Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I used to own a 94 legend sedan. I loved it and then I totaled it. My parents (im 17) got around 14500 for the car. They then made me get a temparary car which is now a 89 Legend coupe. It has 135K on it and now the tranny is poping out of second all the time. Also the clutch is a little worn. I spent 5K on that car. Now I am almost at the point where my parents will lett me get a new car (94-95 LS coupe). What I want to know is what should i do about the tranny and clutch? Should I just sell it as is or get a whole new tranny and clutch? We bought the damn thing to save insurance money but we ended up loosing money in the long run. Thanks for your help.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Your clutch is your tranny- the reason your car is slipping out of gear is b/c it's time for a new clutch. If u like the car just change the clutch- a OEM will run about $260 (or less at the agusta dealership). and the labor can between between- $300- $500 (atleast around where I live- NY)
Change the clutch as soon as possible b/c it sounds like it's on its last leg. If you don't it will cost more.

good luck
esti

·
Registered
386 Posts
TRANNY PROBLEMS$$$$$$$$$

Well if I were you and I was going to get a 94-95 LS Legend Coupe real real soon I would hold off on getting the tranny fixed. I mean you are going to get rid of the car anyway keep the money and put some mods on your new Legend. The only other thing I would do is not drive your 89 coupe so much since its on its last leg. I wouldn't want you to get stranded somewhere.:confused:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch

I am not so sure it is poping out of gear because on the clutch. Why would it just be second gear? I mean it would be great if I just had to replace the clutch. Its really not that bad but When at high rpms when i change gears the rpms slowley go down. Also I need to sell the car for money to get the 2nd gen.

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
I have the exact same problem with second gear and my clutch seems fine, I don't think it is related to the clutch. I think something in second gear is worn out. Mine doesn't pop out if I'm accelerating, only whne I coast in second. I almost always just shift 1 to 3 now. I don't think I'm going to get it fixed because it's just not worth expensive tranny work and the car is still very driveable for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not the clutch

Your clutch will not pop you out of gear... The only purpose of a clutch is to disengage the power from turning the transmission until you can shift gears. Your problem is with the second gear shift fork is worn and needs to be replaced. The transmission will not leave you stranded, but if it gets worse, you will also start to pop out of first gear as they use the same fork. Ask around at tranny shop to find out prices on replacing the fork (rebuilding the transmission basically) and make your decision based on that info.

A worn clutch will make your engine rev and you will not accelerate as quickly as you should, or it could just blow up at 7000 rpm like mine did (1976 Ford Capri) !!

Good luck:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have read your other replys, my only question is, is your car a manual or automatic?, because I have never heard of a manual vehicle that slips out of gear. Sounds to me like their is a missing linkage in the gearbox.

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
Yngwie said:
I have read your other replys, my only question is, is your car a manual or automatic?, because I have never heard of a manual vehicle that slips out of gear. Sounds to me like their is a missing linkage in the gearbox.
This thread is from three years ago buddy... Some of the original posters don't even own Legends anymore :). And for the record, yes manuals can pop out of gear. A good fix for the second gear popping out is a small 2x4 that can be wedged between the console and the shifter :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts