel braided brake lines and ATE high performance brake fluid to give you EXTREMELY better braking. You can go to www.nopionline.com to get alot of these things I am telling you about. If you need more help one of us members will gladly help you out. Since you live in the city and I live in Woodlawn maybe we can meet up somewhere or maybe I'll see you at Northernparkway. When you are shifting your G2, NEVER shift into the next gear until you tachometer reaches 6000 rpms. I have found that this is the best point to shift when running my G1 flat-out. The horsepower and torque are always in their sweet spot when shifting at 6000 rpms. As for the maximas let me know what you are doing maybe I can figure something out also I hope you don't have alot of heavy stereo equipment in the trunk that will slow you down. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DRAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this will help some of you guys out. When you are on a high speed run ( thats longer than a 1/4 mile ) try drafting behind the car you are running with. This is how it works. Get behind the car you are running with and let him run his car flat out. Since you are behind him you get caught up in his air stream thus your car doesn't have to fight the wind. Just when he thinks he has you or when you get tired of looking at his taillights drop down a gear and fly right by him. Ducking into another cars air stream allows you to keep power in reserve because their is less air turbulence going around the second car thus giving you power in reserve ( two cars can go faster than one ). Once you slip out of his air stream you should be able to go right by him and since his car should already be at max speed he may not be able to catch you. IN ORDER TO DO THIS. YOU MUST KNOW THE OTHER GUYS DRIVING SKILLZ AND YOU CAN NOT FOLLOW TOO CLOSE TO THE OTHER CAR WE WOULDN'T WANT AN ACCIDENT NOW WOULD WE. LAST BUT NOT LEAST YOU TOO SHOULD HAVE SOME DRIVING SKILLZ. Hey Jose your problem was you had an automatic. My next question is were you in the S mode or were you in DRIVE. Of course you know the S mode allows you to down shift at the click of a button and learning how to draft another car when you have an automatic would certainly prove helpful in an all out run. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:D

·
Registered
867 Posts
hey speaking of maximas, I just got back from a 3 day trip from rhode Island with my gf in her 95 maxima -190 horses

man can it go, i had no problem whatsoever passing any one on the highway. doing 80+ on the interstate
I know for a fact that my 89 coupe cant stand a chance against this car. Talking only of Auto. VS Auto. transmissions.
I remember a time when off the line this really hooked up accord tried beating me in her car, he had all the mods and his was a stick. I never beat any one worse than that accord.....it was great!
Only a 5 - speed can keep up if not beat the maxima
when its stick on stick, the maxima will prevail
but even with that power, i missed driving my car. The handing wasnt all that great and I almost ran into other cars while switching lanes at high speeds.
To me, the legend has better suspension and better handling
Driving experience goes definitely to the legend in my opinion

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Lately I have been racing my six speed against my friends 89 maxima, with exhaust..... Its so funny how he actaully thinks he has a chnace, but I waste him everytime to show him what the legend is made of:D It seems to go pretty good, but lacks the hp numbers for keeping pace with the legend...

·
Registered
867 Posts
the 89 is rated the same as the g1 legend - 160 horses

92 - 94 only the SE models have 190 horses while the regular models still have 160
95 - 99 all have 190 horses

racing against that year maxima is like picking on a g1, a horrible version of a g1 (maxima)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts