Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My computer is finally starting to kick the bucket so I need a new one.

All I will use it for is

Internet
Small Business Accounting
Photoshoping things
Typing
Small PRojects

Basically just basic $hit.......

I phoned DELL, and they want 1900CDN +tax for this system....

1.7 gig P4
256mbram
40G HD
DVD +CDRW
17"monitor
3 year tech support
windows,
speakers
sounds card and all that stuff

Is that overkill? do I need that kinda system for my needs? Also, is it alright to buy Celeron processor, or should I stick with a current processor like the P4.
\
Help out a member that knows jack about what I really need, or really want. Thanx.... also, is it alright to buy those clone computers from copmuter stores and that.... they seem to be cheaper. Thanx again....:)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Too much for your needs??? You can never have enough of that when it comes to computers... this is my opinion, because I have:

PowerMac Dual 1.0 Ghz G4
120Gig HD
1.0Gig RAM
NVidia GEforce Titanium video card (128Megs)

and all that other Mac **** that comes on the computer, but I use mine for graphic design and Photoshopping, so I need that kind of power, but for you, that should be adequte... I'd get a larger HD though, because you never think that you need that much until you run out of space... Also, try more RAM, you can never have enough of that...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
For all the stuff you listed, you only need about 1GHz, 256-512MB RAM, about 60GB HD...

Don't overkill it, and don't switch to MAC, you'll have to learn a new OS, and MACs tend to be rather expensive. Unless you get an IMAC or something (lol)

Save some of that cash for the re-paint of your car =)

·
Registered
671 Posts
what future said... definitely get a dell. get a little slower processor (and when you are talking about intel processors, if you drop 2 or 3 tiers down in terms of speed you save mucho dinero!), the least amount of ram you can buy (probably 128), at least a 19" trinitron or 17" flat panel monitor (believe me, after a year of being on a 17", you'll want bigger), and at least a 40gb hard drive. the dvd and cdrw are personal choices, and up to you, as they are nice, but not necessary. now, the reason i said to get the least amount of ram is because it is *much* cheaper to buy the least abount from dell, and then buy a lot from www.crucial.com than the other way around. i just helped a friend buy a laptop from dell, and we saved her over $100 by buying the memory this way. crucial memory is some of the best memory on the market as well. let us know if you have any other questions,

wally

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They offer the P4 at 1.7 and up, and then the celeron from there down. Also, the 4400 series is upgradeable, and the 2100/2200 series are not very upgradeable apparently (intergrated sounds/video cards, only 1 extra CD slot, etc). So what about the processor then..... P4 or Celeron? I know both are made by Intel, but is there much difference between say a 1.6 celeron and a 1.7 P4??

Also Wally, Their special this week is free delivery and when you buy the CDRW, you get the DVD for free. So I guess that would not hurt because I want a CDRW anyways. And you are saying go with least anount of ram, so I can upgrade with better ram for cheaper??

Thanx guys....

·
Registered
847 Posts
you'll want a P4 because of the difference in motherboard. I doubt that intel can push FC-PGA2 celerons any further. Stick with P4, you'll at least know that you can put in something faster in the future. As of memory, you should get 256MB to be on the safe side. Memory doesn't cost that much like before, so you should play it safe. 256MB should be enough for the next few years. Just make sure that Dell's warranty service technicians won't bother you when they find out that the memory is not from Dell. Also, try to get DDR memory, regular SDRAM will only drag down the performance and you don't need highend Rambus memory for these applications.

·
Registered
671 Posts
yes, mckenzie - go with the p4. since you are not going to be using it for anything extremely cpu intensive, i would just go with the lowest speed one (unless it is only ~$50 to upgrade from a 1.7ghz to a 2ghz or something drastic like that). as for model, i would go with the 4400, because of the upgradeability, as you said. also, the memory used in the 4400 is ddr ram, as claus suggested. dell usually had good/interesting specials, and there is no reason not to take advantage of them : ) in terms of the ram, yes, buy less ram now because it is *way* more expensive than buying it later from crucial. i like crucial for several reasons: they are very high quality, they are the only u.s. memory manufacturer (based in idaho, they are actually affiliated with micron computers), for their quality, they are a great deal, and they offer 2-day fedex shipping for free when you order from their website. i would recommend ordering your computer from dell, and then jumping straight onto crucial's website and ordering your memory (i just checked, and it is $63 for 256mb of ram).

wally

G

·
Dude, ok first of all, don't buy a computer from Dell!!!!!

All you or just about anybody else needs for normal computing is:

CPU: AMD AthlonXP 1600+
Fan: OEM one or get a Volcano 6 or 7
Motherboard: MSI KT3 Pro
RAM: 256MB PC2100 DDR
HD: 40GB 7200RPM ATA/100
DVD: 16x DVD-ROM
CD-RW: 24x CD-RW (these can be had for cheap now)
Monitor: 17" is great, but there is no need to get one
from dell or any company when you can go
out and pick up one that you like and not
have to pay for shipping
Video Card: GeForce2 MX200 if you aren't gonna be playing any games
GeForce4 MX440 if you are going to play a few games
possibly
Sound Card: Built-in to the motherboard
Speakers: Pick up some altec lansing 3 pc speakers for cheap somewhere
for cheap

Some other things are just like floppy drive, windows xp home, microsoft office xp small business or standard, and..... little misc things that I'm sure you can figure out

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love my Dell. Excellent service too. They seemed to cost a little more than some other stuff when I was looking last fall, but I have not a single complaint to offer.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I go with a dell, and get their standard RAM (128 DDR-SDRAM), do I buy a crucial ram and add it to the 128 MB RAM already in there (giving me 384MB) or is it a swap, so I am just left with 256 MB RAM?

·
Registered
671 Posts
mckenzie - you would add it, giving you 384mb. also, the reason i am recommending that you buy from dell instead of building your own, is because of the warranty support. you may end up paying a little more initially, but in the end, i think it makes sense to have a little insurance : ) my mom bought a dell ~2 years ago and last fall, her video card started crapping out on her. i took a look at it, and determined that it was the video card (and not the monitor); i called and told dell, and they had someone out the next day to replace it. no charge. when you buy a computer, definitely don't skimp on the warranty length - it cann and probably save you some money down the line.

wally

·
Registered
366 Posts
hey mckenzie..

if that's all you need to do then I advise you to go out there and build your own computer and save some money all you need to get is:

-Pentium3 CPU- maybe 500-800 mgh

-Ethernet card if you're planning to get Cable or DSL internet connection

-You probably dont even need a expensive video card because you wont be playing any games or watching movies on it..so maybe a GeForce 2 video card or something.

-A mother board for the P3 chip. Preferably Asus.

-A couple of memory cards....256 kb (two 128 cards) should be sufficient...DDRAM is pretty good....

-A operating system ...Win98-00 is stable...or XP (make sure your printer or whatever you have connected to your computer is compatible to XP though)

-A strong Powersupply...probably 300 watts..or more..

-Your old cdrom, floppy drive should still be good if you're not going to use it for anything big...

-You should be good enough with a 10-20 gig harddrive...If your old one is pretty big..just stick with that one....

-Then all you need left is just the software that you need...Microsoft Office Suite......Photoshop...etc...

There you go man...a working computer that is probably less then 1000....and installing is pretty easy..but if you dont know much bout computers...the computer store that you bought the stuff from should be able to help you install..and they could have warranties also...

If that's all you're going to be doing with your computer....you don't even need no 1-2 gig computer.....unless you want top of line..

my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ITS A DONE DEAL NOW....

Well thanx for all your responses guys. I weighed in a few options about building my own system, getting a brand name, and so on. I just dont have faith in a custom built system. I want something reliable...... and something with warranty...... my biggest concern since my business info is all on there. SO I shopped around in town a bit, and A custom built system by some places was more expensive than a Dell. In other cases, it was about $300 cheaper, but It did not seem right. It was like it was being built in a sweat shop by some shaddy character with really cheap parts... and no warranty except for..."you bring it in":rolleyes: . So this is what I went with.

Dell Dimension 4500 series
Pentium 4, 1.8 GHZ
256MB DDR-SDRAM
40gig HD
17"monitor, Keyboard, Mouse
32 bit rage video card (I rarely play games, if ever)
1024 digital soundcard
Harmon kardon Speakers
CDRW
DVD
Network Card
Windows XP

Grand total $1819 including tax and shipping. Thats abour $1100-$1200 US. It arrives in two weeks (hopefully).

Thanx again for all your ideas...:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Buy a cheap computer.

I very involved in the computer industry and I can give you a few pointers:

1. You get more bang for your buck with an AMD processor
2. Anything over 512MB DDR/SDRAM is overkill unless you are running a server or doing VERY heavy applications (Nothing like photoshop, office, internet etc)
3. I do NOT recommend purchasing a name brand computer. If you can find a reliable local shop offering custom built or barebones computers by all means purchase one.

Depending on your budget, I would say you can get by VERY easily with a 1.5+GHZ machine with 256MB RAM and a 20+ GB harddrive. Might seem small in comparison, but you can easily run every internet/graphics editing application without issue. By purchasing top-of-the-line you are simply wasting money (Price will be more than 30% less in a matter of months anyway.)

OOPS: Guess I should read the last post... :)

Well hopefully you did not make a mistake with DELL. I have seen a wide range of problems with their systems, even coming from the factory with options like USB and COM ports DISABLED in BIOS! Their corporate machine packages seem to be well built, but other than that and they are going for the cheapest manufactured components (to offer cheaper consumer systems)... I wish you luck though!

G

·
I'm glad to hear at least that you stuck with Dell instead of going with another company. Retail wise like someone said before Dell is the best company.

For anybody else out there, if you can find a high school or college kid that builds computers (like me ;)), that is generally the best way to go. Most of the time this way your tech support will be more personal and you support will know right away what your computer is since the tech support person also built it, does maintenance on it, etc. Plus I'm sure that like me most small computer makers have a 1 year warranty on all the parts and even more on software.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SpeedDemon said:
I'm glad to hear at least that you stuck with Dell instead of going with another company. Retail wise like someone said before Dell is the best company.

For anybody else out there, if you can find a high school or college kid that builds computers (like me ;)), that is generally the best way to go. Most of the time this way your tech support will be more personal and you support will know right away what your computer is since the tech support person also built it, does maintenance on it, etc. Plus I'm sure that like me most small computer makers have a 1 year warranty on all the parts and even more on software.
A few people here have said that Dell is not that great, but from people I actually know who own Dell, they have nothing but good things to say. I was trying to avoid the buying through a friend route because the computer I have now was built by a friend of a friend, and everytime it has started doing what it is doing now (freezing etc...) I have had to disassemble, drive it to him, leave it with him until he gets his lazy ass in gear, and then go pick it up again. It was becoming a hassle, and it was like a thorn in his side because I would always call him and be like "dude your computer is a POS" and he would blame it on the internet and all that.

I bought Dells 3 year extended warranty, so I want a no hassles approach to fixing stuff if need be. I will let them deal with it instead of kicking myself for not buying from a reputable company.

·
I like shiny
14,385 Posts
I hear all of you talking about how great it is to get an extended warrenty. Thats wonderful, if you actually keep the computer that long. The computer I have right now is the longest I have ever had a computer-2 years in November. I might even upgrade in November.

3 year extended warrenty-wonderful except for the fact that your computer will be obsolete by then.

Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts