Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remounted my amp from the floor of the trunk to the top of my box (so I can utlize more trunk space). Now, that I got everything hooked up, it doesn't bump in the cabin and it sounds very distorted. Feels like I'm pushing too much power or or something. My trunk lid don't rattle even and the subs look like they're pushing really hard. What do you guys think might be the problem???

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds to me like you lost the seal on the box. I don't know how you mounted that amp on there, but if you somehow put a leak in the sealed enclosure that would cause problems like the ones you're having. Here's a quick ghetto way to test my theory... If you have two subs and the enlosure isn't seperated, just push one sub in (which should make the other sub come out) and hold it. If there's a leak in the box, the sub you're not holding will go back in by itself as air leaves the enclosure. Give it a shot. Some travel is normal, but if it goes all the way back in, you've got yourself a leak.

-GR

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, this sh!t weird. I got my box changed. OK, that's part 1. It got better. Still sounded like sh!t. Now, just experementing, with 2 subs, it sounds like crap, but when I remove one of the channals on my RCA's, it sounds great with the volume of 2 subs out of 1. with both RCA plugs in, it sounds like compleate crap. Maybe part 2 is my amp??? My amp is a Power Acustic 600w amp. Subs are Rockford Fosgate Punch.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I check the rca's. They're good. I'm just gonna run the single sub until I can sell em and get a set of Alpine Type R subs. What do you mean "in phase"? I also wanna know how do I run either 2 ohm or 4 ohm load.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
C25A1guy said:
Yea, I check the rca's. They're good. I'm just gonna run the single sub until I can sell em and get a set of Alpine Type R subs. What do you mean "in phase"? I also wanna know how do I run either 2 ohm or 4 ohm load.
when I say "in phase", I am referring to is each sub wired +/+ and -/-.

In other words, do you have the red striped wire (for example), going to the positive (+) terminal on your amplifier? If so, are BOTH speakers (left and right) wired this way?

[Colors are only a reference]

Channel 1
| + | --------------- {}
AMP Speaker (+) (RED/TAN WIRE, Channel 1)

| - | ---------------- {}
AMP Speaker (-) (BLACK/TAN WIRE, Channel 1)

Channel 2
| + | --------------- {}
AMP Speaker (+) (RED/TAN WIRE, Channel 2)

| - | ---------------- {}
AMP Speaker (-) (BLACK/TAN WIRE, Channel 2)

As far as bridging your speakers, this will not solve your problem, especially if the speakers are out of phase. when a speaker is out of phase in a pair, the one speaker going in while the other one goes out CANCELS the sound waves known as bass...your lower frequencies. This, however, is a way to make your interior speakers give you a "concert sound" if used in conjunction with subs/separate or same amps. You can get a x-over that has reverse phase switch on there for an example...what this does is makes the bass hit opposite the mids/highs..try it, or wire them out of phase with your subs.

Subs - Phase 1
Mids/Highs - Phase 2

·
Registered
103 Posts
Leon is right your have one of your subs wired backwards. I've done it before and it sounds like crap! Your subs are cancelling each other out so all you get is horrible sound! Just check your connections good and follow leons post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.