Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I went to chitown this past mon and tues, and i must say that it has changed me. i'm not talking about the city, but just going there alone and being alone for just two days. it made me go insane! but back to the city.... well, it's SOO much more different than LA downtown. not really "my" kinda town, but probably it's b/c i'm not used to it. the weather there is brutal! not to mention the roads and people driving! I feel sad for you guys out there. :( people there are maniacs! they don't go that fast, yet they seem more aggressive than LA drivers. go figure? as for weather... ouch. poor legends. i feel for you guys, now i rather have fading paint than corrosion under the car. overall, it was a great experience travelling on my own and seeing another place. I did enjoy walking along lake michigan... gave me a "tranquil" feeling. hahhaa. anyhow, now i just get to sit back and wait to get accepted/rejected from the grad school... :eek: hehe

to EK... where do you like it better? LA or Chicago? I still like LA cuz of the weather and everything else. but you've been there for awile, so have you "acclimated" to the new surroundings?

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
The midwest sucks when it comes to weather.

As to LA vs Chicago, put it this way:
I applied to 22 hospital programs for residency training (what you have to do after med school). 21 are in LA. 1 at UCSF.

My Accord is holding up well in the midwest. Good thing the Legend doesn't have to deal with this crap weather.

I think people in IL drive slower than in CA. People in WI drive pretty fast though.

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EK: yea.. i hear you. likewise with my bro when he's done with his 4 years on NY. not like the bronx is any better. hehe. good luck with your residency. have you had any interviews yet?
do you think it's worth going into grad school for health profession? the debt just scares the crap outta me even tho the default rate is practically zero. i guess it's just the fact that you know you owe $160,000 after 4 years and have to pay it off in the next 10-15 years. i'm pretty sure you have lots of loans, huh? cuz my bro will probably have $200,000+ to pay off afterwards. is it really THAT worth it? i don't know... just the cost is making me think twice. what do you think?

Living Legend: no med school for me. just optometry. :D

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
Residency interviews are done. I interviewed at a lot of good programs: UCLA, UCI, Kaiser OC, Kaiser Woodland Hills, Kaiser Fontana, Northridge, Long Beach....

Here is the deal with tuition. It's way too high. Period. Only go for it if you can get some deal. Otherwise, go to MBA or lawschool and come out, make $$, and not deal with residency (150 hr/wk for $30K a year).

My tuition (since I'm out of state) at the University of Illinois is $40,000 a year. Not including living expenses. But I'm in a combined degree program. I'm getting an MBA in addition to the MD when I come out (in 2 months:) ). By being in the program, I get my tuition waived. Tuition = $500 a semester for me now, I still have to pay the fees. But I come out with no loans. In order to get the tuition waived, I have to work on campus though. I work in a computer lab. I'm at work right now. It's not bad at all. I get my legend forums surfing done.:) Plus I get $600 a month = money for the Legend and Accord.

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EK

WOWOWWOW... that is sweet! but i dont' think they offer something like that. i know you can get an OD/Masters or OD/PhD, but not sure about OD/MBA. I don't think they even offere it at my bro's med school. i think he's just doing MD. then again, most of the optometry schools are private except for berkeley and... others? so i think i'm not as lucky as to waive the $160,000+ as you are doing. thanks for the info tho. congrats on your "stuff"! hehe. any tips for step 1? my bro is gonna be taking them this spring.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
STEP I = a royal pain. 7 hours of testing, 350 MC questions. I f-ed that thing up. Barely passed. Just tell your brother to study and memorize a lot.

I recently took Step II. 8 hours of testing, 400 MC questions. I did better this time (tried not to get distracted by the Legend and Wolfenstein). Got above average. Again, memorize a bunch of crap.

JJJ: You don't have to do a residency for optometry, right? Do you know where you are going for school next year?

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope. no residency for optometry. 3 years of school crap and boards, then the 4th year is basically rotations. take another board, and state exam as to where i want to practice. as for next year.... craaaaaap. still unsure. ucla is being a biatch to me and this and that. one counselor tells me this, another tells me that. hopefully i'm outties by summer, if not.... then gonna chill, more classes, work, or whatever till i reapply? but we'll see. man, i am such a mess. although... i did stick in my avatar. you like? hahahahaa.

anyhow, enjoy wolfenstein 3d! hehe.. :eek: :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts