Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just replaced that on friday evening in my car. The acura manual didn't have very specific instructions. Just be ready to spend a few good hours on this project before you start... Not too hard though. Also... there are a ton of screws... you may want to make a diagram for this one or keep them straight in your mind.

First.... unhook your negative terminal from your battery.
Next, you have to take this bar thing off from below the glove box. Two screws and then pull down- has one clip in the middle.
Next, take off the two screws that hold the glove box hinges in. Then open the glove box and manuver it out. Unclip the wire to it.
Next, take out the four screws from the black shroud that is above the glove box.
Next, Take the screws out of the black shroud on the bottom(not sure how many screws.
Next, manuver the black vent pipe piece out. then unscrew the righthand section and take it out as well.
Next, take out the screws from the silver metal cross brace that was holding the hinges of the glove box. I think there are 3 screws and one 10mm bolt.
Next, unhook the two lines from under the hood that go through the firewall.
Next, you need to take out the middle left portion of the box in front of you. I had to loosen the right portion to get it out but Im not sure this is necessary. There are about 5 10mm bolts and screws holding it in. Take those out and pull the whole thing out. It took me about 5 min to just pull the thing out.
Next, use a flathead screwdriver to pop off the clips from the outer casing and use a philips for the two screws around the two lines.
Next, unscrew everything, replace orings. These lines are pretty tight and have weird sizes. I ended up using mostly monkey wrenches on the connections. Also, make sure to replace the tape that wraps the sensor around the one pipe. I just took the old tape off and use zip ties to put it back on. Also take off the tape/insulation from the two lines goig through the firewall and put it on the new unit.
Installation is reverse. But, the lines may have to be bent slightly to fit back into the casing surrounding the evaporator. Just be careful with them. OH yeah- don't forget to cap all the open ends imediately. You don't want air or moisture in ur AC system. The hardest part is getting the little drip hose to go back in. I just had to work with it for a lil while.

Wow, hope this helps. Just think, you are prolly saving about $300 by installing this yourself. BTW, I didn't replace the expansion valve but I had it recharged on saturday and they couldn't detect any leaks on the most sensative setting. Ask me if you have any other questions and lemme know how it goes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I hear you... I got a really good deal on my parts from a small company from TX. I got my evaporator core for $85 and a reciever/dryer for $20. He has other parts too. The guy was pretty friendly and helped me out a lot with my order even though he isn't one to write much. The price is right though. The website was www.hancockindustries.com and his email address is [email protected]. The guys name is David. Check him out. Lemme know how it goes man. Oh- btw. Most stuff comes with orings but make sure you have enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts