Acura Legend Forum banner

21 - 40 of 177 Posts

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
:werd:

I may have to do the bid for that one. NALM at the North Pole. Photoshoot at Santa's house, cruise down the Alcan, dodge some moose and elk along the way. Sounds like a blast to me ;).
Let's just hope there's no contact. With your track record, I don't know if I'd go tempting fate too much! ;)

Ken - Dallas shouldn't be in the running since it hosted the first one and we have so much more of the country to explore!

2,721 Posts
With all of the talk about where it should/could be, in reality, it all depends upon the bids submitted. If Dallas were to submit the only bid, Dallas gets it. If a second city were to also submit a bid equally as good as that Dallas bid, the tie breaker would go to the city who has not had an NALM. If that second city's bid is not as good as the Dallas bid, then Dallas is still in the running. Make sense?

·
acura-legend.commie
2,498 Posts
well, i submitted a southern california bid last year, unfortunately, i only had a week to work on it. this weekend ill talk to some of the so cal gang and see what we can put together.

make the damn thing almost a week long, make the trip worth it.

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
well, i submitted a southern california bid last year, unfortunately, i only had a week to work on it. this weekend ill talk to some of the so cal gang and see what we can put together.

Dates and length are entirely up to the bidding party. We had Thursday through Monday planned this year and I actually left Sunday evening late. I would say that I was completely satisfied as well, but depending on how many events you want to pack into it, that may not be enough time.

2,721 Posts

Using your '08 submission as an example, the Chattanooga bid had two things that ultimately made their bid more desirable - an organized team, and that part of the country had not yet had a NALM. Their bid was also slightly more detailed (maybe because they had more time to prepare), but that was far outweighed by the first to advantages. We can't wait to see what you have in store for '09!

·
NALM '20 Seattle dreaming
2,246 Posts
ya know? I'm going to buck up to the bar and call bull$hit. I'm too lazy to go back and read the thread submitting for '08 NALM but I *thought* the idea was to establish a location for '08 and then the locations would switch back and forth between somewhere Eastern and then back to somewhere Western.

WTF is up with these "bids?"

When was it ever established that the location would be per a winning bid?

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
ya know? I'm going to buck up to the bar and call bull$hit. I'm too lazy to go back and read the thread submitting for '08 NALM but I *thought* the idea was to establish a location for '08 and then the locations would switch back and forth between somewhere Eastern and then back to somewhere Western.

last year when east one and noone from the east stepped up and made a bid. it was open to the whole country bids.

now its been decided to skip the bs coast selection and just go straight to the bids as it makes more sense. hey, its how the Olympics are done, it works for them. if only we can do planning 2 years in advance.

the process makes total sense to me. :dunno:

·
2,246 Posts
last year when east one and noone from the east stepped up and made a bid. it was open to the whole country bids.
I guess that would tell me that the east wasn't too terribly worried about having NALM then.

now its been decided to skip the bs coast selection and just go straight to the bids as it makes more sense. hey, its how the Olympics are done, it works for them. if only we can do planning 2 years in advance.

the process makes total sense to me. :dunno:
"Its been decided..." by whom? :bowdown:

I understand that I've only been registered on the forum for about 18 months, but I don't ever remember any "A-L.com board of directors" announced or voted upon.

I've run an online fan community for over 11 years now, and its always been my attempt to INCLUDE as many people as possible at our get togethers.

even years -- East coast'ers can submit bids and the best bid wins, odd years -- West coast submits bids and the best bid wins....

seems to me that would be the best and most fair way to include the majority of the lower 48 states. :hide:

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
yes, we have a nalm committee. it was formed from the few ppl who have attended all of the past 5 (or 6 is now?) nalm meets.

in the past the event had issues with getting it done right. vegas seemed to be VERY succesfull, this years meet, althou it suffered from issues from past meets, we know why.

The committee is tehre to ensure the event coordination and planing is done right. this year had great success again (even with our troubles). The committee is for the best of this event. its the only way we'll ever get any kind of recognition from Acura.

Its designed based on the NSX national meet system.

·
2,246 Posts
yes, we have a nalm committee. it was formed from the few ppl who have attended all of the past 5 (or 6 is now?) nalm meets.
so is this committee going to expand? Take in new members? What about those of us that are newer members that just couldn't have made all the NALM meets?

in the past the event had issues with getting it done right. vegas seemed to be VERY succesfull, this years meet, althou it suffered from issues from past meets, we know why.
issues from past meets would be ... ?

The committee is tehre to ensure the event coordination and planing is done right. this year had great success again (even with our troubles). The committee is for the best of this event.
I never questioned the intentions of the committee, just asked where it came from and what criteria was needed to sit on it.

its the only way we'll ever get any kind of recognition from Acura.
what is it "we" are looking to get from Acura? What is it that Acura can recognize us for that will be beneficial to "us?"

I'm not trying to be a dick, just asking some questions is all.

I've done YEARS of work in the online community I'm involved in and if someone were to pay me for the time myself and the others put in I wouldn't be working a regular job anymore !!

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
so is this committee going to expand? Take in new members? What about those of us that are newer members that just couldn't have made all the NALM meets?
idk you'll have to contact the committee member's.

issues from past meets would be ... ?
disorganization. drama. poor follow thru from ground team.

I never questioned the intentions of the committee, just asked where it came from and what criteria was needed to sit on it.
did too \/

what is it "we" are looking to get from Acura? What is it that Acura can recognize us for that will be beneficial to "us?"
sponsership which can let us put on a larger, better funded event.
I'm not trying to be a dick, just asking some questions is all.
doesn't make up for being one.
I've done YEARS of work in the online community I'm involved in and if someone were to pay me for the time myself and the others put in I wouldn't be working a regular job anymore !!
the committee is a group of volunteers.

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
The committee has a base group that has been with the event from the beginning, and as it seems now, they set up minor area coordinators (those who are somewhat familiar or near the are to be temp. committee members aka grounds crew.) The group was agreed upon by those who have helped at several events in the past.

The reason for the set up now of submitting the bid for the whole country is to get everyone involved and try to make the best possible meet for the whole community (trying to get large show attendance and get more goodies.) This whole thing was done on a volunteer basis, so no one gained any coinage from it, maybe brownie points, but thats about it.

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hope you all have time to read all of this, but here goes:

For the first meet in Dallas in 2005, which Lee aka sleeprlegendcp pretty much set up completely, he and I worked together trying to get some sponsors for the event. We approached Honda North America in Torrance California with a pretty good outline of the event, and tried like hell to get them to at least acknowledge us, only to be told that we were too "grass roots" for them. We got the same response from Interstate Battery (who I have a connection to) and the local DFW Acura Dealers Association. Lee pushed for running the 2nd year in Tulsa the same way, but ran into some personal issues and bowed out of the planning, leaving it to Tyler (tnelson) and Phil (rangerjoe) to set up since both of them were fairly local to Tulsa.

At dinner in Tulsa, Dave (searchin4acoupe,) Tyson (4cruizn) and I realized that we were the only 3 to have attended both meets, and figured that we should "help" choose the location of the next meet. Very informal - believe me. We actually just toyed with the idea of trying to put some structure around it to ensure that the event continued. I can't remember who posted it, but there was a regional poll posted, and the West coast won. We then started scouting cities in the West, while trying to stay true to the basic format: cheap & accessible hotel, plenty of attractions, track/auto-x event, drag strip, cruise route, and TONS of picture backdrops. The real reason Vegas was selected was because there was a track day that we could piggy back on with the NSX guys, and Vegas was close enough to draw people from SoCal, NorCal, and there was PLENTY of reasons to drive for it. Tyson and I pretty much planned everything that was scheduled in Vegas for the event, and realized that we spent a TON of our personal time working on something that 1. nobody asked us to do, 2. we weren't getting paid for or any kind of reward aside from the satisfaction of planning a killer meet, and 3. we had no idea if the things we planned would actually work. We knew something needed to change, but we didn't know what. That was where we met Ben (BenL) for the first time, and realized that the NSXCA was set up in a manner that commanded attention from Honda NA, as well as many other big sponsors, and that if we ever wanted to get the nod on sponsorships, we needed to model ourselves after what they do for NSXPO each year. Ben had been one of the early pioneers with the online Legend community, and was also an NSX enthusiast, had attended several NSXPO's and was exposed to much of how that selection process took place. Tyson, Dave and I all agreed that Ben's expertise in this area was a welcome addition to the "committee" and that we all agreed to do our best to keep this event moving forward.

This year was the first time we actually tested the waters with the whole committee thing, and a bid process. Trust me, we all wondered how our own self-declaration as the NALM Committee would come accross, and we probably could have handled it a million different ways, but we simply said "fuck it" and tried to run with the ideas we all shared. We posted the regional poll, the East won, and we got a total of 0 bids. We opened it up to the rest of the country and got a handfull of bids on the last day. Chattanooga won, and we had a killer time working with the ground team in planning the longest, and most involved NALM to date. This one really was a fantastic time.

Each year, more people say they're going to come out, and don't. Each year, several people who show up say they will not miss the next year. Each year, Tyson, Dave, and I laugh and realize that we're still the only ones who've been to more than 1 NALM. I mean, Phil (rangerjoe) was at the Dallas meet for like 30 minutes in his Armada, and then he drove that damn Armada all over the Tulsa meet the next year, but c'mon, it's a LEGEND meet so that really doesn't count!

I know this is getting long, but what I'm really trying to convey, is that we didn't plan on declaring ourselves the deciding authority over the National Meet, it just kind of ended up that way. I know that I would still be involved even if my opinion didn't matter, just because I always have a fantastic time at these events, and it's the one weekend a year that I can really focus on just this fucking car that I dearly love, and my wife knows she can't say shit about it!!!

You want to change the way it's going down, step up and change it. We gladly welcome you and your ideas with open arms. All we're here to do is organize people, and try to plan out the best time for everybody we can based on what has worked, and what has failed in the past.

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
Hope you all have time to read all of this, but here goes:

For the first meet in Dallas in 2005, which Lee aka sleeprlegendcp pretty much set up completely, he and I worked together trying to get some sponsors for the event. We approached Honda North America in Torrance California with a pretty good outline of the event, and tried like hell to get them to at least acknowledge us, only to be told that we were too "grass roots" for them. We got the same response from Interstate Battery (who I have a connection to) and the local DFW Acura Dealers Association. Lee pushed for running the 2nd year in Tulsa the same way, but ran into some personal issues and bowed out of the planning, leaving it to Tyler (tnelson) and Phil (rangerjoe) to set up since both of them were fairly local to Tulsa.

At dinner in Tulsa, Dave (searchin4acoupe,) Tyson (4cruizn) and I realized that we were the only 3 to have attended both meets, and figured that we should "help" choose the location of the next meet. Very informal - believe me. We actually just toyed with the idea of trying to put some structure around it to ensure that the event continued. I can't remember who posted it, but there was a regional poll posted, and the West coast won. We then started scouting cities in the West, while trying to stay true to the basic format: cheap & accessible hotel, plenty of attractions, track/auto-x event, drag strip, cruise route, and TONS of picture backdrops. The real reason Vegas was selected was because there was a track day that we could piggy back on with the NSX guys, and Vegas was close enough to draw people from SoCal, NorCal, and there was PLENTY of reasons to drive for it. Tyson and I pretty much planned everything that was scheduled in Vegas for the event, and realized that we spent a TON of our personal time working on something that 1. nobody asked us to do, 2. we weren't getting paid for or any kind of reward aside from the satisfaction of planning a killer meet, and 3. we had no idea if the things we planned would actually work. We knew something needed to change, but we didn't know what. That was where we met Ben (BenL) for the first time, and realized that the NSXCA was set up in a manner that commanded attention from Honda NA, as well as many other big sponsors, and that if we ever wanted to get the nod on sponsorships, we needed to model ourselves after what they do for NSXPO each year. Ben had been one of the early pioneers with the online Legend community, and was also an NSX enthusiast, had attended several NSXPO's and was exposed to much of how that selection process took place. Tyson, Dave and I all agreed that Ben's expertise in this area was a welcome addition to the "committee" and that we all agreed to do our best to keep this event moving forward.

This year was the first time we actually tested the waters with the whole committee thing, and a bid process. Trust me, we all wondered how our own self-declaration as the NALM Committee would come accross, and we probably could have handled it a million different ways, but we simply said "fuck it" and tried to run with the ideas we all shared. We posted the regional poll, the East won, and we got a total of 0 bids. We opened it up to the rest of the country and got a handfull of bids on the last day. Chattanooga won, and we had a killer time working with the ground team in planning the longest, and most involved NALM to date. This one really was a fantastic time.

Each year, more people say they're going to come out, and don't. Each year, several people who show up say they will not miss the next year. Each year, Tyson, Dave, and I laugh and realize that we're still the only ones who've been to more than 1 NALM. I mean, Phil (rangerjoe) was at the Dallas meet for like 30 minutes in his Armada, and then he drove that damn Armada all over the Tulsa meet the next year, but c'mon, it's a LEGEND meet so that really doesn't count!

I know this is getting long, but what I'm really trying to convey, is that we didn't plan on declaring ourselves the deciding authority over the National Meet, it just kind of ended up that way. I know that I would still be involved even if my opinion didn't matter, just because I always have a fantastic time at these events, and it's the one weekend a year that I can really focus on just this fucking car that I dearly love, and my wife knows she can't say shit about it!!!

You want to change the way it's going down, step up and change it. We gladly welcome you and your ideas with open arms. All we're here to do is organize people, and try to plan out the best time for everybody we can based on what has worked, and what has failed in the past.
This last year definitely commanded respect for NALM and all those involved (i think this year made the community a definite force to be reckoned with) . From all the prizes we had from SR, Brian, Hella, and Adams. Not only that this year had t-shirts to celebrate the event for years to come.

·
2,246 Posts
Tyson and I pretty much planned everything that was scheduled in Vegas for the event, and realized that we spent a TON of our personal time working on something that 1. nobody asked us to do, 2. we weren't getting paid for or any kind of reward aside from the satisfaction of planning a killer meet, and 3. we had no idea if the things we planned would actually work. We knew something needed to change, but we didn't know what.

As someone who has done something like this almost exactly as you describe above I totally understand. The TIME and merchandise (and asking for merchandise/donations) that came out of my own pocket book -- well I don't think I want to ever add it all up. My wife would probably string me up by my balls!

But if you say you want to make it "bigger and better" each year, and learn from your mistakes then you'll want to make is accessible for the majority. (majority being the key word, as I've learned -- you won't be able to please all the people all the time)

After doing "this" (taking an online community and planning annual in person events/contests/prizes/auctions) for over a decade I simply just asked some questions. But I guess thats not allowed, for as you do you become a target for faceless internet degrading.

I'm not trying to change it, take it over, belittle it, but what I am trying to do is ask the right questions to build on the successes, and minimize the failures.

And again -- I never questioned the intentions of the "comittee" I merely questioned who and when and what I thought my understanding of the meets location was going to be.

·
Registered
399 Posts
As someone who has done something like this almost exactly as you describe above I totally understand. The TIME and merchandise (and asking for merchandise/donations) that came out of my own pocket book -- well I don't think I want to ever add it all up. My wife would probably string me up by my balls!

But if you say you want to make it "bigger and better" each year, and learn from your mistakes then you'll want to make is accessible for the majority. (majority being the key word, as I've learned -- you won't be able to please all the people all the time)

After doing "this" (taking an online community and planning annual in person events/contests/prizes/auctions) for over a decade I simply just asked some questions. But I guess thats not allowed, for as you do you become a target for faceless internet degrading.

I'm not trying to change it, take it over, belittle it, but what I am trying to do is ask the right questions to build on the successes, and minimize the failures.

And again -- I never questioned the intentions of the "comittee" I merely questioned who and when and what I thought my understanding of the meets location was going to be.
1.)Truth be told, I'm not sure you could find one person this year (other than an obvious one) that attended the meet that didn't have a great time.

2.) Anyone is more than capable of taking some time to plan a little get together, but that these few guys have acted on their own accord to set up, organize, and pull off an event like this, in my take makes them more than qualified to be the group that puts it all together.

3.) This isn't a democracy. We are simply a community that elects to hold such events. If you want to have you're own meet, no one is stopping any of us. NALM only serves as a National gathering to which all who truly enjoy the camaraderie choose to attend.

4.) As I have mentioned to a few people, the same core group of people will make it a point to attend NALM, no matter where it is. And quite frankly, those are the only ones you can truly count on. (Thus the Committee)

Regards,

Matt

·
Xb*x L*v*: * 40 *u*c* *
2,432 Posts
1.)Truth be told, I'm not sure you could find one person this year (other than an obvious one) that attended the meet that didn't have a great time.

2.) Anyone is more than capable of taking some time to plan a little get together, but that these few guys have acted on their own accord to set up, organize, and pull off an event like this, in my take makes them more than qualified to be the group that puts it all together.

3.) This isn't a democracy. We are simply a community that elects to hold such events. If you want to have you're own meet, no one is stopping any of us. NALM only serves as a National gathering to which all who truly enjoy the camaraderie choose to attend.

4.) As I have mentioned to a few people, the same core group of people will make it a point to attend NALM, no matter where it is. And quite frankly, those are the only ones you can truly count on. (Thus the Committee)

Regards,

Matt
1. thats soo true, i cant find a single person who didn't have fun..

2. i kinda understand what you are saying here, but why not let other people in on the committee, if they know what they are doing and have planned something like this before, why not let them in??? (not questioning the committee here at all just wondering why?)

3. but from what i understand, this was something that went from coast to coast, that is what i got from reading previous threads about NALM, so if it was on the east, then why not back on the western side of the states, if not somewhere in the middle which is kinda central? you know what im saying?

4. some of the people do have things that come up, i dont see why you couldnt be on the committee and HAVE to be there if something came up, its like when you have something to do thats somewhat important but when something else thats bigger and more important that happens, wouldn't you take care of the more importand and bigger thing?

thats just my .02 not that it matters to everyone on here, but its like, well if this is the way that i had read it and understood it, then it should be somewhere on the west if not in the central area..

so lets get some bids in.. :bigok: :bigok:

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
1. thats soo true, i cant find a single person who didn't have fun..

2. i kinda understand what you are saying here, but why not let other people in on the committee, if they know what they are doing and have planned something like this before, why not let them in??? (not questioning the committee here at all just wondering why?)

3. but from what i understand, this was something that went from coast to coast, that is what i got from reading previous threads about NALM, so if it was on the east, then why not back on the western side of the states, if not somewhere in the middle which is kinda central? you know what im saying?

4. some of the people do have things that come up, i dont see why you couldnt be on the committee and HAVE to be there if something came up, its like when you have something to do thats somewhat important but when something else thats bigger and more important that happens, wouldn't you take care of the more importand and bigger thing?

thats just my .02 not that it matters to everyone on here, but its like, well if this is the way that i had read it and understood it, then it should be somewhere on the west if not in the central area..

so lets get some bids in.. :bigok: :bigok:
1. so true

2,3. like brian said, what you can do is, place a bid, show you've done the ground work you say u can do, provide a outstanding bid, and you'll be on the committee when u win the bid. then show us how well put together and setup you made this event, then i don't see how next year you wont be able to assist in the committee.

you guys have been around for 18months, some of these guys are back from the legend.org days, and easy a-l.com days. guys who have been thru planning a nalm event and event succesfully. prove your worth imho then u can be on the committee.

I as a member of a-l.com and someone who has attended a nalm event, and have put on a few meets myself in chicago, am totally confident in our committee from their past history. :bowdown: all the props to them. i can't wait for next year, no matter where it is.

as for the whole coast to coast thing, this is the first event for east coast, its been in the western portion of midwest for a few years. its been west once too now. i think its probably the best to just throw it upto give the entire nation, and who isn't says canada peepz shouldn't place a bid.

i think you guys are looking at this all wrong.

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I need to add a couple of edits above, but instead of just changing that post, I'll add them here so you don't have to read that whole novel above!

The committee started as Dave, Tyson and I. We added Ben after the Vegas meet for his expertise and valuable info he could provide to the meet. After this year in Chattanooga, the committee decided to include Stevieray simply because he was willing to do whatever it took to make this meet happen, and he demonstrated that fact time and time again. He also shared the common vision that the rest of the committee members have, and that typically means when one of us has an idea about the meet, we send an email that is usually responded to with "I agree" and "agreed" responses: meaning we all typically think alike and are usually on the same page. Lastly, SR was included to break ties since there were 4 of us, and as we continue to grow and put more into this event, there will be deadlocked decisions that we need a swing vote on.

As I see it, after next years event, we may end up adding additional members to the committee based on what they have done to further the current events, and their committment to NALM.

As far as something coming up, *knock on wood* none of the committee members have experienced that yet, I'm sure it will happen, but I like to think the Legend Lover In The Sky is smiling upon us and making sure we're all able to attend - Legend or not. Dave made Vegas without driving, and Ben flew into Chattanooga this year. It's that kind of passion to attend that all of the NALM Committee members share - we'll do almost anything to be at the meet every year.

Damn, I'm preaching again!

EDIT: Also, the whole rotation of venue thing didn't really work out so well this year, so we're trying something new for 2009 with national bids from the start. If that doesn't work, we'll figure something else out. They way I see it, if you're passionate about helping to throw this meet, let your bid be the starting place and lets go from there. I have no problem driving up to the Pacific NW for NALM...:D

21 - 40 of 177 Posts