Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I must say that I havn't been posting on this site for quite a while. It sure is good to be back.

I am currently struggling with my exhaust set-up that I have. I have a cold air intake, bayou stage II chip, and a cat-back 2.5" exhaust with a 2.5" Dynomax Superturbo muffler. What I am not sure about in this set-up... is the muffler.

The muffler was a recent add on. The only problem is that it's not a straight through. It was a mistake on my part when I bought it. There is an "S" bend inside the muffler, and I feel that this may be too restrictive... just as much, or even more than the stock muffler. What are your thoughts? When I first got the muffler about 2 weeks ago, I didn't feel much of a horsepower gain at all, and I just put in my Bayou chip today, and agian... not that much of a change. I am beginning to think that this muffler is way too restrictive. Again, please give me whatever your thoughts are on the subject.

Also, in getting a different muffler, I am thinking of getting a 2.5" in, dual out, Matrix stainless steel muffler from a shop that does my exhaust work. That runs about $200. Do any of you have this muffler, or heard any good or bad things about it? Ideally I would like a Remus, but I don't want to spend that much on a muffler.

Again, any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Lankan

·
Registered
139 Posts
I haven't heard of that muffler but if you want a good straight through muffler try looking at the magnaflow mufflers. I got a very nice custom cat back setup for $200 out the door with muffler tip and all custom made piping. It definately could be your muffler that's not letting the power out, I know I felt a huge difference as soon as I put mine on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fun92,

Thanks for your advice man. I went ahead and got that muffler put in. I am loving it... can definitely feel the difference. The only thing I need to get used to is the noise. Especially between 2 and 3 thousand rpm, when I'm on the freeway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, that's what I've noticed about mine too. It's okay as soon as you get over 80 though:D I'm going to talk to the exhaust shop tomorrow to see if there is anything I can do to either move the noisy range or get rid of it completely. I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
im going to the muffler shop tomorrow to get my exhaust done. can anyone give any tips as to wat to look/ask for.

also, im unsure about putting a free flow converter in there because of the noise, but the HP difference is hard to pass up. anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Safoo,

I recomend that you not change the catalytic converter, as the car might sound a bit noisy after that. I had a cat back done, and when they cut the piping near the cat, I looked inside. To my amazement, the honeycomb area of the cat was only taking up about 30% of the total length of the cat (the part of it closest to the engine). The rest of the cat is just a hollow tube. Now I don't know which model you have, but mine is a 94GS, and that is how it is set-up.

I think that you would be happy getting a 2.5" cat-back piping done with a 2.5" straight through muffler. I recently got a Matrix muffler (single in, dual out) and am happy with it. Something similar would be a Magnaflow, but I think that that is a bit louder. Hopefully this helps. Good luck

Lankan

·
Registered
847 Posts
sorry, but I just discovered this post:D Asanga, Dean has put in a racing resonator which doesn't restrick air flow but cuts down noise, you might want to ask him about that.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts