Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,012 Posts
It's easier said than done.

First you're gonna need a breaker bar or an air wrench to get the bolt behind the steering wheel off. BE CAREFUL when removing the airbag. Actually, if you did a search you will find a DIY. MikeD wrote one up.

Looks like the thread is missing, or the pics are gone I can't find it.

It's fairly easy once you get the wheel off, just be CAREFUL as all hell when messing with the SRS/Airbags. Even with the battery terminal disconnected the seatbelt tensioners still work and you CAN deploy the airbag in your face.

Best bet is to pay the $100 to have a local mechanic install it.

· ***ned
4,631 Posts
Air Bags aren't a sensative as you think. If you have a repair manual for your car it tells you how to disable the Bags for servicing. Just follow those instruction and you won't have to worry about deploying the bags or setting off the blasting caps in the seatbelt tensioners.

Later!
Lenny

· Registered
3,012 Posts
1_Hot_Legend_L said:
Air Bags aren't a sensative as you think. If you have a repair manual for your car it tells you how to disable the Bags for servicing. Just follow those instruction and you won't have to worry about deploying the bags or setting off the blasting caps in the seatbelt tensioners.

Later!
Lenny
Never had a haynes, how does one do this? I'm going to pull the clockspring for my car to sell this week.

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
morbo said:
Actually, if you did a search you will find a DIY. MikeD wrote one up.
Looks like the thread is missing, or the pics are gone I can't find it.
That's right, Jeff. No wonder why. All my DIY's and threads got deleted :(. Time to re-write it. Please wait if possible. It needs a bit time because of my bad English ;) -Mike

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Here is a rough guide for you: DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST
Removing steering wheel-
1. Pop out the wheel controls, radio volume and cruise control buttons.
2. Once those are removed, remove the torx screws that hold the airbag in place.
3. Unplug airbag relay and remove airbag.
3. Remove the bolt that holds the wheel to the column. This bolt will be on tight so either get an air gun or start working out.
4. Remove wheel and you will see the clock spring.

That's just off the top of my head. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
MikeD said:
Time to re-write it. Please wait if possible. It needs a bit time because of my bad English ;) -Mike
Ok I did it. Man this needed 3 hrs to write it. Hope you all can read it ;). Here are the links... SRS Airbag Removal / Steering Wheel Removal. More DIY's will follow, but please gimme a lil bit time ;) You guys need only some min's whereby I need several hrs :( -Mike

· Registered
3,012 Posts
MikeD said:
Ok I did it. Man this needed 3 hrs to write it. Hope you all can read it ;). Here are the links... SRS Airbag Removal / Steering Wheel Removal. More DIY's will follow, but please gimme a lil bit time ;) You guys need only some min's whereby I need several hrs :( -Mike
MikeD strikes again!

· Registered
3,012 Posts
I'm parting out my Legend Mike, a Haynes or helms would be useful, but I can't find one or afford one really.

PM sent.

· has left the building
7,314 Posts
One helpful little hint that I found out last week---when you remove the steering wheel nut, go to the dealer and get a new one to replace it. I was told that that nut is brass coated and forms part of the ground for the steering wheel volume control. When the nut is removed & retightened, it typically scrapes off the coating and results in an intermittant ground to the controls. Apparently this was a problem on the G1s, some Legends and the 96-97 RLs.

As far as installing the clockspring, the new ones already come aligned properly so you shouldn't have to wind it clockwise until it stops and then counter-clockwise until the alignment mark shows in the lower left corner. Other than that, installation is pretty straightforward. Just make sure your wheels are perfectly straight before you remove the steering wheel and you should be OK.

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
stevieray said:
One helpful little hint that I found out last week---when you remove the steering wheel nut, go to the dealer and get a new one to replace it.
Exactly Steve. I forgot it to mention. The reason is the "Self Locking Nut" and its synthetic material, what prevents a self loosening. Once it got removed, this nut should always replaced. Thank you, Steve ;) -Mike

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
morbo said:
I'm parting out my Legend Mike, a Haynes or helms would be useful, but I can't find one or afford one really.
PM sent.
No problem, Jeff. If you want you can get all my manuals I have. Gimme a call and tell me what you want to have, and I put all .RAR files on my server. Should be no problem ;) -Mike

I have to go to bed. It's late now. I'll get back to you tomorrow ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.